“Nice hotel, very good service”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 May 2006

This hotel is in a very good location on a quiet street. Easy walking distances to many attractions including Green and Hyde Parks. We had reserved 2 superior king and 1 single room. Upon check-in we were notified that we had been upgraded. The first room was called the "The Study". Though this room was "cute" - decorated as a victorian man's study, it was small, very dark and required going down a small flight of steps in the corridor. We passed and instead took room 319 which we were very pleased with. This room was tastefully decorated in taupe, fairly spacious and had a nice bath. The second room was the themed "Music Suite". This room was very attractive if not over the top in its theme. We loved it initially but if you don't like clutter and prefer a more "restful" decor choose the regular superior room. We got a little tired of the theme in our stay. The last room I assume was a classic double (420) and was very pleasant though small. The bath, however, was the largest of all the rooms. All rooms have modern baths with a "rain shower" type head. Good, powerful hair dryers are also supplied and the air-conditioning worked great. We also saw room 318 which was similar to 319 but done in a more feminine style. On our next stay we would want these rooms. The hotel staff was very accomodating and couldn't have been more professional or nice. We had one evening meal in the restaurant and thought the food and service was a high quality. The bar was also very comfortable and the staff great. In our three night stay the hotel hosted an afternoon wedding reception and a large business gathering. Both of these events took place in the conservatory so we didn't see much of that room. The hotel appears popular for local events.

Overall this is a very nice, small, traditional hotel with excellent, friendly service.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank cc0ca
There are newer reviews for The Chesterfield Mayfair

Reviewed 3 May 2006

i have stayed at the chesterfield mayfair a number of times on business. i find the service, throughtout the hotel, to be top notch. it is a warm and friendly environment where the management and staff aim to please their guests. they succeed. the restaurant is a hidden gem which i dine in regularly. however, the true testimonial is that i have brought a number of locals to dine here (Butler's Restaurant) for the first time and they are now coming on their own and bringing others. the location is very close to the green park tube station which makes getting around the city easy. you will be very happy you selected this hotel.

Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank simplicate
Reviewed 2 May 2006

Three friends and I recently stayed five nights at the Chesterfield Mayfair. The service was excellent. All of the staff members we encountered couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. The little touches such as the daily newspaper with the weather report and daily newsletters from the hotel were much appreciated. My friend and I had a corner twin, which was large by European standards and the noise from the street was minimal. The only glitch, was that my other two friends, did not recieve the twin room we booked. (We booked two twins.) The staff did convert a king into two twins for them and it worked fine. I would not hesitate to stay there again and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank SugarCreek
Reviewed 2 May 2006

As our Easter trip to London was very special...we were extemely pleased with this hotel.
Pleasant, professional, excellent dining recommendations even though we didn't have an opportunity to have dinner in their beautiful restaurant. We did have the traditional breakfast daily and it was excellent.
the rooms were immaculate...very important to us as i have a bit of a phobia and my husband gets very picky about hotels as he travels for a living.the beds were made twice daily and the marble bathroom was spotless.
The area was very upscale and great walking distance to many places...piccadilly, buckingham palace, westminster etc...
Also some very nice little places right around the hotel for great Indian food or a cocktail.
This will be an annual trip for us and we will indeed stay here.
Michelle Hughes

Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed 1 May 2006

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday at the end of March/start of April 2006. I chose the hotel based upon previous comments here in Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed.

From the moment you step through the door you enter another world, one where service is exceptional and every member of staff is warm and welcoming. In all my years I cannot recall a hotel offering a friendlier, more efficient service. Nothing was too much trouble.

I had booked a table at a special restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday but after experiencing the excellent breakfast and (again) excellent service, we decided to eat in the hotel on our second night. Once again, the service was impecable, friendly and spot on. The food was excellent and easily equalled that of the night before (and was the better dining experience of the two).

The room had a super kingsize Hypnos bed which gave me my best sleep in a long time (I slept so well, I lifted the sheets to check out the make!). The room had everything you needed and was a reasonable size, larger than some other London hotel rooms I have stayed in.

I cannot fault any aspect of my stay at this hotel. It is run by very genuine and friendly people and I highly commend it.

My only concern in making such a recommendation is that it sets the bar of expectation so high that some people may arrive expecting, nay demanding, the impossible. What I will say is that you will have a more personal, cosseted and welcoming experience than you would if you were staying in any large hotel chain. I do not believe it can be beaten - and, being fortunate enough to be able to spend several hundred pounds on a weekend break, I take no issue at having £1.00 ($1.75) added to my bill and matched by the hotel to go to such a deserving charity. Well done for raising nearly £100,000 ($175,000).

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Gadgeteer1066
A TripAdvisor Member
Sevenoaks, Kent
Reviewed 29 April 2006

My girlfriend and I had the privilege of staying in this delightful hotel for one night in early February. Having read all the reviews posted on tripadvisor before booking, I had high expectations of the Chesterfield Mayfair. Even so the hotel managed to exceed my expectations in every way. The staff were overwhelmingly polite, courteous and helpful, the food divine and the room delightful (and, for a London hotel, surprisingly spacious.)

The only one note of disappointment in a otherwise amazing weekend was that, when we arrived at the hotel early in the morning, we found (as expected) that our room wasn't ready. We left our luggage at the hotel, in addition to a bouquet of roses which I had given to my girlfriend. Upon returning to the hotel in the evening, we were disappointed to find that the roses had merely been dumped in our room, therefore being out of water for several hours. Nonetheless, this is a minor negative factor in an otherwise fabulous experience. To our surprise, when we commented on this upon leaving our feedback at the hotel, a couple of weeks later we received a personal letter from the manager extending his apologies for this oversight.

Finally....the breakfast was superb!!

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 April 2006

After reading London Hotel reviews on this site, I booked a reservation for a family of 5. We were in London from 4/15/06 to 4/21/06. This is a very lovely hotel. Given the size of our family, we had to book both a double and a triple room. We ran into a snag at check in. They had promised that our rooms would be next to each other. One of rooms was vacated before the 2nd one. This gave us a chance to check into one of the rooms and start to recover from jet lag. When the second was available, we were told it was on another floor. I reiterated that the rooms were supposed to be together. They sent up an manager who kindly upgraded us to a second triple for the same price. Very accomodative. This placed the rooms close to each other. All of our interactions with the staff were positive. Everyone was cheerful, helpful and engage you in small talk.

As mentioned in many posts the area is beautiful. I am ready to look for a home on Charles Street. The cars parked on the street are indicative of the neighborhood. Ferrari's, BMW;s, Bentley's, Aston Martin's, Lotus and a couple I did not even recognize. I am sure those residencies are in the multimillion range. The hotel was close to the tube, probably about a 4-5 block walk around Berkely Square. It is close to Shephard's Market. The rooms are snug as we expected, but we never felt cramped. The hotel is tidy, neat and well appointed. It is in an English Manor style. They have turn-down service in the evening. They provided letters under the door showcasing upcoming hotel and London events. The rooms have all the amenaties one would expect to see at a Four Seasons including hair dryer, iron, robs, slippers, safe etc. The slippers came in useful due to a false fire alarm just after midnight one evening. The staff unecessarily apologized profusely the next morning.

Two things stand out. We booked directly with the hotel and they included breakfast with our hotel rate. For a family of 5 this was useful. It became part of our routine to trudge downstairs in the morning. The staff were very very friendly especially the Maitre D's. At first we thought only the continental breakfast was included. We quickly found out the kids could order anything they wanted off the menu and it was included. This was helpful given our 3 sons are picky preteens/teens. It started the days off well. The second pleasure was the lounge. Yes, it is London and the drinks are expensive given the weakness of the dollar. The lounge was quaint and intimate. It was never crowded. I can't say enough about the gentleman who played the piano there. He was very friendly and talented. My wife and I took a break there every night. On Thursday night he returned with a Jazz trio. This was our last night and we enjoyed it immensely. The live music in this small setting was engaging. During the days, we were out and about sightseeing. We did not have a chance to sample any of the other meals at the hotel Another aside is the fact that there is a pub down the block called" I am the Only Running Footman". My wife was excited to see this being she is a big Martha Grimes fan.

We did all the usual tourist things in London. We rode the Big Bus tour the first day. It was an easy way to recover from jet lag and get the layout of the city. We also did the Londoneye that day. We visited Covent Garden (one of our favorite things), the Tower of London, St Paul's, Westminster, Hampton Court, London Bridege, Harrods & the British Museum among other walks. All of those are a "must see". We saw Billy Elliot.....highly recommended. The kids loved it. We had tea at the Ritz which was much good fun. My oldest son had his first champagne there. The only disappointments were Rules Restaurant which was pricey with poorly cooked meat, perfuntory service and small portions. Harrods was interesting for the food areas but is also pricey. The one pleasure there is that unlike American stores, no one hounds you every 2 minutes to ask if you need help. The English restraint was refreshing. We had to stop by to pick up some pudding we had promised for some English friends who helped us plan the trip. One ocaution, we took the London Heathrow Express. With 5 passengers, it may have been more economical to get a car. Given five passengers and much luggage we needed 2 cabs from Paddington Station to get the hotel. The cost was about 18 pounds total. On the return the hotel called a van for us. He charged us 35 pounds for an 8 minute ride. Considering 2 taxis were half that cost, I thought that was excessive.

All in all the Chesterfield Hotel was a great experience. We would highly recommend for anyone planning a London trip and looking for a hotel that offers alot compared to other lodgings in London

• Stayed: April 2006