“Wonderful stay, wonderful staff, charming hotel”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #13 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
southern Ontario
“Wonderful stay, wonderful staff, charming hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2006

We have just returned from a stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair, ending our trip to the Uk there. It certainly deserves the reviews we read on Trip advisor, having chosen the hotel primarily because of those reviews. The staff is simply wonderful, could not have been more helpful in planning things to do, making recommendations for dining, transit etc. The rooms are very comfortable, well furnished and spotlessly clean. We did have a bit of traffic noise with the location of the room, but it was not too bothersome and really cannot be helped. The bathrooms are spotless, well supplied and have lovely heated marble floors. We had a king room and a twin room down the hall for 2 teens. The rooms are serviced morning and evening, with water placed at the bedside each evening along with the television guide and even a snack menu and slippers placed alongside the bed!
We dined in Butlers restaurant and the food was excellent, with a fixed price menu option for 2 or 3 courses. Service was again outstanding and the staff was very abundant, professional yet very friendly, taking time to chat with us. We did find breakfast extremely expensive, we are not big eaters in the morning, so the continental buffet at 16.95 each was too much for the amount we had, there were a number of small cafe places nearby when we were setting out other mornings for sightseeing etc which suited us a bit better. We had drinks in the bar which was charming and had an excellent pianist which we enjoyed.
Overall, for staff, location, comfort, we would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank jayj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 May 2006

This hotel is in a very good location on a quiet street. Easy walking distances to many attractions including Green and Hyde Parks. We had reserved 2 superior king and 1 single room. Upon check-in we were notified that we had been upgraded. The first room was called the "The Study". Though this room was "cute" - decorated as a victorian man's study, it was small, very dark and required going down a small flight of steps in the corridor. We passed and instead took room 319 which we were very pleased with. This room was tastefully decorated in taupe, fairly spacious and had a nice bath. The second room was the themed "Music Suite". This room was very attractive if not over the top in its theme. We loved it initially but if you don't like clutter and prefer a more "restful" decor choose the regular superior room. We got a little tired of the theme in our stay. The last room I assume was a classic double (420) and was very pleasant though small. The bath, however, was the largest of all the rooms. All rooms have modern baths with a "rain shower" type head. Good, powerful hair dryers are also supplied and the air-conditioning worked great. We also saw room 318 which was similar to 319 but done in a more feminine style. On our next stay we would want these rooms. The hotel staff was very accomodating and couldn't have been more professional or nice. We had one evening meal in the restaurant and thought the food and service was a high quality. The bar was also very comfortable and the staff great. In our three night stay the hotel hosted an afternoon wedding reception and a large business gathering. Both of these events took place in the conservatory so we didn't see much of that room. The hotel appears popular for local events.

Overall this is a very nice, small, traditional hotel with excellent, friendly service.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank cc0ca
new york, ny
Reviewed 3 May 2006

i have stayed at the chesterfield mayfair a number of times on business. i find the service, throughtout the hotel, to be top notch. it is a warm and friendly environment where the management and staff aim to please their guests. they succeed. the restaurant is a hidden gem which i dine in regularly. however, the true testimonial is that i have brought a number of locals to dine here (Butler's Restaurant) for the first time and they are now coming on their own and bringing others. the location is very close to the green park tube station which makes getting around the city easy. you will be very happy you selected this hotel.

Stayed May 2006
8 Thank simplicate
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 May 2006

Three friends and I recently stayed five nights at the Chesterfield Mayfair. The service was excellent. All of the staff members we encountered couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. The little touches such as the daily newspaper with the weather report and daily newsletters from the hotel were much appreciated. My friend and I had a corner twin, which was large by European standards and the noise from the street was minimal. The only glitch, was that my other two friends, did not recieve the twin room we booked. (We booked two twins.) The staff did convert a king into two twins for them and it worked fine. I would not hesitate to stay there again and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank SugarCreek
Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed 2 May 2006

As our Easter trip to London was very special...we were extemely pleased with this hotel.
Pleasant, professional, excellent dining recommendations even though we didn't have an opportunity to have dinner in their beautiful restaurant. We did have the traditional breakfast daily and it was excellent.
the rooms were immaculate...very important to us as i have a bit of a phobia and my husband gets very picky about hotels as he travels for a living.the beds were made twice daily and the marble bathroom was spotless.
The area was very upscale and great walking distance to many places...piccadilly, buckingham palace, westminster etc...
Also some very nice little places right around the hotel for great Indian food or a cocktail.
This will be an annual trip for us and we will indeed stay here.
Michelle Hughes

Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Michelle H
Manchester UK
Reviewed 1 May 2006

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday at the end of March/start of April 2006. I chose the hotel based upon previous comments here in Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed.

From the moment you step through the door you enter another world, one where service is exceptional and every member of staff is warm and welcoming. In all my years I cannot recall a hotel offering a friendlier, more efficient service. Nothing was too much trouble.

I had booked a table at a special restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday but after experiencing the excellent breakfast and (again) excellent service, we decided to eat in the hotel on our second night. Once again, the service was impecable, friendly and spot on. The food was excellent and easily equalled that of the night before (and was the better dining experience of the two).

The room had a super kingsize Hypnos bed which gave me my best sleep in a long time (I slept so well, I lifted the sheets to check out the make!). The room had everything you needed and was a reasonable size, larger than some other London hotel rooms I have stayed in.

I cannot fault any aspect of my stay at this hotel. It is run by very genuine and friendly people and I highly commend it.

My only concern in making such a recommendation is that it sets the bar of expectation so high that some people may arrive expecting, nay demanding, the impossible. What I will say is that you will have a more personal, cosseted and welcoming experience than you would if you were staying in any large hotel chain. I do not believe it can be beaten - and, being fortunate enough to be able to spend several hundred pounds on a weekend break, I take no issue at having £1.00 ($1.75) added to my bill and matched by the hotel to go to such a deserving charity. Well done for raising nearly £100,000 ($175,000).

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank Gadgeteer1066
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 April 2006

My girlfriend and I had the privilege of staying in this delightful hotel for one night in early February. Having read all the reviews posted on tripadvisor before booking, I had high expectations of the Chesterfield Mayfair. Even so the hotel managed to exceed my expectations in every way. The staff were overwhelmingly polite, courteous and helpful, the food divine and the room delightful (and, for a London hotel, surprisingly spacious.)

The only one note of disappointment in a otherwise amazing weekend was that, when we arrived at the hotel early in the morning, we found (as expected) that our room wasn't ready. We left our luggage at the hotel, in addition to a bouquet of roses which I had given to my girlfriend. Upon returning to the hotel in the evening, we were disappointed to find that the roses had merely been dumped in our room, therefore being out of water for several hours. Nonetheless, this is a minor negative factor in an otherwise fabulous experience. To our surprise, when we commented on this upon leaving our feedback at the hotel, a couple of weeks later we received a personal letter from the manager extending his apologies for this oversight.

Finally....the breakfast was superb!!

• Stayed February 2006