“Best hotel of my life!”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I have been lucky enough to stay in many wonderful and exclusive hotels and this was the best. When we arrived the service was fantastic with helpful and friendly staff. We had a beautiful room with IPOD speakers, a huge bed, a jacuzzi in the bath and a wonderful view of London. The hotel treated us to champagne and canapes and gave us helpful advice for anything we needed. The silent night, comfy bed and breakfast in the morning all added to the stay. The location was great and if it hadn't been for the rain we were going to have a walk in Green Park on the Sunday. I didn't want to leave in the morning! I can highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K-Spark
There are newer reviews for The Chesterfield Mayfair

Reviewed 24 March 2010

I chose this hotel based on the reviews here at Tripadvisor. It's an incredible hotel. It's really well located, in a quiet area but near Piccadilly Circus. The decoration is beautiful, but by no means modern - it's an antique style, wich I loved. We made the reservation at the hotel website so as not to have any problems. We arrived at 5pm (after a lot of trouble with our flight) and we rushed to the room, wich was very nice, but didn't have a tub as we expected. We phoned the reception and asked if they had a bigger room with a bathtub and they promptly arranged us a wonderful room, bigger than the other and with a bathtub, as we asked, without any additional charges. The room is filled with some amenities such as women's magazines, iPod charger, pressing iron and so on. The staff was really nice, with no exception. We stayed for 10 nights and haven't had any problem. I just can't say anything about the breakfast as we chose not to have ours at the hotel. I don't think I would do it again; it was really difficult to have a decent breakfast in London - the traditional english breakfast consists mainly in bacon, eggs and things like beans and tomatoes, wich is really weird for us brazilians who eat mainly fruit and bread at breakfast. Also, about the afternoon tea, we chose not to have one at the Chesterfield, but at another very fancy hotel near Bond Street. It was really expensive and I hated it - greasy sweets and poor sandwiches - so I guess many hotel afternoon teas are bad even if the hotel is good.
Anyway, I reccomend the Chesterfield to anyone who wants to have comfort staying at London.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcalcia
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Pleasantly surprised at my recent stay at this hotel. Booked by a friend who we met at the hotel, I had not received any more info rather than the price, and I have to say ,this hotel provided value for money.
Breakfast was great, and the buffet element was very good indeed. I like the idea of ordering your hot breakfast element, rather than selecting from a hot buffet, so found this service great at the Chesterfield. Very good choice, well presented.
Room was fine, maybe a touch on the small side, but perfectly adequate, after all, you are in London and how much time are you going to spend in it?? Comfy bed, good shower and all the basics covered.
Service was very good, with nothing seeming like a trouble to the team. We had a Afternoon Tea included in our package, and when I asked the waiter if we could bring down the complimentary champagne from the room, he advised it was no problem, and then promptly changed our warm bottle for a chilled one. Good stuff. Afternoon tea was very good, and dont panic when they bring only one tray of goodies out for four of you, they do replenish them!!!
Only negative comment would be the Surly check out, early on Sun morning. It was early, but surely the Night Manager is used to this hour of the day, and could manage a thank you and a smile.
Other than that, great stay, and loved the sweets at the entrance to the restaurant. Forgotten how good "Fruit Salad" sweets were!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Looks great on their website but expect a reality check when you arrive (I was dissapointed). I booked a superior double and was amazed how small the bathroom was esp the shower over the bath - the fixed head shower rose is so low you cannot stand under it!

As its fixed head it comes down from the ceiling rather than off the wall on to your shoulders so unless you're very short you have to shower whilst bending your knees!!

I was shown another room which had exactly the same problem before being upgraded (superior king) where they had fixed the problem by building the shower head into the ceiling (although this was leaking).

They wanted to charge me for the upgrade until I had to ask for the manager...

When you book a hotel you expect to be able to stand and have a shower - basics!

Also noisy and fussy decor but that’s a personal taste thing.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank Jezza2222
Reviewed 20 March 2010

This review is a little late, but better late than never....

We spent a week at the Chesterfield Mayfair in October 2009 and enjoyed our stay. We had booked a Superior Room and specifically asked that it be located in a quiet area. That night we heard odd sounds, like someone dragging furniture, but it wasn't constant and there were no meeting rooms around us, so we decided to ignore this and press on.

The next night - sure thing - furniture moving again... long story short was we determined that one area of our room (307) backed onto the elevator... and this was what was likely causing the noise (cables and doors opening/closing)... so we approached the front desk and mentioned this - they didn't seem that 'surprised' by this and arranged to have us moved to another room (206)...

No odd noises in the new room... but... at 3am we were awoken by the noise of people partying in the next room... a call to the front desk seemed to get this resolved in about 15 minutes... and then about an hour later... we were awoken again... but this time due to a definitely different activity next door... this passed after a while...

The final five nights were great... quiet!!!

The service at the hotel is very good. Everyone greets you and says hello, people recognize you after a couple of days and inquire as to how you are enjoying your stay/visit, etc. Although we only ate dinner at Butler's Restaurant once during our stay, the meal and service were excellent.

As to our reservation, after deciding on the Chesterfield Mayfair (thx to TA), we checked out their website and noted the variety of special offers... after exchanging notes with them a few times, we were able to combine a series of offers for our one week stay... one theatre night, Mayfair weekend, and another special that I can't recall... By the way, if you are going to stay here, I highly recommend that you book a package that includes a full English breakfast... nice way to start the day, good value and excellent choices.

All in all, we really liked the Chesterfield Mayfair... their staff are great and it's central to everything... you really aren't more than a few blocks from most places which makes London suprisingly walkable... but if you need transportation - taxis and the tube are close by. When our travels take us back to London, we'll defnitely want to go back to the Chesterfield Mayfair.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We stayed for a weekend at the Chesterfield Mayfair in February to celebrate my husband’s 50th birthday.

We flew in to London City airport and the chauffeured car was there as the hotel promised, which was a lovely surprise for my husband.

As we arrived at 10am, I had asked in advance if there was a chance of having our room ready early, but I was doubtful. The Chesterfield didn’t disappoint! We were taken straight up.

The Superior King had lovely decor, a great shower/bath and plenty of room for clothes etc. A bottle of champagne with a personalised card was waiting. In addition, the nicest touch of all was that the staff had personally signed a birthday card for my husband.

We had drinks in the relaxing bar each evening, which were reasonably priced for a London hotel, and came with a variety of nibbles (free of charge!)

The English breakfast was simply one of the best I’ve ever had. The breakfast room was absolutely stunning, as was the breakfast. A huge variety of choice and the English breakfast was hot, fresh, and delicious. They even had marmite (my husband’s favourite!)

On the Sunday, we had the Traditional Afternoon tea. Sublime! Lots of little sandwiches, cakes and scones, along with a large pot of tea. All served in the lovely light conservatory.

We had late check out which was great, as our flight didn’t leave until 7pm Sunday evening.

It’s in a great location, minutes from the tubes and in a very quiet street.
All the staff were very friendly and approachable which made such a difference.

The only little down sides were:-
1) Room got far too hot, and although we turned the air con down as far as it would go, the cleaning staff kept turning it up!
2) We were locked out on our last day, as they’d forgotten to reprogramme our key.
3) Our King size double was actually 2 single pushed together.

Having said that, we’d go back again without hesitation (and will!)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Chesterfield in February 2010. What a pleasure the staff were so helpful and the room very comfortable. Would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends