“Ask for Tea & Coffee making when you check in !”

The Westbury Mayfair
Ranked #426 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 March 2014

An odd tip you might think , but unless you want to pay £5 per person in the Polo Bar after a hard days shop in Bond Street , take my advice. The service is complimentary but £3.50 service charge.

This is a fading gem of a hotel in Mayfair and as others report it needs an upgrade if it is to justify the high prices in bars and restaurants . However the staff were all very helpful , room size adequate ( ask for one the back if you want peace and quiet ) and the king size bed very comfortable.

The location of the Westbury gives it a huge advantage and with the up coming improvements promised by their General Manager it is to be hoped that it does not fade away. Don't forget the tea !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear ahomer1,

Thank you for choosing the Westbury Hotel and for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you passed an overall pleasant stay with us noting that you found our accommodation both comfortable and spacious, staff and service helpful and location on Bond Street ideal.
I appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding the revamp of certain of our facilities. We are proud of our 5-star rating and are diligent in maintaining this throughout the property. As you rightly mentioned, we are indeed planning on renovating some of our bedrooms to bring them up to par with the high quality and standards of our remaining luxury bedrooms and suites.
Finally, in regards to the £3.50 tray charge, this is a small fee often issued in luxury London hotels as it is the room service charge for the delivery of the tea and coffee making facilities which we offer our guests as a complimentary service.
To conclude, I do want to thank you again for all of your comments and suggestions regarding your recent stay with us and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Zeljko Stasevic

Write a ReviewReviews (1,505)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Staff were friendly and couldn't fault them. The food however was a massive let down. Well cooked but ultimately cheap ingredients at over inflated prices even for Mayfair. A shame. And don't believe the website when it states that all the rooms have CD/DVD facilities as they don't.

2  Thank Darren W
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Darren W,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us noting that you found the food and its ingredients to be ‘cheap’ and overpriced.
This is most regrettable and surprising as all our produce are delivered by only the top quality suppliers throughout our food and beverage outlets including: in-house dining and room service; Alyn Williams at the Westbury; Brasserie Chavot; Tsukiji Sushi Restaurant; and the Polo Bar.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could please provide me details of your recent dining experience (i.e. restaurant(s), date(s), order details etc…) as I would like to personally investigate the matter so that we may maintain the high level of food quality throughout all our outlets.
You may contact me directly on ta@westburymayfair and I thank you in advance for your time and assistance with this.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Should have got an idea when as i arrived at the hotel, struggled from the start as i entered the front doors with my luggage,was completely unattended by rude doormen, as I got to the reception I was finally offered assistance. Pleasantly welcomed by reception girl, her service was very helpful to me. Decor very worn and outdated, as I walked to my room I narrowly escaped a fall from peeling carpets in corridor. Room was a decent size although air conditioning was full with thick dust and wasn't able to use it. With this short stay I felt very deceived and overcharged for this service, and will not be staying again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank 948Veronique
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear 948Veronique,

Please accept my sincere apologies for having failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay with us at the Westbury Hotel. It is regrettable that your welcome to the hotel was not up to par with our high standards of service. I personally investigated the matter and have ensured that additional doormen are present so that such an incident does no reoccur. On another note, I am pleased that you found the service at our front desk both friendly and efficient.

I appreciate your feedback regarding your allocated accommodation being dated, and again would like to apologise that we did not meet your expectations in this respect. However, I am pleased to confirm that we will soon be refurbishing many of our rooms, which will bring all outstanding rooms up to par with the high quality we pride ourselves in.

I wish to conclude by expressing my deep regret that your recent stay fell below expectations and I do hope you will consider revisiting us as to give us an opportunity to change your opinion of the Westbury Hotel.

Should you wish to discuss the above matters in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at ta@westburymayfair.com

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The location is great. You're close to Westminster, nice shopping areas, Buckhingham palace, all that.

The hotel has decent sized rooms, but it's getting tired in some spots.
Decent bed, good wifi speed (albeit pricey), OK selection of tv channels.

Bathroom worn around the edges (examples: beat up/cracked moulding, worn granite, older carpet). That said, good service, clean, quiet.

I'd recommend it as long as you pay a good price via one of the websites like priceline, hotels.com, hotwire, etc. My rate included a full breakfast which was actually quite large (choice of eggs, omelette, french toast, etc, etc)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travel49424

Dear travel49424,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the convenience of our location in the heart of Mayfair, walking distance to the shops and bustle of Bond and Regent street and a stone throw away from Westminster.

I am sorry to hear your allocated accommodation did not meet your expectations as you noted that you anticipated a larger bathroom and you felt some of the facilities a bit dated. In regards to these, I am pleased to confirm that we will soon be undergoing refurbishments to many of our rooms which will bring these to the high standards synonymous with the Westbury.

I am however pleased that you enjoyed our signature Full English Breakfast and that you were overall pleased with the service provided.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was very apprehensive about this hotel after reading the reviews but was actually pleasantly surprised. We arrived on time for check in and we had phoned for a car park space previously but they said first come first serve but we was very pleased to see our name had been written down on the bellmans pad out front and he opened our car doors and took the car off us and parked it up which was a lovely touch.

It was a speedy check in and took about 5-10 minutes. We paid for a standard queen room and got given the second floor. Nice view of the street outside watching people go by.
The room was spotlessly clean with no smells ( and I'm the worst for picking faults and finding smells ;). The room was as it was on the website, nicely decorated with all that was stated.
It's missing tea and coffee facilities I'm afraid though, for the price you pay and it's 5* status it should defiantly have that. The mini bar is massively over priced which was disappointing but you don't have to use it. We did ;)
The bed was the best bed I've ever slept on! Solid, and when my partner moved and fidgeted I never :) not a lot of noise really going on either.
The bathroom I'm afraid to say is tiny and the bath is smaller than my own one, the shower and it's handles are quite out of date. With a 5 star hotel I would expect a huge walk in shower.
Other than that I did very much enjoy this hotel and would return in the future.

Just to add the bellman is helpful, professional and generally nice and friendly. Nice touch.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We enjoyed our stay. A nice welcome. The room was well furnished and very clean. The remote for the TV was painfully slow, but this was our only gripe in respect of the room. The Polo bar was good and the cocktails delicious. The service was very helpful. No turndown, but this did not concern us other than a bottle of water is always appreciated. I am unsure why the staff knocked on the door to deliver a leaflet which only detailed the busiest times for breakfast. Bazaar! Just slide it under the door!

Great location.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

When we arrived at the hotel in the glitz and glamour of Bond Street we were anticipating a luxury style and service; to my dismay we were afforded neither! The room was nothing like it was advertised. It was outdated and the style was cheap. To call this a '5 star' hotel is a disservice to the hotels that actually are. The room had clearly not been taken care of as there were several marks on the furnishings and walls. The size of the room was also disappointing and the fact that we were situated on the first floor looking out over the rubbish bins was also another unpleasant experience. We went downstairs to ask for another room and were left waiting at reception to be served and when we were the receptionist was rude and evasive about the standard of our room. We pre booked breakfast but even at the discounted price of £18 this was still largely overpriced as we were kept waiting to be served for 45 minutes and by that time the food was cold. The bar and restaurants were very expensive and the service was also quite woeful. All in all a very unpleasant stay and I don't see the hotel improving anytime soon. There are many more '5 star' hotels in the area and next time me and wife will most surely be staying with the competition.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!