“Great for insomniacs”

Ranked #393 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Jersey
“Great for insomniacs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Westbury is trading primarily on its brilliant location in Mayfair, only a short stroll to Regent St. No doubt a once great Mayfair hotel, now a tired shadow of its former self. The rooms are dated, pokey and worst of all separated by what would seem to be just wallpaper. I have never been in a hotel room in which I could hear every whisper and word from rooms either side of me in such clarity. Unfortunately the guests next to me decided to chat most of the night. Not their fault, they have the right, but unfortunately in the Westbury that means I get to hear it as clearly as if I were sat on the end of the bed with them. The food was ok, and the Japanese restaurant was excellent if you can get past the smell of old burnt cooking oil. Oh and my pet hate, ripping me off for wi-fi access.

Room Tip: Choose one in another hotel
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chatsby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Few hotels enjoy a better location than The Westbury, Mayfair. Literally on Bond Street,
We stayed here from 14 August 2014 for 4 nights. We booked on the hotel's website , The 'Summer special ' at £ 199 / night including b/fast.
Upon check out, we were charged £234 per night and were told that this was the BEST rate that they could do. The FOH team was unhelpful and lacked manner s and tact.
Sadly, I won't be returning here as I see an underhanded sneakiness in this establishment.
On the upside, great location, great breakfast, but perhaps book with TripAdvisor and the like.

• Stayed August 2014
Herzliya, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

One of the best in London with excellent location - especially if you like shopping in Mayfair! Also, within walking distance of West End theatres and Piccadilly. Service is excellent and the staff tries to assist in every request. Rooms are small - I had a "King" room which barely passes minimum requirements. Room faced inner court - gloomy but very very quiet. Breakfast served in very pleasant atmosphere yet a buffet should be available. Last but not least, today charging $20 a day for internet is utterly ridiculous.

2 Thank djmaven
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I recently stayed and we were not impressed with the hotel. We're very easy going people but the size of the room was just way too small for one person let alone 2. I see from the managers comments on other posts that they offer different sizes of rooms. I went to visit these other rooms with a gentleman from reception and found them marginally better and the bathroom was exact same size (talking about the "deluxe" rooms her to be specific). They came at a price of over 100 pounds more a night and we just didn't see the value so opted not to upgrade. Pillows were woeful, mattress was very hard and were similar in the other "better" rooms and made for tough sleeps.

Staff were friendly and very professional, breakfast was way too overpriced for what you get, polo bar is nice definitely go for a drink / coffee / quick bite, and location is fantastic.

I'm a frequent visitor to London for business and pleasure and won't be planning on staying here again even though the room rate was an absolute steal of a deal.

1 Thank Bacaro2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a romantic trip away. Hotel is stunning, there is no arguments about that. Beautiful reception area and for what we fund on Laterooms.com, one of the more reasonable 5* hotels in the area. Breakfast NOT included and at £25 per head! Rather steep. On our first night returning to the hotel, in the early hours, 1am ish. We were greeted with an ENORMOUS amount of noisy music from the adjoining room next door. Obviously we were qute keen to get some sleep, but the noise would of totally prevented that...and I am a heavy sleeper!! I called reception and spoke with the duty manager who said he would send security up to check. Fifteen minutes later the noise hadn't abated so I had to call reception again (as they hadn't bothered to call us back to update us) to check what was going on, only to be told they had sent security up who hadn't been able to detect any noise. I stated that the noise was STILL going on, so he said he would send security up again. Another 15 minutes later I had to call reception again to find out what was going on and the "duty manager" stated the same thing, that security hadn't been able to hear anything. I asked why they hadn't bothered to update us and he muttered something inaudible. I asked the "duty manager" to come up to our room to hear the noise for himself, which he obliged to and it was only when he heard the noise did he agree to switch our room for the night to what appeared to be a Junior Suite. We were allowed to leave our other items in the original room. The next night (after a day of sightseeing) we went back to our normal room. But not at ANY point had management thought to contact us to see if we had slept ok, or to even apologise. We were not offered anything as way of a goodwill gesture..and this is supposed to be 5 star treatment!? Only at check out on the bank holiday were we informed that we could of had the Junior Suite for the second night as well. It would of been nice if they had told us this! Terrible customer service, hugely disappointing stay, woke up exhausted for a day of sightseeing on the Sunday, just awful.

1 Thank Catherine S
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Top notch service here. From the moment I arrived in a cab and had my bags ushered up to my room, to the moment I checked out, this hotel shined. They let me check out late – 2 PM – no problem. The room was small – but its what you would expect for an average European hotel room. The room’s bathroom was gorgeous – marble and beautiful lightning punctuated the walls and floor. My room had a view of the street, which made it desirable – I had a balcony door, and although I heard people in the next room to me using their patio, I could not figure out how to open my doors. I put in a service call about this but it was never returned. I was staying here for only one night on an emergency basis, so it wasn’t took big of a deal. Also, cleaning staff were amazing – after I went out for the afternoon, they provided an excellent cleanup and turn-down service. When I got home for the evening, the bed was ready and some cozy slippers were there waiting for me.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Great location must be the quietest Hotel location in London, first time in over a hundred stays where I've not required ear plugs. Had a room on the fifth floor away from the main road. Excellent bed and nice pillows too ensured a sleep as good as home.

Great location and service was impeccable, valet car parking available too - at a cost but then this is London.

Only downsides were the fact there are no irons, ironing boards, tea and coffee making faculties in the room. These will be brought to the room on request, but really, should we need to ask ?

Would we stay again ? Of course so, sleep is more important than coffee, sometimes.....

Stayed August 2014