“Afternoon tea at The Montcalm in London - delicious treat for visitors or locals”

The Montcalm London Marble Arch
Ranked #4 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I enjoyed a Champagne afternoon tea with a friend by virtue of a Virgin Experience Voucher. We arrived at The Montcalm in shorts and nice tshirts - there was no strict dress code and they greeted us very wamly, all of the staff were excellent and could not do enough.
We were sat down in a beautiful room and immediately presented with a glass of chilled Champagne which was delicious. Then came a three tiered stand with sandwiches on the bottom, home made scones in the middle and gorgeous little cakes on the top tier. The sandwiches were made of different types of bread with different lovely fillings, the scones were a mix of fruit and plain (which was great as I am not a dried fruit fan) and the cakes on the top were a mix of pistachio battenberg, millionaire's shortbread, pastry case with custard and fruit, sponge cake and a few others. The service was excellent, our tea and coffee were topped up as we required and tap water was readily available. We were not rushed at all and spent a good few hours chatting and enjoying our afternoon tea. All in all an amazing visit that I would recommend to visitors to London or locals.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda M
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Linda M,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write such a detailed and constructive review! I am thrilled that our F&B team was able to exceed your expectations during your Afternoon Tea visit; Our Chef insists on exclusively using locally sourced ingredients and preparing as much as possible in house, and it is great to see his efforts being recognised!
I hope that the next time we will have the pelasure of welcoming you back it will be for an overnight stay so you can witness the full 'Montcalm Experience'; should you require any assistance at all with the making of future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact any member of our team as we all remain entirely at your disposal.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Montcalm for 2 nights in July. Great location many pubs and restaurants close by. I wouldn't call this a 5 star hotel. It's a solid 4 star maybe - clean, small rooms for money spent, dark bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Carmel G,

Thank you for having shared your experience online following your recent stay with us. I am glad that your over all impression of the Montcalm remains a positive one, although I am slightly concerned that we were not able to provide you with the impression of being in a five star hotel.
I would like to assure you that we are most definitely in the 5 star category, as officially ranked by the AA, and would greatly welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in what areas exactly we fell short of your expectations. Accordingly, I have sent you a private message as well, and greatly look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

On arrival at our booked hotel to be told that we were tom be upgraded to their sister hotel due to major maintenance problems in rooms at the hotel. We were transported by private hire car to The Montcalm at no cost to us. On arrival to check out we were treated fantastically. Our room was beautiful, staff were lovely especially Girin on reception who was superb. All staff were lovely we met and could not do enough for us. Private hire cars were booked for us on request to transport us to the 2 theatre shows at no cost us. As this was a treat for my wife for a special birthday celebration this treat was much appreciated. Thank you to all that made this trip so special.

Room Tip: This is a quality hotel in London & you have to pay for this.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jenkodonny,

On behalf of Girin and the rest of the team here at the Montcalm, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write this lovely review. I am thrilled that the upgrade to our main hotel, the Montcalm London Marble Arch, was well received, and that our product and the service provided by our Team were able to contribute to an unforgettable experience.
I now hope that we have managed to entice you to book directly with us in the future; should you require any assistance at all with the making of any future reservations, please do not hesitate to call on myself or any member of our team directly.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and I would heartily recommend it. The location of the hotel is simply fantastic. The staff, especially Anca at the Front Desk and Ankur, the Manager bring exceptional customer service to a new level. They are very focused on meeting all your needs. Spa includes a swim spa and a hot tub. Lots of amenities in the room to help you feel pampered. I plan to always stay at this hotel whenever I return to London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Barbara,

How great it is to see that our Service Team, led by Ankur, was able to exceed your expectations and and contribute to such a great stay! Rest assured that your kind comments will be shared with all those involved, with a particular mention to Anca as well.
When you were in the Spa, did you have the chance to try out the heated loungers? They are the perfect way to unwind for a while and forget about the world and everyone around you!

I hope to be able to meet you in person as well on your next stay with us, and in the meantime, wish you well.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a birthday surprise for my husband. We have never stayed before. Even through the booking process the service was second to none. Daisy and her team were amazing and they made the whole experience feel luxurious and special. My husband was so impressed also. On arrival, we were shown to our room which was simply stunning, the bathroom was amazing too! There was a birthday cake surprise for my husband which was not only delicious but another special, thoughtful touch. we often come to London for a night as a treat away from the kids (birthdays/ anniversaries) and will certainly be staying at the Montcalm next time we do. 100% perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Simonsarah2000,

On behald of Daisy and the rest of the team here at the Montcalm, thank you very much for having taken some of your precious time to write this lovely review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay on this special occasion and rest assured that the next time you need a break from the kids, we will be here and ready to provide you with another unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Neatly run luxury hotel in a convenient location. Seamless and enjoyable break for three nights. Have never needed to sort parking and have not eaten there in the evening but well staffed and efficient.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear speedyderf,

I am thrilled that our Team was able to provide you with such a great experience and would like to thank you for having taken some of your I hope that the next time you will stay with us you will also have the opportunity to make use of at least one of our two Dining Outlets, the Sixtyone Restaurant, and the Crescent.

I hope to see you soon again, and in the meantime, wish you well.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I took a chance to try a new London hotel and I am very happy to have chosen Montcalm. The rooms are amazing, very modern clean lines and well maintained. I arrived after midnight and the check in process was friendly, fast and efficient. I will definitely be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear nndebele13,

I am delighted that our rooms, staff and service all contributed to an enjoyable stay and that you feel comfortable recommending us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.