“Nice but could be better for this price”

The Montcalm London Marble Arch
Ranked #8 of 1,064 Hotels in London
“Nice but could be better for this price”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The room called deluxe double was smaller than expected, air conditioning was not enough for hot July days and you could not open window. Just one wall plug for 2 tablets, 3 phones, 1 laptop and a photo camera is obviously not enough. Very dark bathroom, definitely not enough light for shaving or make-up. All the rest is excellent, the location is great and all the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Boris B,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experiences online following your recent stay with us at the Montcalm London Marble Arch. Rest assured that your kind comments about our staff and service will be shared and celebrated amongst the team.
I am very sorry however, that the physical layout and design of your room did not meet your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the lack of sockets and lighting in the bathroom; I would like to assure you that I will be looking at both of these to see if any improvement to the status quo can be made. Unfortunately, for safety reasons, we are not allowed to have windows that open. However, although our airconditioning should be strong enough to cope even with last week's heatwave, it did seem as though there was a slight glitch in some of our rooms last week, including yours, for which I would like to hereby apologise. We have now checked these rooms and can now safely ascertain that the fault in these units has been rectified and we are ready for the next heatwave!

I do hope that despite your concerns over the physical state of the room you are willing to give us another try; should you require any assistance at all with the making of future reservations, please do consider me as your personal point of contact, and I will do everything within my means to assist you in any way possible.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It's a good experience to stay in the Montcalm hotel, good location for shopping, very good service, also a very good restaurant I recommend. The room is very clean and twice house keeping a day. The reception is very nice.i will defiantly stay with this hotel again at the next visiting in London.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Antengmao
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Antengmao,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share this great review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that the service provided by our Team and the physical product you experienced has left you with a positive impression of the Montcalm so that you now feel comfortable recommending us. I look forward to welcoming you back in person on your next stay with us and remain entirely at your disposal should you require any assistance at all with the making of future bookings.

Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Fantastic rooms....helpful and courteous staff....clean...classy and well worth a short or long stay...will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay close to Marble Arch or Oxford Street. One of the comfiest hotel beds I've ever slept in

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy B
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Andy B,

Thank you so much for having shared this lovely review! Rest assured that your kind comments will be shared and celebrated with the entire team. I hope that we will remain your first choice destination whenever you next decide to visit the West End; should you require any assistance at all with the making of future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

London
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night to celebrate my birthday. All the staff are so friendly and helpful, but without seeming pushy or contrived.

We were given a complimentary upgrade to a Park Lane Suite which was out of this world and a really unexpected surprise. On arrival in the room we were greeted with rose petals on the bed, a birthday cake, card and bottle of champagne - truly amazing touches that will make this stay truly memorable.

The hotel itself is immaculately clean with all the luxury amenities you could ask. We also used the spa which was very relaxing.

We will be staying at this hotel again as all the other hotels we've stayed in in London pale in comparison!

We cannot fault this hotel, great location, friendly staff and exceptional service from everyone.

Special thanks go to Laura for arranging our upgrade and to all the reception staff and concierge who exceeded our expectations in service.

Dear Lutorad H,

Please allow me to hereby wish you once more a Happy Birthday! I am delighted that the service provided by our team was able to exceed your expectations, especially since it was such a short stay! Thank you very much for having written this fabulous review; rest assured that it will be shared with all those involved, with a particular mention to Laura!

I very much look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next stay with us and remain entirely at your disposal should you require any assistance at all with the making of any future reservations.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Montcalm is a very well run hotel one of the very best we have been to, we booked up on the internet, after looking at reviews, before we even arrived we were emailed and asked what pillows we would like plus the fragrance in the room.
Our room 512 was lovely comfortable quiet with air conditioning which we needed, after checking in the staff were most helpful friendly if we wanted anything all we would have to do is ask, we did one extra pillow it arrived in no time, along with a free bottle of wine and very nice it was too. We also had an evening meal in the restaurant Sixtyone one of the most tasty meals we have had, also we had breakfast in the morning, a good English breakfast.
I cannot recommend the Montcalm enough, we will return on our next trip to London.

Room Tip: We had room 512 which was fine for us & very quiet.
Dear rogthehat,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write this amazing review! It is delightful to see when the entire hotel cooperates together in such a way to create unforgettable experiences for our guests such as yourself, from beginning to end. I am glad you liked the options of the pillows and the aroma's; which ones did you go for? My personal favourites are the shape your sleep pillow and the pink grapefruit aroma; rejuvenation is guaranteed! I hope that the next time your travels take you up north to London, the Montcalm will remain your first choice destination, and should you ever require any assistance with the making of future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Myself & my fiancé stayed here on 22/07/14 for his birthday & our engagement. We originally booked the marble arch hotel by Montcalm (across the road). Upon our arrival at check in the very friendly reception staff said we had been upgraded to the Montcalm Hotel free of charge.. When we were collected (& our bags taken from us) we were greeted at reception again by another very friendly member of staff who had then advised us we had been upgraded to the 'wow suite' (room 401-402) it was exactly what it said, Wow!

The room was immaculate with so many extras, 4 poster bed with fairy lights in the ceiling, they had put rose petals on the bed. The room was massive with seperate lounge & 42in samsung tvs in both rooms! We could even watch the tv in the bath!! We knew the hotel offered wifi but there was an ipad waiting for us too!! It was just fantastic! We went to the sauna/spa etc & again immaculate & the staff are so friendly, they cannot do enough for you! When we returned to the room we had another surprise, a birthday cake, strawberries & chocolates & they had given my future husband a birthday card!! Such a personal and intimate experience, the staff had made this the best stay ever & I can honestly say I've never experienced pure luxury like this before & I've stayed in some nice hotels. I will never ever stay in another hotel in London again! I'm hooked! We are already planning our return for our wedding weekend & my birthday!!

Thank you Montcalm! See you again very soon! :o)

Dear Sara C,

I am ever so thrilled to see that the upgrade to the Montcalm and utlimately to the WOW suite were well received and contributed to an unforgettable stay; I am even more delighted though to read that the service provided by our Team was able to convert you into part of the 'Family'!

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon, whether for the wedding weekend, your birthday, or anything in between!

Easington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here with my brother and 2 business colleagues for one night only. Service was excellent, rooms very well equipped with very modern facilities and great "rainforest showers". Spotlessly clean from top to bottom. The staff could not have been more helpful and we all left the hotel saying we would definitely return. 1 small criticism, we had a gin and tonic each in the bar and the bill was £42 so a bit pricey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear fitandoverfifty,

Thank you very much for having shared this review following your recent stay with us at the Montcalm. Rest assured your kind comments about our staff and service have been shared and celebrated amongst the team. I am also glad that you enjoyed the physical product; we try our best to maintain our rooms to the highest quality and with state of the art facilities to consistently provide truly luxurious experiences.
I am a little bit confused however at the £42 charge for the two gin tonics, as our gin & tonic prices hoover at around £9.50, depending on which gin is chosen. I sincerely hope that you were not accidentally over charged during your bar visit and remain entirely at your disposal should you wish to investigate this further.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back sooner rather than later, and in the meantime, wish you well.