“Room size can be small”
Review of Phoenix Hotel

Phoenix Hotel
Ranked #290 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Staff provided excellent service. Breakfast was basic but there were choices and it was okay. Rooms were hot (not good in summer) and some were very small. We got changed to a bigger room we requested.

Room Tip: Ask what size the room is at booking time as they differ greatly.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
Linda S, Assistant Manager at Phoenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you very much for your comments. We hope to welcome you back to Phoenix hotel next time you visit London!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Harry Potter and the Phoenix Hotel.
I was surprised to be put in Harry's room under the stairs - a tiny airless room. Still I thought, there will be a nice shower, but the optical illusion trick of the step meant a sharp step down jarring my leg. Well, I can rest it on the bed. No, wait, the uncomfortable hard bed? Clearly not. Watch some TV, take my mind off it?- The TV on the wall nailed at an angle that means I cannot see from the bed very well -that TV? So that's a no then. I'll phone home- have a chat. Sorry, no air waves here - you have to suffer in silence. Sleep then. Yes, for two hours, then hear all the merry folk next door arriving, shouting, shutting anything they can find. What fun.
Dawn in London - perhaps I will hear the nightingale sing in Kensington Gardens Square- after all I walked for 3/4 of an hour to find it after the Florist near Bayswater Tube station-clearly in disguise as a death eater- sent me completely the wrong way. The walls start to move in even further and claustrophobia starts to grip. I pack, and go down for breakfast - oh it's another stuffy room, where the windows appear to have actually been glued shut in case of invasion, and I am treated to cheek by jowl stories of London by cheerful American visitors 6 inches away from my arm, while unsmiling waitresses talk loudly in a foreign language across the room pretending I do not exist. The cheese and ham glares at me. (Who is it that eats cheese and ham for Breakfast?) The Toast is made of a substance I do not recognise. It has not been magic. I leave and and go and sit in a cafe where I can have a hot drink (not from a lukewarm thermos flask) and smell the air- rather than my fellow diner.
Reflecting on my story I would say The Phoenix Hotel, which does not serve Dinner or cook breakfast, is in disguise as a Bed and Breakfast in a cupboard, with no frills, ambiance or atmosphere but London costs, so if this is what you are after, then you are in for a treat, but if not, you have been warned in this tale of Harry Potter's bedroom at the Phoenix Hotel, Bayswater.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Hilary B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Phoenix hotel; your comments are very useful. We are sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion. We always offer our guests an alternative room, if one is available, should the room allocated not be entirely to their satisfaction.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel has obviously just gone through some major renovations because they were still painting the stairwells during our stay. There was new carpet, new wallpaper, new paint. The furniture was basic but everything was clean. The bathroom was very small but modern, and had a shower only. There is no air conditioning. My cousin and I visited in June so the temps were warm. Even with both windows opened, it was hot. Even the English family in the next room commented that it was the hottest hotel they'd ever stayed in. There was only one set of electrical outlets, which is not enough. There was Wifi. I was surprised to see that there was no deadbolt and the lock that was on the door was just a turn key type rather than a card key entry. I would have thought that one of the upgrades would have been a better security system. When we checked in, the coffee cups had coffee stains on the outside and the previous guest's shampoo and body wash were still in the shower. We stayed 4 nights and this was the only night we found this situation. Having stayed in London many times before I found the Phoenix to be better than some (at the same price) but not as nice as others (at the same price). Breakfast was continental but never varied from day to day. Seating was cramped and inadequate. If I stayed again, the next time I would carry my tray down and take my food and coffee back to my room. My cousin left her laptop with the desk in the mornings and it was a bit disturbing to know that they did not require proof that the laptop belonged to her when she collected it at night. In fact, they laughed because she finally put a note to that affect on it. Other than that, they staff was helpful. It was convenient for two tube stops and Paddington rail station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Phoenix hotel; your comments are very useful for us as we improve the hotel and services provided. We hope to welcome you back to stay next time you visit London.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Location was great. Very short walk to tube station and lots of restaurants and stores.
Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was good, lots of variety. Some city noise especially with our ground floor room. Only real negative was the upstairs neighbors our last night were so noisy that I had to go to the desk at 11pm to complain. Would stay here again, but not a ground floor room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DocRose42
Linda S, Assistant Manager at Phoenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Phoenix hotel; your comments are much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back next time you visit London!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four nights and was pleased with the experience. It is very clean and it's obvious the owners are making every effort to refreshen this property. My single room, though small (as is the case in Europe), was comfortable. I had stayed in a different London hotel earlier in my three-week trip to London and Paris, and this property felt more comfortable. For some reason my travel adapter would not work in the wall outlet, but the front desk had a box filled with used adapters, one of which I was able to use.

My room was located street-side, so I heard some street noises, but nothing to prevent me from sleeping. I was a little surprised that the room key was an actual metal key and not a modern key card. The hotel asked guests to leave their keys with the front desk.

I booked this hotel through one of the travel sites and got a decent rate--for London. There are several Tube stops nearby which makes it convenient to access sights in central Lonon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eric R
Linda S, Assistant Manager at Phoenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of Phoenix hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back next time you visit London!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Spent a full week at the Best Westen Phoenix Hotel in London. The hotel is in a convenient location, just one block from the Bayswater tube stop and two blocks from the Queensway tube stop. It's also nearby several grocery stores, restaurants, a pub, and a pharmacy. Kensington Gardens & Hyde Park are also only two blocks away.

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was pretty extensive for being "continental" with a selection of deli meats, cheese, croissants, hard-boiled eggs, cereals, juices, bread, etc. Rooms are a bit small (as is normal in Europe) but roomy enough and very clean. Bathroom was fine - clean with a full shower & tub and plenty of water pressure & hot water. Beds were comfortable.

Overall I would recommend the hotel, especially for the price, location, and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KentyMac
Linda S, Assistant Manager at Phoenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you very much for recommending Phoenix hotel; your kind comments are most appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back next time you visit London.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Phoenix hotel, is part of the Best Western group, and as such can be a bit homogenised in it's operation. The good side of this is it's reliability and high standards, the other side of that coin is it's lack of personality and soul. Nomatter, I have stayed there many times and always have a good laugh with Jehus the Bar manager who is the one member of staff who never seems to change. I cannot complain with the check-in staff either, they generally are of high standard. What I want to promote is the unsurpassed location of this hotel in Queensway, where you'll find the second highest density of restaurants and useful shops. Baywater is my favourite location as I can run in Hyde park before breakfast, and then choose between two tube stations very close by, get anywhere. On a clear morning one can walk through Hyde Park, watch the Household Cavalry practice down Rotten Row, reach Knightsbridge easily or leisurely continue to Buckingham Palace Gardens and thence Green Park and eventually Birdcage Walk all the way to Horseguards Parade and Westminster, virtually avoiding traffic in a city as large as London. It is a true delight to amble through such greenery, stopping to feed peanuts to the very tame squirrels and birds, especially when the weather is kind. I highly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are less of a kerfuffle to use, whilst, upper floor rooms have less (only occasio...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Timothy R
Linda S, Assistant Manager at Phoenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for recommending Phoenix hotel! We hope to welcome you back again very soon.