“Basic”

Holland Court Hotel
Ranked #963 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Rooms small and compact in basement. Bathroom tiny banged head on shelf above sink. Beds like camp beds.Noisy at times. Breakfast very basic with limited choice and limited seating. Won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Noisy and very basic room.

Poor quality breakfast.

Worse than a bad travelodge

Does not merit the star rating that it has.

There are other choices in this area - do yourself a favour and consider them

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We booked this hotel because it was relatively cheap. It is not the cleanest of places. In my friends room the ceiling fan had a ton of dust on it. The rooms are really basic. The staff is not friendly except for the person that was managing the breakfast. I was there with my three year old daughter. We saw some toys in the hallway and she wanted to play with them in the room which we did. I immediately got a call from the reception that I had to put them back. As if we were going to steal them...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Not the Hilton, but not the Hilton costs. The decor is tired and. A bit of a revamp would not go amiss, but that said our room was clean when we went in, the bedding sparse, but was adequate. The towels were changed but the tea cups not cleaned nor the milk/ tea bags replenished. We were here for 2 nights and spent very little time in room as staying for conference and evening event. Our needs were met. Staff were polite, not overly friendly.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy road, so back room top floor must be quitter, we had top floor back room allo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is definitely NOT a three star hotel by any stretch of the imagination!

My colleague and I booked two double rooms for a work trip, thankfully only for one evening. We were both given rooms on the lower ground floor, next to the restaurant. In the hallway leading to both rooms there was broken glass on the floor and a broken door leaning against the wall. My room had three small children's beds (i.e. not a double room) and directly outside my single glazed window were steps leading straight down from the busy street directly into my room. It felt unsafe.

On top of this, my colleague's room was dirty - fake eyelashes and hairs on the bedspread, crumbs on the furniture. Everything smelt musty and felt a bit sticky. After a quick discussion in the hall we decided to ask for different rooms. The receptionist was incredibly aggressive, accused us of spending half an hour in the rooms already (10 minutes at most) and was, to be frank, downright rude and quite scary.

She insisted on inspecting both rooms and marched us back downstairs with a small child tucked under her arm. She refused to acknowledge the mess in my colleague's room and insisted she couldn't change her room because she had moved the bedspread (to check for more hairs). Then, even more bizarrely, she refused to change my room because she decided there was evidence that I had 'done a kaka' in the toilet. (Accusing me of this involved her squatting down in the bathroom, still with the child tucked under her arm, and trying to look inside the toilet bowl from a very odd low down angle, then standing and pointing and shouting at me. It all felt a bit rehearsed and I felt very sorry for the poor child.)

Unfortunately the rooms had been pre-paid by work and we couldn't afford to move. We both went to bed in our clothes because of the dirty feel of the place. Neither us had any sleep - as well as the noise from the street and the restaurant, there were street lights, itchy bedclothes, bizarre noises all night (moving furniture at 3am?) and general fearfulness due to the awful aggressive woman.

Needless to say we didn't bother with breakfast and left as soon as we could.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank AliDG1
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is definitely NOT a three star hotel by any stretch of the imagination!

Needless to say we didn't bother with breakfast and left as soon as we could.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Shelley839
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

It was my first time in london and we just needed a place for 3 nights. First night was horrible. I think the hotel allocated to us the worst basement room and it was the last room available. ( we arrived about 2300). Room was highly highly worn down. Musky odour.leaking from toilet. Weird noises. Damp bedsheets.

We requested for another room the next day and it was a good modern room with working shower facility. We were pretty pleased with it but puzzled why the basement rooms were ten times of worse state!

Location is pretty good as the town is pretty clean and safe. It is quiet compared to central london- perfect for me! My boyfriend who had to work in his london branch for few days had no problem in commuting to central london where the banking district is. ( could not remember the tube stop!)

As for me, i entertained myself by walking to nearest shopping mall and ate asian eat all you can buffet to satisfy my cravings.

Overall, it is an ok accomodation for me- only if you get the higher level room. Otherwise, dont bother if you are are allocated with the basement room.

• Stayed: February 2013