“Not Good !”

Holland Court Hotel
Ranked #964 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Negatives: For us Hotel in terrible condition, in need of urgent decoration / modernisation / team of cleaners + generally a complete overhaul. Rooms very very small & hallways equally narrow & small. All furniture in room all flat pack DIY. We were woken up at 4am by 3 returning young, noisy + drunk Eastern European females who all seemed intent on having a very loud meeting in the hallway right outside our room, with complete disregard for anyone else staying at the Hotel. I eventually tackled them in my underpants & they piped down + went in their room but all then decided to take showers at 4.30am + woke my parents in the adjacent room. Breakfast room in basement you could just about swing a dead cat around in. Breakfast Selection - Toast / proceesed cheese slices / bowl of boiled eggs / (fresh) orange / coffee / tea / 2 cereals - Thats your lot so dont expect anything else. Positives: Staff were polite + friendly. Bed was reasonably comfortable + sheets clean. Shower hot + clean. Good location - just off Kensington High Street. Not the Ritz but you get what you pay for - a last minute booking - would definitely not go back - with some investment could be a fabulous small Hotel. Sorry but im only being honest.

Room Tip: I dont think ethere were any !!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Utter dump of a place. Everything is in a state of disrepair and filthy too, with doors, skirting and picture rail that looked liked it had been pulled out of a skip. Beds were uncomfortable and other than the main light switch, nothing else worked. Couldn't get a picture on the TV and for some unknown reason there was a toilet roll jammed behind it. At least the guy on reception was helpful... Oh hang on, no he wasn't. To summarise, rough as a badgers ar5e.
Apparently breakfast was included but I didn't even want to sit down in this hovel, let alone put something in my mouth that came from there. Luckily it was just one night because of work, so I checked in late and got the hell out of there early.
If I had ended up in this tip with my family I would have killed them all instantly and then taken my own life rather than have their looks of disappointment that they would obviously give me for the rest of my existence.
Avoid this place like the plague.
Conveniently located for Olympia ☺

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank David O
Reviewed 9 May 2014

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank Adam W
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This is the worse hotel I have ever stayed in. Reception ignores you? Breakfast is a bowl of boiled eggs stale bread and cheese. The only quailty is the tiler who did the bathroom. Absolute nightmare of a place

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank alexp997
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've stayed here for work & for the second time there's been a major cock up with the rooms, the first stay I got a key card from reception, went to my room only to find someone asleep in it! Went back to reception, got it changed for another room, again someone asleep in that one!!, went back again to reception, no apology given got given another key this time there was no one in it, the room however was small dirty, & cold due to the window being wedged open, there was old drink cans on the shelf & the sachet of coffee I tried to use was solid!
This time I got to the hotel to be told that there wasn't a room despite it having been pre paid, I was told it must be for somewhere else! My colegue who booked the rooms was persistant & eventually I was given a room, again, no appology, again the room is dirty & cramped & the window is wide open despite it being cold outside. The staff here are rude & couldnt care less if you had to sleep on the street, the system of checking bookings is flawed in the extreme ( my other colegue has found his room had someone asleep in it tonight!) The general state of the building is shabby, why are these people running a hotel? Appalling!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm rating this as a family hotel in London, not comparing it to the Ritz as such a review would be pointless. We've stayed in several hotels over the years, but with each addition to our family found it increasingly difficult to find a quiet, safe, relatively clean, cost effective, child friendly hotel, and I think that Holland Court Hotel manages this (though the rate is higher than I would have liked, it's LONDON and you have to expect to pay more for less!). We did choose it over chain hotels south of the river as often they have a much more seedy feel and are less friendly than small establishments.

I'm not sure where else the other, more negative reviews have stayed in London, but London is known for tiny, dirty rooms, shared bathrooms, no showers, odd smells, NOISE!, dampness and mould. So, when you get something safe and pretty clean, where the staff is friendly (they held our bags on checkout day so we wouldn't have to find a locker somewhere else!)' then I say you have found pretty good place.

Our room had a double in the side room and three singles in the larger room. The single beds were all really comfortable, but the double had a visual dip in the centre. That said, I slept like a log all night and felt refreshed in the morning. We had a television in both rooms so we could watch television after the kids went to sleep. The bathroom was really nice, but small, and looked very new. Most economical places I have stayed in London have had nasty worn carpets and mould in the shower/sink - not here! There were a few scuff marks in the walls, old Christmas decorations still up on doors and at reception (just imagine that every day here is like
Christmas!), paint blobs, missing bulbs (but halogen was being replaced with LED!), the toilet seat was at an angle, and the door key didn't work the second day... But it looked like a place in transition for the better.

Breakfast was nothing to brag about. It was in the basement, but I think it's only fair to consider that they have to work with the space they have and only judge them on things that they could actually improve given that! Two choices of cereal, toast, cheese, ham, boiled eggs, apple and orange juice, tea, coffee. No fruit which would have been nice (but let's be fair, I would have bagged it for eating later in the day). Not sure what others expect from continental breakfasts, but I thought it was a rather standard presentation. Also, the other guest were all very friendly and we spoke to everyone in the breakfasting area, which was really pleasant.

We didn't use the Internet, and it would be great if they offered it free of charge to those who wanted it. It DOES make the stay more easy for travellers to plan their trips etc and would not be a huge cost to the hotel. Many nice establishments do offer it FOC nowadays.

The location had a safe feel to it and was easily accessed by bus - which you can ride in if you have a travel card.

Overall, a place to stop, sleep, and GO. Not a spa or luxury hotel where you want to spend loads of time, but a good option if you have kids along and need to stay overnight in the centre. I hope they continue to improve with feedback and they have all the rooms looking great soon.

Room Tip: The five person bedroom had a very nice bathroom and a nice view as well.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pho2journo2003
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It was obvious we had one of the rooms that had not been refurbished! The window was held open with a towel stuffed under it to stop it sliding down. I wanted to close it as the noise from the road was just too much but the window was so heavy I could not lift it enough to get the towel out. The mattress was clearly very old and the bed squeaked every time you moved. We did not need a wake up call because we were woken up very early by every creak and footstep from the person in the room above. The toilet seat was falling off. Light bulbs were missing. The furniture looked like it was bought at a car boot. On a plus side...The shower was hot!!
Then came the trip to the pokey little room in the basement for breakfast.....So much for a continental breakfast, it was awful, the coffee was cold, there was a choice of 2 cereals, toast, cheese slices and cold hard boiled eggs, I couldn't wait to leave. I don't know where they got some of the photos but they clearly weren't of this 'hotel'.
All in all the worst place I have ever stayed in, the owners should be ashamed of themselves. Disgusting. I just wish I had taken some photos

Room Tip: Check out your room before you pay for it and don't get a room overlooking the road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family