“Are they having a laugh?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #252 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Are they having a laugh?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Got past the dismissive reception staff to my £250 a night exec room which is ok. Went to use the gym and was told it was £10 extra per day. What? Ok fine. All machines were old and the first 4 machines I went on were broken in one way of another. Went to by a can of coke on the way back to room (60p in the supermarket) £3 here. What? Turned on the wireless, £15 for day base package! What? Just feel ripped off. Oh and avoid the pub on the corner, it is a real dive. I'm from round this area and I was depressed and a little scared going in there. It is the public house version of a dementor.

• Stayed July 2011
k-west_hotel, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Thank you for your review… I am sorry that you found the prices in the hotel to be high but we do try to stay in line with the rest of our competitors. In regards to the additional charges, we do offer room only rates in the hotel in order to allow our guests to choose additional services they would like to book in order to keep our room prices competitive. We find that this prevents having to pay for services you would not necessarily choose to have. I do apologise however, if you found this to be inconvenient. I note that we left you feeling disappointed but I hope that you will give us another opportunity and return in the near future.

Hilary Cross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

My friend and I booked in for a two night spa break. The room was a good size, clean and welcoming. Plenty of tea and coffee, and as advertised the robes were available for our use.
The Spa is small but very nice, we loved the hydrotherapy pool and the ice room. We both had booked treatments and the therapists were professional and friendly.
We ate in the restaurant on one evening and the food was very good, the service was fine but the restaurant wasn't busy.
We spent Saturday in the Westfield shopping mall, the hotel is very well placed for this.
After a day of retail therapy we headed back to the spa to revive our aching feet..
The restaurant was very busy the next morning, the breakfast menu was excellent with plenty of choice, service seemed a little stretched but the staff were pleasant and accommodating. We both enjoyed our stay at this hotel immensley.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for a great review. I am happy to hear that you and your friend enjoyed your Spa break and had a wonderful stay. It’s feedback like this that really does make our day. We look forward to welcoming you soon for some more relaxing stays.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

The hotel was on a list of hotel from GO-Today.com with whom I booked the trip with. I didn't know what to expect. I did read he review from TripAdvisor and saw it got good review and thought I couldn't go wrong. We booked a standard room and had continental breakfast everyday. The check in process went very smoothly, given we got to the hotel very late around 11 p.m. The room was a fair size, everything was neat and clean. The best thing about the hotel is the location. It's near the Westfield shopping center, which I enjoyed and the tubes. It was easy to get to from the airport using the tube, and just get to other things.

We never got a chance to use the spa service but we were given a tour of the place and it really looked relaxing. Hopefully next time I come back to London I can use the Spa.

The hotel is a very trendy, boutique, style hotel so at night the bar would be have a trendy group there from time to time. The room service was great at 2 a.m. one morning, the best burger I've had in a while (maybe because I was sooo hungry) but either way it was great.

The desk was able to arrange a mini taxi for us to get to the airport the morning we left for the airport. Everything was so smooth there with no issues.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review… I am pleased to hear that you decided to stay with us and that your stay was an enjoyable one. I hope that you will return and experience our Spa facilities, they really are amazing! We look forward to you returning in the near future.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I have just stayed at the K West for one night with my boyfriend and we both loved it. The hotel is near to Westfields and central London so a great base for shopping. The breakfast was quite expensive for what it was however we enjoyed the food.

Room was very tastefully decorated and very spacious with a seperate seating area.

We will definately be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found K West to be conveniently located. We look forward to welcoming you soon!

Trstenik, Croatia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I used to stay at K-West quite a bit when it was a new hotel in London and - to its credit - one of the first boutique/trendy/cool modern hotels in the city. For this stay, we had to be close to Wembley for a concert and so I thought I'd go back to K-West.

There were 4 of us, so I booked two rooms. There weren't 2 Suites available so we booked 2 Executives, the next level down, instead. The first observation is the reference to credit cards and saying that if you don't turn up with their choice of credit card, you aren't welcome. Not exactly customer-friendly and it makes the place sound like some kind of knocking shop, where you have to turn up with ID and a credit card to book a room for an hour. The difference between debit and credit cards has narrowed considerably in recent years, so the way in which the hotel infers that those who debit cards are some kind of scum is obsolete and very patronising.

The Executive rooms were OK and well appointed but are now looking tired. Other hotels have claimed the market that K-West used to occupy and are now doing it better. An old on/off switch with a rotary temperature control (without calibration markings) is not as good as digital climate control.

The ethernet cable for the internet didn't' work so I tried wireless...only to discover that it was £15 for a 24 period. In an Executive room wireless should be complimentary. Again, other hotels have grasped this but K-West seems to think that it's OK to charge for it. Maybe for lesser class rooms but your more expensive rooms should include it for free...that's why they are more expensive.

And on the subject of cost, there was a pathetic tiny travel kettle in the room but no mugs, milk or decent selection of tea/coffee, so one had to order from room service. The mini bar was empty and so that meant multiple calls to room service for drinks, at the inflated bar prices plus a service charge.

It felt like everything was a cost extra, as if in some kind of rep hotel filled up with salesmen for whom an SE badge on their car is all they long for, where they are on expenses and daring to take something from the mini bar would incur the wrath of their accounts department. Again, fine for basic rooms but for the higher specification rooms, a stocked mini bar is an essential.

We didn't eat there as we were out at Wembley so I can't comment on the food.

The onsite car-parking came in at £40....that's a rip-off. 5 star hotels in the City charge around £27, so what justifies the premium here?

Overall, it's a hotel that appears to have carved out a niche for itself with Eastern Europeans and foreign tourists who have no idea what represents expensive and who are happy to pay for everything as a charged extra. In the good old days, K-West was funky, fun and value for money. Sadly it isn't anymore.

1 Thank Propaganda_Machine
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here with a friend last weekend. We arrived mid-morning and reception staff were polite and friendly. As expected, our room wasn't ready so we headed for the spa. The spa is very nice with sauna, steam and snow room. Unfortunately the jacuzzi wasn't working but we were given 50% of the cost of the spa back - I thought this was fair. The spa isn't huge but also wasn't busy so no problem. We were upgraded to an exectutive room which was spacious and clean, if a bit plain. So all good so far. Unfortunately breakfast was very disapponting. We arrived at 10.30 and waited over 30 minutes for so much as a drink! The restaurant didn't seem particularly busy. When the food eventually arrived it was pretty good. Shame the whole thing took and hour and a quarter! Overall I think it's ok value for money, good location, pleasant staff. But please sort out the breakfast!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
k-west_hotel, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
I would like to thank you for your review. I’m glad that you enjoyed the Spa facilities and that you found your room to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry that the hydrotherapy pool was not working on the day of your visit and I do hope that you will return to K West in the near future. Your comments in regards to the breakfast have been noted and forwarded on to the relevant managers, and I would like to thank you for all your constructive feedback.

aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel in 2 rooms.

We were in rooms 531/33 and it's quite a walk back and forth to rooms from lifts. The hotel is 5 mins from Shepherds Bush tube and also westfileds shopping, so not to bad for location.

Rooms were cleans and spacious, only real niggle was air con in one room wasn;t working too well, so night was a bit warm and with the vending machine on the floor ignoring room cards, made it a bit more unfomfortable

Room Tip: get rooms nearer lifts to reduce long walks