“Still a good choice”

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #277 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This was our 3rd stay in the K-West over the last 12 months, and definitely not our last stay. The location is very convenient: close to the Central Line with just a few stops to get to Central London, close to Westfield, and still within walking distance to Notting Hill.

And your stay at the K-West will definitely be better if you ask for a room that is not on the SPA level, and not at the far end of what a fellow tripadvisor called the longest hotel corridor in the world. You might want to think about spending a few quid extra to get an "Executive" room. I think it is worth every penny: good size of the room and good layout. And the bed and mattress are just superb.

Don't worry about skipping breakfast at the hotel. It is good, but there are also plenty of nice places around Shepherds Bush Green... or walk up to Notting Hill or High Street Ken

Room Tip: Avoid the SPA level.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed yet another stay with us here at K West its feedback like this that really makes our day! I am sorry if you felt the corridors were too long but I’m pleased to hear that you found your lovely executive room good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stayed here on business for 3 nights. Due to a mix-up on booking, my room was given away and I ended up with a room at the very opposite end of the longest corridor in the world overlooking some skips.

The room was reasonably furnished although holes in curtains and stains on the walls. I guess someone had had a rock and roll party before I got there!

The bathroom was lovely, well equipped and nicely furnished. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. The air con didn't seem to do much of a job of cooling, unfortunately, even on it's lowest temperature. Reception couldn't offer much of a solution to that.

My main gripe with the room was that there was nowhere for me to sit down to do hair and make-up. There was a mirror with some shelves in front of it in an awkward spot, so it was that or the bathroom, which is not ideal to plug electrical appliances into! I ended up struggling with a compact to dry my hair.

Would have liked to have use the spa facilities but only really wanted to use the pool and felt it was too expensive just for a quick swim.

One other problem was Google Maps not knowing where the hotel was! It sent me wandering round the roundabout at Shepherd's Bush Tube for a good half hour before I stumbled upon the hotel!

One final problem was reception charging me for the full stay to my credit card I'd given for any incidentals - there were none, but they charged my full stay anyway, despite my company having already paid for the stay. No apology was forthcoming and it left me with a very bad impression of the hotel. I'd probably go back, but only as it's convenient for where I need to be on business and it'd be on expenses.

Room Tip: Try not to get one overlooking the skips!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Claire B

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the mix-up with your booking and I am also so sorry to hear that your experience at the hotel fell short of our usual high standards. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your mind and show you our usual high standard of service here at K West, and all it has to offer.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed here with my sister for a weekend shopping break on the 6th jan having booked this hotel because of its location near to Westfield and also because we got a good deal on Bookings.com. The hotel appears to be a very modern boutique style hotel from the exterior and lobby, however is is a case of style over substance. We were given a room on the 7th floor and directed to the lifts, however the lift only went to the 6th floor and from there we had a seemingly endless walk which led to a stairway up to the 7th. I was recovering from a fractured ankle so this was not ideal to say the least. The best thing I can say about the room was that it was jaded, very shabby decor with a huge old fashioned heater/air conditioner. My sister rang reception to ask for a room closer to a lift but was told that it was the only room available in our "category" but that we could pay for an upgrade. I can only presume that our "category" was our bookings.com bargain which cost £213.60 for 2 nights. We didn't realise that meant you got the worst room in the hotel! The receptionist then agreed to move us to a room on the 4th floor.
This room was better although still a long walk to the lifts and definitely not to a standard that you would expect from a 4* spa hotel, (1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of shower gel, no robes).
We went out to the theatre and when we returned later we discovered that there was a terrible smell coming from the pipes in the bathroom. As it was quite late and we were tired we decided to put up with it until the morning.
The next day when we were heading out we informed reception and they assured us that they would deal with it and if it couldn't be fixed we would be moved to anothere room. However when we returned again that night the smell was worse than ever. We asked for a someone to come up to check it out, and shortly a manager appeared. He agreed to move us,yet again, to a similar room on the 3rd floor but not before asking if we would wait till the morning to move! Even though it was late and we were tired there was no way that we could have slept with that smell. I also told him about a large patch of mildew on the bedroom and bathroom walls and he didn't really seem surprised saying that the room would have to be closed off for quite a while. Although he apologised for the smell he wasn't very friendly and we felt more like an inconvenience than guests in a 4 star hotel.
When we were checking out the next morning a very nice receptionist called Mohammad seemed concerned that we didn't enjoy our stay but was unable to offer us anything to compensate because there was no manager around until lunchtime. Unfortunately when we returned to collect our luggage later we didn't have time to seek out a manager because we had to rush for our flight.
I am very concerned that this hotel seems to feel that if you book on a discount website then you don't deserve a good room and good service, which I have never encountered anywhere else in the world. My advice to anyone booking this hotel because of its convenience to Westfield, look elsewhere and buy a travel card.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Hegarty1
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Thank you for your review however I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations or give you the opportunity to speak to a manager. We have a manager on duty 24 hours a day so please accept my apologies that you were told there was no one available. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further, so please do contact me directly through the hotel website.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed here briefly to celebrate an anniversary, we didn't have time for the Spa treatments so dunno bout that but the hotel itself was cool. Stayed in an executive room with the romantic package - which included chocolate covered strawberries and fairly nice champagne on ice, as well as the room being decorated with petals (which looked better than I thought they would!)

Room was what you'd expect for the price, very comfortable and spacious, nicely decorated, nice TV, dvd player on request among other things (see through bathroom door though!)

I'm a Londoner myself so didn't book this hotel as one for a visit to the city itself, but I'd recommend that too with it's location - Bush is a decent area when it comes to getting around, easy access to central and all of west London; W12 all day

Oh yeah and the woman I spoke to on the phone, Erin, was cool - sorted everything quick, made amendments when necessary without problem etc

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James M

Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a nice anniversary. It’s great to hear that Erin assisted you well with amending your booking, its comments like these that really make our day! We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I think this place is very good for the price and location. It's about the same price as a London travel lodge but it's much more comfortable and has the benefits of a 'proper' hotel, such as a bar, restaurant and room service.

You pay for all the extras, such as bottled water, the fitness centres, wireless etc, but the basic price is so cheap for the location, you can live with that.

It's obviously been recently refurbished, so it's all looking fresh clean and modern and certainly nicer than any of the chains, and any of the other hotels of similar, or greater budget in the vicinity.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Blue021

Thank you for your feedback, its great to hear that you feel we are good value for money and that you found the hotel to be conveniently located. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay since our lovely refurbishment. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the K West soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I've stayed at London's K West countless times over the past 12 months and it's gone from being my number one choice to being a bit more of a hit and miss experience. The junior double rooms are incredibly small and cave-like and should be avoided if at all possible. Executive doubles / kings are much better - plenty of space, good bathrooms and comfortable beds. The hotel's location is good for Westfield and other Shepherds Bush attractions (are there any?) but you're a tube / cab ride away from the city centre. Overall, a safe bet but worth querying the room before committing to a stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SR73
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Thank you for your feedback, although I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy when you reserved one of our smaller rooms, but am glad that you enjoyed staying in our larger Executive rooms. Reservations offer a choice of rooms to suit all budgets, and we can sometimes offer upgraded rooms on arrival for a small supplement which will hopefully avoid your disappointment in the future. We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed at K West hotel & spa for new years eve 2011 and had a great experience. Our room was very much at our expectations. The hotel staff kept it clean and in order. The hotel is situated close nearby to the large shopping mall, Westfield. This was very much to our wives liking. Me and my friend went to a pub nearby instead. Much to our liking...
All in all we had a very pleasant stay. Clean room, good beds, good food in the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was good, the only thing we did not like were when we were at bit late for breakfast it took a while until they brought out more bread.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trond Inge O
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Thank you for your great feedback! I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would be delighted to welcome you back soon!