“A damp smelling hotel which is more 3 stars”
Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #264 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A damp smelling hotel which is more 3 stars”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I had the misfortune of staying here in late November whilst running & organising an event at the London Olympia.

The rooms smelt really damp and were quite noisy as we were by the rail line. Even though we asked for additional towels we never received them. The room over the two days was never serviced as well.

Breakfast for us was served in the bar area opposite the main reception and was rather non descript. There were a lot of us staying at this hotel so maybe we were offered the worse rooms and cheapest breakfast.

I've stayed in quite a few 4-5 star hotels and I'm not sure how this hotel is a 4 star establishment. No pool and the spa is very small.

I will not be staying here again and I feel the rest of my company feel the same.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel would be quieter. Otherwise stay elsewhere!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Hi Christopher H,

Thank you for posting a review, I am really sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay here. We had a flooded room in November which left us battling damp smells through part of the Hotel for a couple of weeks - we seem to have cracked it now. If you had continental breakfast included in your rate then this would have been on request of the person booking, we do also serve cooked breakfast in our restaurant. Apologies again for the issues you encountered, feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Kind regards,

gm@k-west.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed here with my partner for the second time, first time we found the hotel through secret escapes, after the great stay with friendly and helpful staff at such a great rate we decided to stay again and book through the hotel. Room is spacious, bed is huge and the bathroom was lovely and clean. Breakfast is great as you get to decide what hot course you want (smoked salmon option instead of a stodgey full english). We also turned up early, and managed to get checked in straight away - unlike other hotels in the city. We also used the spa facilities - I recommend the snow paradise, I've never been in one before and it was amazing! No doubt we'll be coming back again, with the handy location close to the tubes on the central line.

My only fault were the drunk guests between 2am and 5am banging around the corridors. But that can't be helped.

1 Thank Lucy F
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Lucy F,

Thank you so much for the 5 STAR REVIEW!! We are so glad we keep you coming back and that you find us great value, friendly, our hot breakfast options delicious, and our Snow Paradise amazing! Apologies for the drunken corridor banger... be thank full he didn’t find his drum pa rum pum pum... (Festive humour – we do take noise issues seriously and do our best to maintain Silent Nights)! We can’t wait for your next visit!

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked this as a surprise for my boyfriend for our anniversary through secret escapes as it was very last minute! After spending hours looking for a hotel that didn't resemble a motorway travelodge i was very happy that the price also included breakfast and it looked exactly like the photos!
On arrival we were told our room was still being cleaned and they offered to hold our luggage while we explored Westfied Shopping centre. Checking in later was smooth, i opted not to hand over my card for extras which they were fine with and staff brought our bags round in a flash. The staff were great even the cleaners/maids were super friendly when we got lost looking for our room.

I had mentioned while booking this was a special occasion and the hotel went all out surprising us with a room upgrade to a suite, rose petals on the bed, a towel swan, a personalised desert and even a handwritten card!! Ahhh so thats why our room was taking a while to be 'cleaned' :-) I was taken back by their complimentary extras and the effort they went to, I have never experienced that kind of hospitality and it made our stay unforgettable. The room and en suite was spotless and came with plenty of towels, the all important hair dryer, robes and a luxurious comfy bed I didn't want to get out of!

Breakfast in the morning was delicious, i couldn't fault it. croissants, cereal or fruit salad to start before a cooked main. We were spoil for choice, there were plenty of options on the menu that would accommodate all diets. On checkout the young girl with chin length brown hair was very friendly and attentive!

The location is great, just a 5 min walk to the Westfield shopping center (where i left my car over night) and tube station - its straight down the road, even I couldn't loose my way.

One night was not enough to enjoy London and make full use of the hotel facilities. We will definitely come again to try out the spa facilities!

I couldn't fault our stay, thank you very much!!

1 Thank Melon88
Dear Melon88,

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for the 5 STARS! This is the kind of feed back we love to hear! Wow!! Our friendly housekeeping team are loving the recognition!! We are so HAPPY we could share in your Anniversary and make such a special impact on your day. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Brooke our very own chin length brown haired receptionist! We can’t wait to welcome you back soon for an even longer stay!

surrey-england

Stayed here on their winter promotion rate for £149
Not a bad deal considering where it's located & full breakfast & 2 cocktails were included
Very handy for westfield shopping & tube &train stations
Room was spacious & clean
Staff were friendly enough especially the ladies cleaning the rooms
Does attract a younger crowd so take your earplugs just incase
Breakfast was a bit hit & miss, but the eggs benedict & eggs royale were very nice
Would stay again,but only on the same or similar offer

Room Tip: Its a long walk but best to request a room at the end of the corridor to avoid noisey drunks passing...
Dear terreus,

Wow!! Another review referring to our friendly housekeeping team! Thank you for the 4 STARS! I am glad you liked our Winter Nights package; this has been quite a popular one! We do attract a real mix of guests, generally people who like something a bit different from chain hotels. Thank you for your compliments to our chef on his eggs, and please keep a look out for special offers online!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My mum and I had booked this hotel as we got a very good rate for a two night bed and breakfast stay while in London. We also liked the idea of being so close to Westfield Shopping Centre. The hotel is a good location - literally a few minutes' walk from Westfield so perfect for shopping! It's also a very short stroll to the nearest tube station to get in and out of the city centre - about 15 minutes on the tube to Oxford Street.

When we first checked in we were told we were getting a suite which we were excited about and we got vouchers for cocktails - all was looking great!

When we got to the room it was spotless and very spacious (especially for London). The decor was lovely and the room had everything we needed and more!

Overall we had a great stay at this hotel. However, there were downpoints too. Personally, I thought it was a bit much that as a guest you still had to pay an extra fee to use the spa facilities including the pool. I don't think I have come across this before. Also, at night time the bar was completely manic. It was so loud and there was a DJ playing both nights. At the end of the day we had been looking forward to a nightcap and a chat but this is not a hotel to stay in for that at all. The other disappointment for us was the breakfast. There was a fantastic selection and all of the continental things were lovely. Unfortunately the cooked breakfast was not lovely at all and we ended up leaving most of it.

I would recommend this hotel. We got fantastic value for money and we loved our room and the location. I think there are just a few things that they need to work on to make it better!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Victoria_jamison,

I am so glad you found us great value, loved the room and location! We are in the PERFECT area for Christmas shopping and we love being so close to Westfield too! There is a charge for guests who want to use our holistic spa, but entry is complimentary when you book an hour spa treatment – well worth treating yourself to some pampering. We do have a DJ in the bar on Friday and Saturday nights, as you say we are a funky hotel and like to bring the vibe at weekends – we do have our library area so you can have a quiet drink in there. Thank you for your recommendations, please come back soon and take the full K West experience soon!!

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel Saturday 14th December as a treat. We were really excited for our stay based on the images, reviews and description given on the site. However, upon arrival the lady at reception requested we hand over our card for "extras." This was not a problem as she said "no money is taken." What she didn't say, was that it was a £50.00 payment/block (We were not prior informed.) When questioned about it, the receptionist said it was "law", though in fact this is simply a hotel policy...Then, when questioned further on repayment of the amount taken, we were told it would take "maybe 1 day" contradicting the sign next to her saying 15 days. She was v. Abrupt and rude! The room was nice and clean, although understated compared to the pictures, with no slippers, wifi or even a double bed, of which all were paid for!! Cooked breakfast was great, although we were constantly in fear of extra charges and could not relax. I wouldn't reccomend to a friend, as I do not wish to put them through the experience that we went through.

• Stayed December 2013
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Joeunderwood,

That doesn’t sound good at all. I am disappointed to hear that our pre-authorisation policy was not explained to you fully. Customer Service is top priority here at K West and we are working to improve the script on this matter. Basically we take a preauthorisation (as is standard Hotel policy) which we release on departure – the time it takes to return to your account varies between Banks so it is hard to give an exact timing. I am sorry that you found the Receptionist to be abrupt and rude; I do welcome you to get in touch so we can make your next stay here a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My boyfriend booked this - one night for £152 inc breakfast - was one of the cheaper hotels we looked at In london. The staff were great even the cleaners/maids were super friendly. The room was spotless as was the bathroom which I was very pleased about. One of the most comfy beds I have ever slept in! Would be good if there was a full length mirror - bit of a pain when trying to get ready to go out - but this is the bad thing i can think of! Parking was £25 for over night ( we drove up early and late the next day so definitely worth it. A moor hiccup with breakfast in the morning - getting our order wrong but was sorted swiftly and staff were apologetic. Would definitely come again to try out the spa facilities.

Dear cyg001,

Awesome name by the way! A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your 5 STAR REVIEW! I am glad you encountered our super friendly housekeeping team! We all get training from the Super Friendly, Super Fun Training division! Thank you for the feedback regarding the mirrors, definitely something for us to look into and reflect upon. We can’t wait to have you back; our K Spa is a must – treat yourself to some pampering!