“A very mixed experience!”
Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #257 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Basildon, United Kingdom
“A very mixed experience!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. Having enjoyed a 5 star experience previously, I decided to return with another friend. I have to say, it didn't quite live up to the expectations of myself or those of my friend this time!

I'll break the review up to show my reasons clearly:

*The treatments: 5/5

The treatments at this place truly are second to none - great service and fantastically relaxing. The staff are brilliant and know exactly how to provide a top quality treatment. My friend and I both enjoyed an hour long holistic massage and came away feeling rejuvenated and relaxed.

* The room: 4/5

We stayed in a twin room on the 5th floor. It was very clean and had good facilities; TV, fridge, hairdryer etc etc. However, it was nowhere near as big as the twin room I stayed in previously and the beds were quite small and close together. They were very comfortable however - if I'd not stayed before in a bigger room for the same price, I'd have rated 5/5!

* The spa: 4/5

The spa is lovely with a superb sauna, steam room and saunarium. There's also a foot bath, relaxation area, hydrotherapy pool and snow room. The reason for the 4/5 rating this time is due to it being quite crowded during some parts of our stay and also there was a power-cut which meant the floor flooded due to the hydrotherapy pumps not working temporarily. A lot of grey hairballs emerged over the flooded spa floor and although the staff were there trying to clean up, no one explained what was happening or how long for etc, it was as though there were no customers in the spa and the staff were oblivious to us. The flooding went on for about an hour - (we were told by staff in the spa treatment area what had happened and had an apology then.)

* The dinner: 2/5

Dinner at the Kanteen restaurant was included in our package but we were very disappointed. The menu choice was quite poor and the food was not of a high quality. I ordered the only hot vegetarian choice available, a pasta dish with aubergine and tomato. I usually LOVE pasta dishes but this 1 was the worst I've had in a restaurant for as long as I can remember! It was bland and arrived in a watery tomato sauce. My friend ordered the chicken dish. She said it was ok, it did what it said on the tin but there was nothing special about it and she could have easily prepared it herself by just roasting the chicken in the oven. The soup we had for starter was again, ok. It was edible but not what I would expect in a 4 star hotel restaurant really. We didn't stay for dessert as this would have cost another £10 between us for 2 slices of cake and we'd seen enough!

* The breakfast: 2/5

This was a major disappointment also, as the continental breakfast included in our package looked quite unsubstantial with limited variety compared to other hotels we have stayed in. We decided to pay an extra £5.50 each to have something cooked for breakfast. I ordered beans on toast with hash browns. After waiting for half an hour (in a not even busy restaurant!) breakfast finally arrived. I actually did a double take in shock! I had in front of me 2 small slices of cold toast, a ramekin pot of beans which held no more than 25 beans in it and 1 small hash brown! My friend had a similar poor amount of food for what we'd paid for and I quickly asked the waitress if I could have more beans and hash browns. There weren't enough beans to cover even half a slice of toast in that small pot! The waitress did quickly bring out more food which is why it got 2 stars rather than 1.

* General service: 3/5

It was really mixed. The reception staff were quite disorganised, not being able to see what room we had booked on their screens, not having our room ready until after 3pm and losing our reservation details between us checking into the hotel and going straight to the spa and coming back to collect our room key. The restaurant staff were pleasant but slow considering the restaurant was practically empty, The spa treatment staff were fantastic - polite, enthusiastic and talented. The staff cleaning the spa were obviously concerned about the problems but paid the customers no attention at all.

Despite this very mixed review, I would return, if just for the comfy bed and amazing treatments! If I do return, I won't book a package that includes dinner and breakfast and will instead go to a proper restaurant across the road. We came home feeling relaxed and happy and pleased that we went but maybe expecting a bit more for our money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear secretstar87,

What an incredibly detailed review! Firstly, so glad you enjoyed fantastic treatments and our spa up to the short power cut. I do apologise that no one informed you at the time; I do believe our team were doing the best they could to fix the problem quickly but you are right, someone should have told you...

Regarding your dinner, we do have other vegetarian options such as our Halloumi burger, but I do apologise that the pasta dish was not to your taste. I have been working with the kitchen team this week to look at the dishes you were not happy with, as I am really proud of our menu and want the food to be on every plate to be amazing. Please get in touch with me on the email address below to discuss further – as I would love the opportunity to put this right.

gm@k-west.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This was a very nice hotel. Stylish. Good location. I didn't check out the so but my room was in the same floor where the spa was located and if I had more time I certainly would have checked it out. Now this is probably a four star property..ok maybe found and a half stars...but I have to give it three stars based on the problems with my bathroom. Now I was there on business so I knew I was really just checking in, dropping off bags, showering and leaving in the morning. However, the shower was not draining properly resulting in an overflow. A bit disappointing since the bathrooms are nicely styled. There was a huh dead spider in the room as well. Now I did not complain as it was very late at night and I was leaving in the morning. Other than these items which I'm sure the hotel can easily fix, this place was a happening spot. The lobby was cool. Very cool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Xecutiv
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hello Xecutiv,

Thank you for your review! We were doing so well until the bathroom issue... this is something we are looking into. I’ve never heard of a “huh” dead spider before (does it have spots and stripes??), but I do hope you let us know at the time as our brave young team would have been more then happy to help! Thank you for finding us happening and very cool, or are you talking about me? Can’t wait till you return!

Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hotel is not an inexpensive one (around 200 Euros/night), but on the other hand London is not a cheap city.
PRO:
Location:not far from the subway and/or you can even walk to Notting Hill
Rooms: very quite, but avoid to stay in those rooms close to the lobby

CONTRA:
Location: Shepard's Bush is an awful area.
Rooms: not particularly well furnished and with carpet. The bathroom is very small.
Lobby. very noisy and indeed the staff seems not to care if the customers act properly or not (i.e. I saw people with their feet on the chairs )
Breakfast: cheap, but poor. May be you can get a better service upstairs (English breakfast)
WiFI service.: working fine in the lobby, not always in the rooms and you may need more than one access code to navigate, since some of them do not allow you to enter and you need to ask for a new one
Overall, as I said, in London you got what you pay for. If you can afford a 300 Euros/night, stay away from this hotel and area, if not it a a reasonable compromise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank drGaynor
Dear drGaynor,

What an interesting review... I’m glad you kind of liked our location, being that we are just minutes away from Shepherds bush station and our rooms. I’m sorry that you thought Shepherd’s Bush is an awful area, I’m guessing shopping, dining and drinking isn’t what floats your boat?? As for the other Guests with feet on the chairs –if a Guest wants to put their feet up and relax then we don’t mind too much. I’m sorry it offended you but pleasing everyone in the World is the tough challenge I face daily. We have just introduced free Wifi – we have added loads of new technology to deal with the bigger demand, so on your next visit you won’t be disappointed! I know you will return.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

had a very good experience
location was easy to get to
staff were very friendly
the massage itself was amazing ... very relaxing
the treats that came with the room were well up to standard and the mocktail that was provided was amazing
would definitely come here again =D

Room Tip: which ever room you choose the bed is so comfortable
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Nikita P!

What a GREAT 4 STAR REVIEW! I am so glad you had a good experience with us! Easy to get to, friendly Team, AMAZING Massage, no wonder you had such a good time! We definitely can’t wait to welcome you back – let us know what do we need to do to move you to 5 Stars!!

Sliema, Malta
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel close to Westfield & tube. Great staff, had a serious illness while I was there & they were exceptionally brilliant, relaxed atmosphere & large airy rooms, will definatly go there again & the added bonus is that it's good value for money.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Simone444_13
Hi Simone4444_13

What a TERRIFIC 5 STAR REVIEW!! Our Team were pleased to be able to help you during your stay – we are here to help - whatever it takes! Glad you had a brilliant stay and found us good value! Can’t wait for you to come back soon!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Could not have asked for better, more attentive service. Nothing was too big an ask, staff were friendly and helpful and the room was a great size.

We came to celebrate our friend's hen party and the spa facility was second to none. The location is great too, on a quiet street just minutes away from Shepherd's Bush tube station. Loved every minute of my stay here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank roconnell
Martin H, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi roconnell,

What an AWESOME 5 STAR REVIEW! Attentive service! You will always get that with our Team – we train them on Guest service until it runs out of their ears!! So glad you enjoyed your stay and your friends Hen Party! We loved having you here! Till next time don’t be a stranger!

Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived at the Kwest hotel earlier than usual checkin time....
But pleasantly surprised that we were shown to a room very soon. After having to switch the first room because of no Internet, we moved further down the hall and the Internet was spotty but there!
The hotel was very comfortable , bed was great, the bathrooms large enough, and overall the staff very friendly. There was a computer/Internet room in the lobby to access Internet and printing facilities and it was useful for printing out itineraries boarding passes and so forth. The hotel is a five minutes walk from the shepherds Bush underground, which is right next door to the huge west field mall.... As well as lots of Bars and restaurants around the mall... And a huge Waitrose supermarket. Across the street from the underground was the over ground rail of Shepards Bush as well so all in all this location and the hotel was very convenient and a great place to stay for three days whilst visiting London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank superamelia
Hello superamelia,

What a Great 4 STAR REVIEW – all the way from Beverly Hills!!! Early check in, comfort, FREE Wifi, friendly Team, printing facilities! No wonder you enjoyed your stay!! We are definitely in the perfect location for shopping and sight seeing!! We do hope you come back soon and try our Spa! Maybe then we can move you to a 5 Star review!!