“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #484 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Wiltshire
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

My daughter and I were booked into this hotel at the very last minute due to an error with lastminute.com on the hotel we should have stayed in. Needless to say, as we had not chosen this hotel, and had very little time (the night before) to check the reviews, we were a little concerned about what to expect. We need not have been. It was a very nice hotel, the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly the young man who organised our taxi on Saturday night.

Yes, the room was small but all we needed it for was to get ready to go out and sleep in when we returned. Perfectly adequate. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable with a very thin but surprisingly very warm duvet. I had a pleasant night's sleep.

My only complaint would be to have larger bath towels (sheets) provided rather than the smaller bath towels supplied. Other than that i have no complaints and would definitely book here again.

We didn't make breakfast even though it was included so I cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your positive review about the Byron Hotel.

I was so happy to read your kind words. I have passed them on to my great team here at the hotel. I was glad you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we offer. Please be assured that we have taken your comments on board about bath towels as we try to improve by listening to our guests like you.

Please do come and stay with us again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Carmen Gomez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hungarian first
Vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I spent the first night in a room with one single an one twinbed. Even though there was plenty much space for me using this room alone and the bathroom was quite big and including a bathtube, it was very cold in there... turning on the heating was very loud and it didn't become any warmer anyway...
Fortunately I could change the room the next day and was very satisfied with my new little, cosy, warm single-bed-room.
Compared to other London Hotels (I'm staying in London once every year!) it was a really good offer then. It is true, that the doors are closing very noisy and you heare your neighbours leaving or coming back to there rooms through your door, but I always sleep with earplugs when I'm not sleeping in my own bed to avoid waking up by unacquainted noise... The bathroom was very clean and modern and big enough for single-use. The bed is small, but so am I ;-) and ALL members of staff were friendly and helpfull at ANY TIME.

If booking a hotel of this price class the Byron Hotel is really worth it.

The Byron Hotel is near some bus stops and near Queensway tube station - going to central London is easy then. On Queensway there are lots of supermarkets, restaurants, cafés, shops, health and beauty shops, ... and - very important for me, because I really LOVE this park - it is very close to Hyde Park!!! :-)

Room Tip: I can not recommend room number 3, but was very satisfied with room number 11... :-)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear Katharina,

Thank you for taking the time to post review following your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our lovely location which is stones throw from Hyde Park and world famous Oxford Street and Bond Street. Most of all I am pleased that you enjoyed our highly rated customer service. Our team here is also encouraged with your kind words.

As a guest, the points that you kindly raise about the doors being noisy are of particular concern as we realise that you have a right to expect consistency from us in all areas of your stay. Please rest assured that this is being followed up.

I hope to welcome to you back soon in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

It always amazes me that, what passes for comfort in a London hotel, would cost a fraction of the price anywhere else in the country. I was booked here via work and had no say in the matter but quite liked the idea of stopping in a non-chain hotel for once.

The staff were fine, friendly enough and the area is very convenient for travel and eating out. The room though left a lot to be desired. A single bed, a desk, a tiny tv and an adequate bathroom (no bath, just a shower) were, just about, squeezed into what was little more than a box room, it resembled a prison cell. Although I don't imagine prison cells smell that bad - stale tobacco smoke and damp.

What seems to be consistent with a lot of London hotels though is the deafening racket that can be heard at all hours of day and night - the doors in this place seem designed to make as much noise as possible and, if anyone enters or leaves their room, it reverberates throughout the building. The traffic wasn't excessive but every car/taxi/coach can be heard passing by. Needless to say, it wasn't a good night's sleep, compounded by the fact that the smoke detector on the ceiling blinked throughout the night, it was like sleeping in a lighthouse - I had to wrap a scarf around my head to block it out!

Quoting from the website: "The Byron has been professionally designed to provide modern standards of comfort in traditional surroundings whilst maintaining a country house atmosphere" - I'd like to know which country house it resembles so I can avoid that one too.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs and a blindfold!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dukeofbeeston
Dear reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Byron Hotel.

Whilst I am happy to read that you found our location very convenient and our staff friendly and happy, I am disappointed to read that you were having problem with the noise from the doors.

As you might have noticed, our hotel is a conversion of a beautiful Victorian House which gives our hotel very unique character and charm. We made our best to make the rooms functional. Normally, our guests find the space of the rooms sufficient and very comfortable.

I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not as good as most of our other guests. Once again we apologise for the problems faced.

Kind Regards,
Carmen Gomez.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in numerous hotels in London. I have never felt compelled to leave a review for anywhere but was truly dissapointed with the professionalism of this establishment.

I shan't go into details as I simply want to save your time. Put simply, I was charged full price for breakfast even though my purchase explicitly stated that it was included in the price and this was confirmed upon signing in. The two members of staff not only refused to refund me but were very rude and unprofessional. They would not answer a question directly and pretended not to understand what I was speaking about even though I am perfectly able to communicate in English. I was astounded to be confronted with such a refusal even though the terms of the receipt were clear. One stated he would leave a note for the manager but I heard nothing back. Further, the members of staff in question never smiled, were not welcoming and did not apologise for their behaviour.

Safe to say, I will never stay here again. There are many good hotels in the area which offer a far better service for less.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barry S
CapricornHotels, Director of Sales at The Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Barry S

I thank you for posting a review on The Byron Hotel and am of course very disappointed to read about your negative experiences. I am the managing director of the hotel and have tried to investigate your complaints with the limited information available on your profile and stay. I view negative experiences as an opportunity for us to look into any shortcomings that may exist in our organisation. I invite you to please write or email me on sudhen@capricornhotels.co.uk so that I may redress your concerns fully to your satisfaction. Upto now the hotel reviews have been very complimentary about our staff and procedures. Clearly we seem to have failed in these areas during your stay with us and I very much look forward to hearing from you.
Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

We booked as a family by walking in after a terrible experience at the Hyde Park Budget Apartments and were concerned about not knowing very much about the hotel. We found the hotel staff very helpful, able to accomodate our family in 2 rooms, which offered us all the required comfort for this type of hotel. We enjoyed the attitude of the staff and the breakfast service and would recommend this to anyone looking for a friendly, middle of the range hotel during their stay in London. Fernandes Family.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the welcome, facilities and most importantly the service to your liking. Our goal is to always provide a "home away from home" experience.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

My husband and I booked our stay with the Byron Hotel from Sat 8th Sept until Tues 11th Sept 2012. The purpose of our visit was to assist our daughter who had come to London to do her Masters Degree. We can honestly say that from the time of arriving at the hotel, until the time we left, we enjoyed everything about this little gem hotel. Whilst our room was not overly big, it was more than sufficient in size for two people and everything was clean and tidy. We stayed in room 18 overlooking the main street and had no problems sleeping. The room had air conditioning and also had a fan, which we made use of due to the very good weather. As for breakfast, we availed of the full English and were very pleased that this was included in the price at the time of booking. All of the staff at the Byron were more than accommodating and all were very friendly and polite and willing to assist in any way they could. Overall our experience of the Byron Hotel was excellent and we shall endeavour to book with this hotel again in the future and would even recommend it to a friend. Great location and the area felt safe at night!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angie M
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear Angie M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

I was so glad that you enjoyed your entire stay with us and found that the great team here delivered a service that met with your expectations. I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and location of the hotel and most of all our cooked English breakfast which is so popular with our guests.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we can’t wait to welcome you back at the Byron hotel.

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

I booked at the last minute and was a liitle concerned about not really knowing too much about where I was heading.
The hotel is very close to Queensway & Bayswater underground and the bus service into central London is also very close. Paddington station was a 10-15 minute walk.
Reception staff were helpful and welcoming and the hotel is maintained to a very high standard. I had a single room on the first floor which, although small had everything I needed.
There was no noise from passing traffic or late night revellers.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Fat-Tony1960
Dear Reviewer,

It’s wonderful to read that such a senior reviewer as yourself rates us so highly.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave such a wonderful review about The Byron Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and the high standards of the hotel. Our staff also is encouraged by your positive comments. We are located in the heart of London yet on a quiet street, which makes it comfortable and convenient for our guests. It’s really rewarding for our staff to see that they satisfied their guests.

Now I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.