“It was ok”
Review of The Byron Hotel

The Byron Hotel
Ranked #531 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 February 2013

It was my first trip to London so I have nothing to compare it to. We booked the trip through European Destinations.com so the hotel and airfare was put together in the price. The location was a block from a tube station which was great. Nice little pub around the corner. We didn't explore the neighborhood since we were busy on the go. Looked like other small hotels and hostels on same street. The area was safe and clean. Hotel was warm and clean. The lady at the desk during the day was friendly, the night guy was not unfriendly but not warm. Room VERY small...two of us in it and couldn't lay out our suitcases, had to get stuff out for the next day and then close it up and prop it up against the wall. Small hallways and elevator. False fire alarm the first morning rudely awakened us as we were recovering from jet lag. Very quiet. Didn't try the breakfast because we were on the go. Main sticking point: one hour of free wifi per day and only applied to one device. Had to pay for additional wifi time...not nice. Probably would look for a more modernized place next time. It was a good hotel for our purposes since we were never there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cathy M
CapricornHotels, Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Cathy,

Thank you very much for your review about the Byron Hotel.

I was really happy to read your great experience with our staff, the cleaningness and the decor of the hotel - we always keen to hear about it. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we offer.
I do understand your point of you about the room sizes. Our hotel is a converted building and some rooms are indeed smaller as an average double room in the US. We certainly have much bigger rooms, so for your next stay we will make sure that you are getting a bigger room.

There are newer reviews for The Byron Hotel

Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Lots of problems for a single stay. Had to move to another hotel, as the shower door broken on a Saturday and wouldn't be fixed till Monday. The building is very nice from the outside, but maintenance is an issue. Wouldn't recommend it to a friend, unless if in a VERY tight budget.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Paulohgc
CapricornHotels, Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am extremly sorry for the inconvenience what the broken shower door has caused. However, we have offered you to move to another room, but you haven't stay.
The problem now has been fixed naturally and we do hope that you will return to the Byron Hotel and we can prove our great service.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Two gutters leaking from the cealing made my night one that I couldn't sleep at all. One was dripping on the floor, making a terrible rithmic sound. The other was dripping on the table, and I was lucky to move all my stuff out of it, because the next morning the table was completely wet and it would have ruined my passport and everything else.

Terrible night.

The location of the hotel is great, though.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Felipe,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Byron Hotel.

We have now investigated the problem and the leak came through a small crack, it has been now repaired.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you will return to the Byron Hotel so we can prove our great hospitality and customer service.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I had a delightful stay at the Byron Hotel. My room was immaculately clean, warm, quiet and comfortable. It was always quiet and pleasant when I sat in the lounge and it was nice to go there sometimes during the day. The breakfast was marvellous. There was something for everyone and the staff were very kind in offering to toast my gluten free bread. I had a most delicious cooked English breakfast and when I had a guest to join me the staff were very considerate in letting us stay on to talk. I really recommend this central London hotel, with its excellent transport links, in every way.

Meg Donovan

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Meg D
CapricornHotels, Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear Meg,

Thank you very much for your positive review about the Byron Hotel.

I was absolutely thrilled to read your detailed feedback following your stay with us, on our central Location and that enjoy our cooked English breakfast which is so popular with our guests. I will also pass on your kind words to my great team. Our reception team always makes sure to attend all the needs as well as provide valuable information and insider tips to discover London.

Please do come and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I recently stayed at the Byron Hotel and found that the location was not bad. It was about 2 blocks (max) away from a tube station along with a few pubs and other shops. The staff was polite and helpful. When we got to the hotel it was prior to the check in time. They had a room ready and allowed us to check in early.
The main concern I have with the hotel are the room sizes. I understand that in London (like most larger/older cities) the hotel rooms can be tight. This was beyond tight. The room had 2 twin beds, table, tv, ect. There was a 2nd chair that wasn't really needed considering the size of the room. To open our luggage, we actually had to put the bags on the bed and open them that way. The beds themselves were at best cots. I found them very uncomfortable but most nights I was so exhausted from traveling the city, I could have slept anywhere. On a positive, the bathroom was nicely situated and the shower had great water pressure.
Would I stay here again? I would say never say never but I can probably bet there's better options out there.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street and didn't seem to have much insolation. If there are any "...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your review about the Byron Hotel.

I was really happy to read your great experience with our staff - we always keen to hear about it and let them know if they've done good job. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we offer.
I certainly do understand your point of you about the room sizes. Our hotel is a converted building and some rooms are smaller as an average double room in the US. We certainly have much bigger rooms, so for your next stay we will make sure that you are getting a bigger room.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Myself and two girlfriends spent a night here just before Christmas. The reception staff was exceptionally helpful, allowing us to leave our luggage long before and after check-in times. The room was small but clean,warm and had all the necessary bits and pieces. Plenty of hot water and fresh towels.Breakfast was fine. We had continental style which was more than enough although it would be a nice touch if the croissants were warmed in the oven not in the microwave. There was a very good selection of up to date leaflets in the entrance hall. With just a few minutes walk from the tube station and the royal parks very close by, I would definitely stay at the Bryon Hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2013

Dear valued guest,

We thank you very much for your positive review on The Byron, and are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are further pleased to note that our location and good value for money once again combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience. We offer a comprehensive breakfast comprising of a choice of continental breakfast as well as a cooked traditional English breakfast (bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans and eggs).

We now look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 January 2013

My sister and I visited London in August 2009. We chose the Byron based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the W2 location. I was very happy with my choice! The hotel is very quaint, and blends in with the historic feel of the neighborhood. The room was small (especially by US standards), but clean (I'm a germaphobe...so this was important), cozy and well appointed. The bathroom was also small, but very clean with nice, modern fixtures. The tub was deep...which meant the tub walls were way too high! I'm 5'7" tall, and almost fell twice while trying to step out of the shower. After I got used to the necessity to high step in and out, I was fine. We had front facing room and could see the cute quiet neighborhood from our window. There were few (if any) amenities, so if that is important to you...you may not appreciate this hotel. We were never in our rooms (except for sleeping and getting dressed) so that was not high on our list of priorities. The beds were comfortable, and there was a safe in the tiny closet for our valuables.

The staff was AWESOME! Very friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. They were protective of us, as if we were little sisters. We met a guy while in London, who tried to gain access to our room. The staff member came up to check if that was okay (which it was NOT), and laughed at our response. He made the guy wait for us in the Lobby, and kept an eye on him until we came down! LOL! Another guy on the street stopped to ask us a question as we were leaving to explore the city one day, and the staff stood watch, as if to ensure his intentions! We felt very safe there!

THE LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION can't be beat! The Hotel is located steps from Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace. Follow the (2 mile) walking path through the scenic Park, and you will find other attractions, such as Buckingham Palace on the other side. Other attractions such as Notting Hill, Portobello Market, and Hyde Park, museums were within walking distance also. Not a short walk per say (within 1 mile)...but definitely walkable, unless you're elderly or perhaps have a physical disability that makes walking difficult. We were a couple of blocks from the Queensway Tube (which took us everywhere we wanted to go). So, the first thing you should do in London is buy an extended day tube pass!!!!! The hotel was also within walking distance to restaurants. (We had breakfast at the Waffle House every morning. No...it's not the same as the diner version in the USA. It was clean, and very good. The staff was great there too! They modified my order to create an American breakfast. I LOVE international food...but I have to have my American breakfast!

ALL this is to say...I recommend the Bayswater area, and a hotel stay at the Byron!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice review about the Byron Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and even more so to know that my team took such good care of you and your sister. Once again our great location and great customer service has combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for recommending us and we now look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warm Regards,