“Awful Beyond Belief”

Ranked #1,019 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Awful Beyond Belief”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've given them 1 circle purely because when I arrived the staff were friendly. We were actually upgraded and if the room we got was an upgrade I would hate to see the others!!

We were given a flat as an upgrade, my boyfriend had already checked into it and as he was late for a meeting just dropped his bags and left. When I arrived, the building the flat was in did not look the nicest place. On entering the flat I can only assume that it was used as a staff house. It was filthy! Most of the light bulbs didn't work, the water tank made an horrific noise every time you turn on the tapes or flushed the toilet. I had to wipe the table as it was covered in..... well who knows what it was covered in and I used the spare towels to cover the dirtiest carpet I've ever seen.

They should be embarrassed to call themselves a Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kameron G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Singleton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in July where we had to book at late notice as our previous accommodation fell through. Staff at reception were quite helpful and allowed us to store our luggage there before and after we had checked in and out. They also hooked us up with a great shuttle bus that took us straight to the airport with no hassles.
This hotel was a great hotel for us as it had included breakfast, free wifi that worked in the room, great location that was super close to two underground stations and was a great base for us to store our things and crash after a full day of sightseeing. If you're planning on staying in this hotel for more than that you might not enjoy your stay as it really was just a base for us to stay when we spent most of our time out and about.
Would stay again as it was so easy to make your way around London having two underground stations only a block away, as well as a street full of restaurants and shops made it a convenient location.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank geeksneedlove
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

After reading some of the more favourable reviews for this hotel, I decided to book, unfortunately, very disappointing! The location of this hotel is superb....spitting distance from Bayswater & Queensway tube stations and Hyde Park at the end of the road, what more could you ask for......the accommodation however did let the place down. I stayed with my two children (11 & 9) and our room was right at the front overlooking the very busy street, with a bus stop right outside. The room was so hot that we had to have the very large window/doors open for ventilation, but unforutnately the constant traffic noise kept us all awake, aswell as another guest who decided to sit outside shouting on his mobile phone for over an hour at 3am!! The room decor needs updating, and there seemed to be electrical wires hanging all over the place, tv didn't work properly and when you have two children that like to chill out before dinner, trying to keep them occupied while getting ready without a tv was hard. Breakfast was also disappointing....the dining area was very grubby and none of the tables had been wiped down after previous guests useage. Breakfast is served between 7.30 & 9.30am, however we were advised when checking in that it does run to 10.00am, so on our first morning had a lazy start and made it for 9.20am only to find that breakfast provisions were starting to be cleared away, and by 9.30am they had all gone, so we only managed a cup of tea and one piece of toast :-( I would only recommend this hotel to use purely as a base for sight seeing, if you want your creature comforts you won't find them here. Such a shame as the hotel is perfectly placed, and really needs updating.

Room Tip: do not get room 105 (right at the front of the hotel overlooking a very busy road)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank HappyCampersToday

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

After a few trips to London, I decided that staying outside the city center was not worth the time and trouble - since I am actually there to see the city. So after much research on TripAdvisor, I chose to stay at Whiteleaf. I knew going in that it was not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but that was OK. I was willing to sacrifice a few creature comforts for the affordable price in the city.

The room was quite small, including the bathroom. There was barely room to turn around in the bathroom. Anyone qualifying as 'obese' by American standards would literally not fit in the bathroom. The accommodations were basic and quite acceptable. Upon arriving back to the hotel, I witnessed the cleaning people bleaching the entryway, so that was a sign to me that the owner takes some pride in the place. The rooms are quite close to each other, and the walls are thin, so if outside noises bother you - bring ear plugs.

The breakfast was just bread and cereal, even though they say 'continental.' But we just walked around the corner to the grocery and brought in our own fruit, etc.

The location more than makes up for whatever inadequacies I may have experienced. The Underground (circle line) in literally a block away and we even had opportunity to come back to the room and drop things off or freshen up during the day. No problem!

The desk staff was very nice and extremely helpful. Any questions, maps, reservations etc were seen to with a smile. I will consider coming to stay here again on my next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had no big expectations with the price of this place but had a really lovely stay here with the family. Breakfast basic but did the job and would recommend this place as a decent place to stay for any family. The family room for 6 was extremely good value.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank harriette w
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Genuinely the worst place I've ever stayed in. The crazy thing is, it's in a brilliant location - close to two tube stations, close to a busy street with supermarkets, pubs & restaurants, pretty much everything you need when visiting London.

I stayed in a single bed box room, next to the main staircase in the hotel (right outside my door). I had to share a bathroom and a shower with the rest of the floor, and to think we're in 2013 - in LONDON!
Not only that, the staff were incredibly unhelpful, and very smug when they claimed I had to pay for the entire 5 nights I had booked, even though my company had tried to cancel my stay after the first night but were hung up on and ignored at every chance they got.

Simply put - do not stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Michael H
Cheshire UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I paid £440 for two nights stay.for two people with booking.com.This was a last minute trip which foolishly I paid for in advance .Don't make my mistake for goodness sake.We were put in a third floor bedroom (there is no lift).The bedroom lacked drawers to put clothes in and there was nowhere to hang a dress or suit trousers as the wardrobe had a partition through it's middle. The toilet smelt of urine.The shower flooded the bedroom when used.The bedroom was on the noisy front side of the hotel and the bed had broken springs.Alongside this there was a constant droning noise of water similar to the sound of a flushing toilet all through the night.They claim to offer a continental breakfast but what's on offer is in fact a choice of two cereals,toast,processed cheese, dry stale croissants and mediocre lukewarm coffee. This is quite simply the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.The only positive thing I can say is that the staff were pleasant enough.This "hotel" is in desperate need of "the hotel inspector" and does not deserve it's 2 star status.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family