“appaulling”

“appaulling”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Good points - brilliant location
That is all
Booked 2 double rooms. First one had 3 single beds (different heights) with a view of a stack of rubbish bags. Damp walls, 1 light out of 4 working, a broken wardrobe and a filthy shower and bedding.
Room 2 had dirty sheets, I found a blood stain on one side. Out of 6 lights 1 worked, 1 flickered by itself. Paint dried on a towel. Disgusting shower again and a view of the builders on the scaffolding "refurbishing" the building. Was then shown 3 more rooms equally as dirty with one having urine left on a toilet seat!
YES URINE LEFT ON THE SEAT !!!

After arguing with manager and having to get booking.com customer services to help us, the owner eventually come down. Refused to accept his hotel was dirty, rudely reminding me it wasn't 5 star. After his staff confirmed with him the rooms hadn't be cleaned and after an hour and half of arguing I was eventually given a refund. I wish I had read trip advisor reviews before booking this as I am one of only a few to receive a refund. I am now staying in a premier inn in earls court finally enjoying my city break

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Natalie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Before I arrived at the hotel I checked my bank statement and noticed that the hotel had deducted the cost of the room for two nights from my card, £114. No problem, I thought to myself, it needs paying and that's one thing I wont have to do when I arrive.

So, I arrive and the man at the desk asks for a further payment of £119.70. I tell him I have already paid and he says "no, the £114 ha just been frozen in your account and will be released back to you in about a week". I had been awake since 4.30am in order to go up and work in the capital every week and this situation was not a happy one. I asked to see the manager who promptly cam along and told me that his colleague was wrong and that if I simply punched in my pin number the money would only be taken once. I advise him that if they did take it twice I would know as I can check my bank statement on my phone, to which the manager asked me if I was "threatening" him????? At this I admit I got very upset and started crying. I am a woman alone and tired in the capital, and a 6 foot plus man is asking me if I am threatening him because I questioned why he was trying to charge me twice??????

Things got even worse when I got to the room. The whole place stinks of cat pee. The room was APPALLING. I tried to open the window to let some air in the and metal catch crumbled in my hand. Despite going down to get a man from reception to help me he could not fix it so the window was unlockable and there is scaffolding all over the from of the hotel making nice easy access for anyone who would like to come in a burgle me. The following day my boyfriend arrived and he has been around the world travelling and staying in cheap and grotty little places but he was gobsmacked at how awful the Whiteleaf was (I think he thought I was exaggerating). So bad was it that he didn't want to walk on the carpet without his socks on.

Anyway, the day I left I discovered the hotel had in fact charged me twice, £114 frozen and £119.70 on the day. A week later the £114 unfroze and was back in my account. So the unkind man on reception had lied to me.

I cannot begin to comprehend how this place exists as a business. Its awful, simply awful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank LifeOnAPlate
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Illegite, dirty poor service, faulty equipment that's dangerous, exposed wires sharp surfaces cutting ourselves on the edges, shower didn't work. Just a sham of a hotel really. Surprised they've not been shut down by health and safety

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank L D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We booked this 'hotel' for the location, that is excellent and very accessible to both the Central line and District line metros...But it was no more then a 1* accommodation under the guise of a 3* 'rating'. More like a hostel. No hot water for 4 of the 7 days....no light in our bathroom..until we made them switch our room (taking us to a filthy room to bath, with used towels on the floor, in the interim) Dirty, small, with a horrible smell that still lingers. Had paid in full (more then 170$ a day and wanted a refund to switch hotels, but they would not give it, under ANY circumstances...Absolutely Unacceptable and No Customer Service !!

Room Tip: No acceptable rooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank SDERDER
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I booked at the last minute and was looking for something cheap, but I still ended up paying way over £100 per night for what was basically a cupboard, with a single bed, sheets with holes. Terrible. The second worst hotel I've ever seen in Europe.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jgkennaway
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We we're put in this hotel after our other one overbooked. First look of the place,looks like they are refurbing but pretty nice.the reception was okay,not exactly welcoming or helpful but told us our room number and had to find it ourselves. It looked more like a b&b rather than a hotel. Room was okay for a triple room,double bed and single with an en suite,it was clean but tiny! Just enough room for one person to move around,while the other 2 sat on the bed. The place needs a seriously good refurb but it's okay if you just want somewhere to rest your head for the night,breakfast is simple,toast and croissants with juice,tea and coffee.

• Stayed September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This place is in a great location, all services are at the door steps and within a very short walking distance are great restaurants, supermarkets, and novelty shops. The hotel itself is only OK, our last room was quite reasonable, relatively clean and showers were good. the staff are very friendly and do go out of their way to help. I'd give breakfast a miss its pretty basic and you can get a full English brekky for only 6 pounds around the corner. The staff allowed us to store our luggage which is a bonus, however I would have to say this Hotel is only a Budget Hotel, and you get what you pay for. Huge tip - don't get sucked in on the offer of the 2 bedroom flat, it sounds good but OMG its filthy & smells could not wait to get out of it

Room Tip: G02 or G03 are probably the 'best'
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple