“Disappointed”

Ranked #1,006 of 1,067 Hotels in London
australia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I am not sure why this hotel has a 3star rating as the only two good things about it are it's location ( a mere 200mt from Bayswater tube) and a staff member named Cameron( who was exceptionally friendly and helpful) . For the money it is certainly overrated. We booked a twin room and it was tiny. Hardly enough room to put a suit case anywhere let alone 2 and two carry on bags! There was only 25 cm gap between the bed and the bathroom door. If you are more than average size just do not bother! The bathroom is worse. You could not stand I front of the sink as the toilet is in the way. Which is ridiculous unless you want to use the sink while you are sitting on the toilet. The shower is tiny I think maybe 75cm squared. There is no shower shelf, not even for soap so when you reach to the floor to get shampoo or soap you get a wet shower curtain wedgie. Hot water takes about two minuets to arrive. The floor gets very wet which might not be a problem ordinarily, however we had to ask twice to be provided with a bath mat and hand towel. Also do not use the loo at night as you will wake the person sleeping in the bed 10inches away from you.if it's not the squeaky floor then the light will do the trick. The light switch is outside the bathroom on the opposite side to the handle and the fan starts as soon as the light comes on. So the room is bathed in light and noise all at once. Don't worry about tripping over your suitcase on you way to the bathroom though as there is plenty of light streaming in through the gaps around door that joins the hallway. Plus if you are there in summer you will also have both the curtain and window open just so you can breath. There is no ceiling fan, though a small portable fan/heater is there providing minor relief from the stuffy airless room. The fittings are old and shabby there is not even a bedside table we had to use a chair. One of the lights did not work and was not fixed during our 4 night stay ( we would not have stayed but we were required to pay in advance - I wonder why????-big mistake).You can feel springs in the beds and the covers and pillows are thin and old. It is seriously in need of demolishing. Voices in the hall are clearly heard through the fore mentioned gaps around the door. So you can wake up tired to find yourself faced with an extremely basic breakfast. Thin bread, choice of 3 basic cereals and croissants jam and butter, basic coffee on a warmer and tea. Don't be late as it is all packed up at 9.30Am sharp. In fact they packed it all away while we were still eating. I can not believe that people wrote good things about this hotel. I am soooooooo disappointed that I stayed here!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank hidebs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Forget staying here even if someone pays you. I was greeted by a rude and surly receptionist who demanded my passport, despite me being a British National. You can see from the other reviews that it's dirty and tatty. There was no way I would eat in this filthy hole, who knows what you could catch. I didn't want to sleep on the filthy bed and I would not walk on the filthy carpets with no shoes on. The bathroom is a joke - to sit on the toilet you had to slide in sideways and you could rest you chin on the basin.

I had the added misfortune of going to bed and being awoken by water dripping through the ceiling at the end of my bed. I moved my clothes and went back to sleep. Half an hour later I was awoken by water dripping through the ceiling onto my head. This carried on and soaked the head end of my bed. Upon departure, getting the ignorant man on reception to acknowledge me was a challenge as he was more interested in his iPhone. I told him about the bed, the leak etc and asked for a refund. He ignored me and said the manager wasn't here and that I would have to leave a note with my details. Obviously I haven't had a call. Because they take payment before you check in you don't have any recourse.

Overall, as I said, you would need to be paid to stay here. If I had the choice I would rather sleep rough and take my chances with the weather. Without doubt this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in the UK. I intend to drop a note into the environmental health department.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Martin S
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

On arrival walked to my room across threadbare carpet taped together in places. Bed sheets were stained and had hairs in. Also shower basin was mouldy and also had hairs in. Generally an unclean place. staff offered to put me in another room the following day but to be honest that first impression was enough to put me off the place
. I would avoid this hotel at all costs. I refused to stop here and found another hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Chris D
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Well. Where to start... Perhaps with the worst: ITCH MITES. For real: I got itch mites in The Whiteleaf Hotel, London. Probably from the extra blanket from the filthy cupboard. I had to use it because it was quite cold in March and the battery was stone cold, of course. There was no warm water at all during my 5-night-stay. Reception service was non-existent. I spent some time in the reception room because it was the only place in the building where wi-fi sometimes - accidentaly I suppose - was working. So I also had time to see how the management behind the desk behaved. Poorly. People kept coming to complain about several things, and a simple and often just rude "We're working on it" was the answer to everything and everyone. - I'd have been very happy if I only could forgot the whole experience - except the bloody ITCH MITES which were horrible, horrible, horrible. The one point I'm giving goes to the young cleaners (not speaking a word of English though) and night staff at the reception, who were normal people working in a normal way. And for listening to sex behind the paper thin walls. The location is the only good thing here but thank god there are other choices in Bayswater.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Kaisa H
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I am taking the time to write this review so you can save yourself the pain we experienced at this hotel.

We were looking to spend 3 days in London near Hyde Park and found White Leaf so I booked 3 nights from 27th to 30th May 2014 for our stay.

Being charged £287 for 3 nights I thought that the hotel standards would be fair to say the least.

I visited this so called Hotel with my wife and a 4 year old.

The experience was nothing short from being horrific. At mid night we were shocked to discover weird looking insects all over the bed,we were disgusted when I squashed one with a tissue and it was full of blood.

I reported this to the reception immediately and was handed clean bedsheets instead of another room, apparently they had no rooms available that night.

By 2AM the bed bugs had bitten my wife and my 4 year old several times making us all extremely uncomfortable. The bed sheets were covered in blood stains as we found and killed more of these blood suckling insects.

We came down to the reception deciding that we had had enough. We were then allocated another room on the ground floor which according to the gentleman at the reception had been prepared for another guest who had apparently not arrived.

This room was smelly with stained dirty bed sheet covers. The carpets were filthy and it looked like they had not been hoovered in weeks.

I complained to the manager of the hotel the next morning about the bed bugs to which he remarked... "Was it that bad?"

That same day we left for the day and upon returning we found that our things had been moved to another room without our permission.

Out of the 3 we stated at this hotel for 1 night and left with no sleep and a very bad experience.

Upon returning back home 2 days later my wife had to attend a hospital due to being pregnant because of an infection which caused spots and sores all over her skin. Her condition was caused by the bed bugs and the unhygienic atmosphere of the White Leaf hotel rooms.

After reporting to booking.com the hotel kindly issued me a refund for the third night but charged me for the first two.

From the untrained staff at the reception who had never heard of dirty rooms and bed bugs, there was absolutely nothing positive about this hotel and I made the mistake of booking it without checking the reviews.

In the 24 hours we were moved to 3 different rooms starting from Room # 205 which had bed bugs.

All rooms were dusty and had dirty stained carpets, none of the 3 rooms had been hoovered in probably weeks. There was left over chocolate and a dirty old tissue on the carpet in the third room we were moved to.

The hotel staff and the manager did not show any sign of concern as if it was the norm for the hotel to receive such complaints on a daily basis.

Hygiene and cleanliness is the last thing on this hotels list. Stay Away!

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Tipu A
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in this hotel in April. The hotel was not that bad but the service is horrible.
In the morning I went to visit the city and when I came back and ask for the room keys my surprise that the staff change my room without saying anything. They took all my things and move from one room to the other knowing that this is illegal.
I went to my new room and an adaptor was missing and my suitcase was broken. I went to the reception and they said they were going to look for my adaptor. Today, 28th may I'm still waiting.
The receptionist said that he will send me a bottle of wine for compensation. I'm still waiting also for that.
I strongly recommend you to go to an other place!!!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Anaesb
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Room really needs redecoration, I was in a basement room. Carpet all wet, lights tripped out when switched on, bug in bed, lots of hair in shower plug, mattress too soft, curtain too small for window so too much light came in, and hair dryer broken. No soap.

• Stayed May 2014