Barry House
US$308
US$285
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationhyde parkvictoria pubshort visit to londonadequate breakfastshared toiletstaff was extremely helpfulno liftchoice of cerealstriple roomsmall bathroombeansstayed in this hotel for nightsfamily roomlower floorbudget hotelfree wifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I just checked out from Barry House Hotel. I stayed here several times during last 7 years, this time after a two years pause. I had nice experience every time, but this time I was really excited - there are new bathrooms for example (not in all the rooms yet, but there should be in all rooms by the next spring).
Rooms are rather small (not for me, but I am already used to average size of English budget hotels), but very clean and there is everything you need (soap, shampoo, hairdryer etc).
Breakfast is fine (eggs, ham, sausage, beans, toast, cereals, milk, butter, marmalade).
Manager of the hotel is nice and helpful.And last not least - you can reach Hydepark or Paddington Station by 3 minutes walk.

There is no lift I think and some rooms are on the 4th floor, the rooms and breakfast is simple, this is no Ritz. It is more a family run BB than a hotel - with all advantages and disadvantages.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martina S
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I went to London for a week in mid November. I Traveled to see the city for few days then watch tennis at the o2 arena. The Barry House Hotel is very nice, basic and simple. If you are looking for a nice breakfast, clean bed, super front desk service during daylight hours this place is great. The hotel is located in a very central area near Hyde Park and down the street from a 24 hour station for food and burger king open until 2 am. Most locations I was able to walk to or travel by tube within 10 minutes. As stated in the most previous review, the hotel does not have a lift, however that was communicated to me before I made a reservation. I will tell anybody who books hotels rooms in general to do your research and be aware of what amenities and services are offered. I knew what to expect and because of my research had a pleasant stay.
To address the hotel itself, Bobby is amazing and always at his best to provide customer service. He was able to answer any questions I had and give great tips for travel and commute. Practically, he has knowledge of every sight and area in London. The final thing I want to address are the bad breakfast reviews. The breakfast to my best memory included sausage links, bacon, eggs, cereal, toast and jam, coffee, and tea. This is very close to a customary british or US breakfast (only missing fried tomatoes or mushrooms) The breakfast was very good and tasted the same as any other breakfast I had in a London restaurant or the o2 arena. I guess the only thing I could request would be to have a visible person at the desk during night hours. But all in all, I would and will stay here again!! Thanks Bobby to you and your father.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Connor S
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2011

Thank you for your complementary words. It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and I look forward to your next visit.

Best Wishes,
Bobby

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed at the Barry House for 5 nights. Overall it worked for us being in a good location, a fairly quiet street (the back side was incredibly quiet) and a decent price which includes breakfast. The room we had was small, but no smaller than the 3 other places i stayed on previous visits to London. There was room to move around and places to stow our luggage. The back rooms overlook a mews (where the horses were once stabled). It's all residential now with only a few stables way back and around the corner. It was quiet enough to sleep with the windows open. I'm a light sleeper.

The location is great with paddington station a 10 minute walk one way and lancaster gate tube station and hyde park a 10 minute walk the other way. The street is quiet with low traffic. Still we chose a room on the back which was very quiet.

The room and bath were a bit worn but fine. Some of the rooms have been renovated but ours had not.

The owner was a bit hard for us to understand. His son on the other hand was easy to understand and very helpful. When we could not get wifi reception in our room he brought a special connector that we could use during our stay. he also brought us a fan as it was a bit warmer than usual during our stay.

Breakfast is just ok. But it's full english and good to get you going. Most london hotels no longer provide a full english breakfast or if they do it's an expensive add on. The toast was inedible being the cheapest quality and toasted in advance and stored until use.

All and all for the price it is a good value.

The only significant down side was communication with the owner was not easy via either email or voice. I had asked if they had rooms with shared bathrooms on the floor we were staying on. He assured us there were no shared toilets on our floor. There are. We had a shared toilet next door and a shared shower across the hall. It wasn't as bad as a previous experience which is why we avoid it now, but it was annoying as we had been told otherwise.

Note: there is no elevator, we prefer this as it's quieter.

Room Tip: Top floor back are quiet enough to sleep with the windows open.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We just returned from a long weekend in London. There were a total of nine of us (all adults) staying for two nights. The booking was made my a friend in the group. I generally stay closer to the Piccadilly Underground Line, but as for location, this place is almost as good. It's less than 10 slow walking minutes straight down the street to Paddington National Rail and Underground stations. The neighborhood is pleasant: lots of large, leafy trees, some nice restaurants and pubs, and a couple of late-night convenience stores as well. You can't fault the location, really.

The gentleman at the front desk for our entire visit was very friendly, and VERY helpful. He got some last-minute theatre tickets for some of the group at a very good price (and they were good seats, too!) He was unfailingly pleasant.

Now to the negatives. For the average American especially, this would not be a good place to stay at all. There is NO elevator, and the 17 rooms are as much as 4 floors away from the lobby (or 75 long steps, as one attic-dweller in our group put it!) The staircases are VERY narrow, and winding, and it is a serious, difficult hike even up two floors if you have any luggage at all. The gentleman at the desk did offer to help with the bags, but this place is not for elderly people, or people with lots of bags, or kids, in my opinion.

The rooms are TINY. As an American that has lived in Europe a long time, I expect that, but the singles (and even the attic doubles) are ridiculously small. The sink in the bathroom was about nine inches across: my laptop computer has a bigger screen! The showers can only be accessed by very thin, very small people. There was literally less than two feet between the sink on one side and the wall on the other, to get into the shower. I didn't bother, because it actually looked unsafe to me.

The room was clean. The TV worked well. Most of the rooms face the street and it's very quiet: as long as you keep the windows closed. But if you like fresh air while you sleep, bring extra-strength earplugs: otherwise you won't sleep.

One other odd note: I was in a single, which of course meant a small twin bed. The bed was on wheels, so if I moved in bed at night, so did the bed! Pretty strange feeling.

I didn't eat breakfast, but those that did said it consisted of about half-a-cup of scrambled eggs and some toast. It's only served between 8 and 9 AM: hardly worth getting up for, really.

To summarize, as many others have said here: if you don't mind little rooms, and you're very flexible about where you stay, this is a good choice. The price (£60 for a single, £80 for a double in the attic) is good for London, but honestly, you can find better in town for the same (or less).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Daniel S
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for your review.
I have looked into the issue of the wheels on the bed and have ordered some alternative legs without wheels which should solve this issue.
Our breakfast consists of a selection of breakfast cereals, toast, marmalade, jams and freshly cooked eggs to order. Scrambled eggs are always cooked with two eggs and we are happy to make larger portions on request. To accompany the eggs we serve bacon, sausages and beans, an English Breakfast.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Very disappointed with the Barry House. You'll get a clean bed but not much else. Lots of outside noise, lots of stairs, extremely small loo, breakfast lacking in taste and staff barely says anything to you.. Don't fall for it when staff asks if you wish to pay in your own currency. They really rip you off if you don't pay in British pounds. I stayed 4 nights but found much nicer places down the street for almost half the price. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo