“Nice find at great rates”

Blakemore Hyde Park
Ranked #302 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Nice find at great rates”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's not the easiest place to find so maybe better to use a taxi.

Lets get the uncomfortable bit out of the way first...it took too long to check in. However the young man was under training so allowances have to be made.

The Reception is smart clean and elegant, concierge professional and polite ensured our ordered taxis were on time.

We had a suite (free upgrade) large bedroom full seated area and decent sized bathroom - there was a shower only but were fine with that. Bed very big - clean and large screen TV plus air con and free wi fi.

We chose not to eat at the hotel as we were attending an event that had much food.

The location can be a little remote from attractions thus a taxi ride or underground will be needed.

We liked the hotel and if your not bothered about a ten minute taxi ride I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We found this hotel via booking.com and we paid £144 for an executive room including continental breakfast. You can upgrade to full English for £5 a head which is well worth it.

The executive rooms on the first floor are of a very high standard with bags of space. You even get a TV in the shower/bath. Beds are very comfortable and we slept well. Excellent English breakfast and one of the few hotels I've stayed in recently which had good quality coffee at breakfast instead of the usual insipid stuff. Nice bar and terrace for when the sun shines. Compared to what you'll pay for a Premier Inn in London, this place is a bargain. Situated immediately behind Kensington Palace Gardens.

Room Tip: Try an Executive Room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Blakemore_10, Manager at Blakemore Hyde Park, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your excellent comments. Our executive rooms are of high standards with a touch of class and elegance for making your stay comfortable. Please do call us or e-mail us directly if you plan your next visit to London.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 27 May 2014

There is nothing better than getting more than you expected. This is especially true when travelling. From the minute we arrived, this hotel delivered superior service and excellent accommodations. The service level was amazing, from the friendly, helpful kitchen staff to the bellmen. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world and this one tops my list for the most helpful, friendly, knowledgable, staff. They helped us with everything we needed, including getting our phones and computers on line! Everything was sparkling clean. The food was excellently prepared and we enjoyed the most tasty soups I have ever been served. Every morning we were greeted by these lovely people and it made our stay in London the best ever! We stayed four days and my opinion never wavered. We loved every minute and it did not matter that it rained! It is impossible to say enough about this hotel staff... It will definitely be my first choice when in London.

Room Tip: The area was quiet, so you can have a nice view from the front of the hotel without disturbing noise...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Blakemore_10, Manager at Blakemore Hyde Park, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Mrs. Kielland,

Thank you for your excellent comments. These kind of comments do motivate us in providing the best quality service and maintain high standards. We want to welcome you again in our hotel so please do contact me directly to book.
Albi
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a pretty decent hotel having stayed at many hotels in London over the years, this is up there. Price for London reasonable and the rooms I had so far were new and comfortable, clean and noise free and spacious enough. Not five star but who can afford that in London nowadays.
Breakfast is decent nothing wrong with it except the fruit juices are of inferior quality perhaps and the cereals are all factory stuff.
I have not had and dinner in the hotel, maybe try it once neither did I try the gym. Staff is very friendly but not the fastest plus their english is variable in fluency. Very often people have to wait too long at reception for checking in or out. Understaffing and new trainees I think, appear to be the reason for this. Good location, quiet and yet close to subway stations and Hyde Park. Will stay there again this week.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nlesh
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night. It has nice rooms but the bathroom had only hot water in the shower. The hot tap in the washhand basin supplied at best tepid water. It would have been an irritant if I'd had to stay for longer.

Room Tip: Book just before you go as prices can be substantially lower than booking further in advance but you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MWhite_11
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I had reviewed Blakemore with the best commets earlier this year.
Iam visiting Blakemore for the 3rd time in 2014. I was so excited i finally found a descent hotel with nice restaurant but my last stay was the worst.
1. there was renovation going on during my stay and everyday workers woke me up.
(once i was woken up by the cleaning lady at 9.30, once by the extra loud workers outside who were painting the exterior of the building outside my window and once by the ventilation guy.)
2. Workers were getting in my room during my absence. Ventilation guys were checking my rooms' systems and stuff WERE MISSING from my suitcases. Money and packs of cigarettes.
3.The TV was not working in my room and i had to inform the reception 2 times since checked the problem.
4. the rooms door could not be opened using the card key and i had to recharge cards, mine and my husbands, many times during my stay.

Furthermore I paid 225 euro/ night for my stay but I had to pay more in order to eat warm breakfast since only cold breakfast was included within that rate.

I am very dissapointed and I have to search for another hotel while visiting London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Blakemore_10, Manager at Blakemore Hyde Park, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not comfortable with us this time compared to your previous 2 excellent stays with us. After completing the investigation, we have found that the missing items were never reported. However, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay and would be grateful if you can contact me directly to renew your faith in our hotel.
Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, France
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Some folks would say it's not well located but these are the people who think London is all about Piccadilly and Covent garden. There's so much more to London outside the West End and this hotel is well located to reach many great sights (notting hill, hyde park, kensignton gardens, etc) there are underground stations and bus stops located within walking distance and taxis all around. The hotel is small but has everything you need, the rooms aren't large but well within the standard for London. The service is among the best I have experienced. My rate included a continental breakfast and for a small surcharge I could upgrade to full english breakfast which was excellent. Booking hotels is often hit and miss, the Blakemore was a good choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo