“Initial Impressions Good, Overall Impressions Bad” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Eagle Hotel

Royal Eagle Hotel
Ranked #869 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Cork, Ireland
“Initial Impressions Good, Overall Impressions Bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here with work for 2 nights, and prior to my staying there I checked out the reviews here and was worried that the hotel would be awful.

When I arrive at the hotel, my initial impressions were good. Location was great, nice lobby and very clean. Staff were okay, but not great, helpful when needed but not very speedy in their roles.

When I got to my room my impressions dropped. The room is TINY. Imagine a single bed, then draw a rectangle about 2 feet out from the sides and bottom, and that's the size of the room. You cannot get into the wardrobe properly, because the side locker is in the way, it's all just too small.

The bathroom is nice, although ventilation wasn't fantastic meaning I had a very steamy room after I took a shower (the shower itself is great to be fair).

Noise from other rooms was a problem, I'm a heavy sleeper so didn't stop me sleeping, but prior to this the noise of other TVs, showers & doors closing was very audible, this could prove problematic if you are a light sleeper.

There is a TV in room, decent size and has full access to Freeview, which makes a change from other hotels, so that's a plus. Hotel is advertised as having wifi, they charge £5 per hour or £10 per 24 hours, which is extremely expensive. It also did not reach my room on the third floor, so I didn't get the chance to try and waste my money.

Ultimately it comes down to what you're looking for. The rooms are tiny, it's not very quiet but the location is superb (literally 4 minute stroll from Paddington station) and the price isn't bad. If you're looking for somewhere to just sleep, no issues with this, but don't expect a great experience either.

Room Tip: All rooms are small, wifi did not seem to reach up to the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dulpit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
dudley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights for the london marathon. Beds hard springs gone in mattress and hard pillows. Rude staff and poor breakfast not much choice on offer. Also very noisy hotel with people coming n going in the night.

The second night about 3.30am woke to hear a scatching noise we think it was a mouse under the bed as when we had a good look the next day we could see mouse droppings!!

Paid alot for what you get.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jayne21p

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Guernsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel was booked for the weekend of the London Marathon as I was running. The hotel was clean. I cannot comment on the food because we never ate there. However the room was the smallest double room I have ever seen. The end of the double bed was approx 6 inches from the opposite wall. As the television was on that wall it was impossible to walk around the bed. It was obvious that this was half a room as the room next door (which my daughter occupied) was of a similar size.
For this we were charged well over £120 per night per room (no meals)

I would never recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank George J
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Apparently the price is 'okay' for London - that's the good part of this review. That said, having just come from Australia via Dubai where we stayed in a magnificent and gigantic apartment for far less than the cost of this ridiculously small room which is furnished with 3 tiny beds and not one chair to relax on, a tiny television (where do you get such small TV's) a llift that holds 2 people and even then you have to lug your cases up staircases if you're on the top floor. When you finally get to the top, one has to navigate a warren of poky hallways and fire doors to locate a bedroom. Really! But wait, there's more. . . . . it may be a custom of the English, but this is the first time in 30 years of travelling the world, that I've been asked to settle the account before I've been given the keys to the room. And if you think that once you've finally got your keys after handing over the tarriff, negotiate a treacherous journey to the top of this old building to find your allotted 'kennel', flop on your bed to realise your pillow is like an old pancake and even 3 together is not enough to support your weary head, try calling reception to get a 'real' pillow - oh wait, the phone doesn't work ! Next step, traipse downstairs and ask for a pillow only to be met with a stunned look - the audacity of me, of course I can't have a pillow, the housekeeper's gone home. Okay, then can I speak to the Manager - NO, there is no manager. Never mind, I graciously accept my fate and retreat to my 'bedroom' and use my travel pillow. And the area isn't inspiring either with rundown streetscapes and tacky cafes. I have no idea if you will find better accommodation for your pound but I certainly cannot recommend this sorry excuse for a hotel. Good luck!

Room Tip: I'm not convinced there are any good rooms judging from the one we occupied.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chantereine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I will try to give a balanced opinion, although when I think of the way I was treated, I need to use my own anger management. My friend and I turned up in the hotel happy and in a very good mood. We were surprised that the location was so lovely. That's the positive part we appreciated.

Francesco welcomed us and asked us to complete a deposit form. He did not present himself as a professional staff member, wearing a white sweater. Staff uniforms or some sort of neat looks would be appreciated. I asked why paying a deposit was required since this was not mentioned on the hotel website. I was told 'for the security.' I said what type of security. I was answered 'for the security' - in a very rude manner. Then we were asked to put our credit card details on the small unprofessional form which I said that I was unwilling to do looking for another form of payment. Francesco ignored my request and rudely, raising his voice said 'may I ...' - the rude manner...making me feel really uncomfortable.He presented himself as annoyed and not willing to help the customers.

The next day we had an incident when I locked the safe by accident since it had not been reset after the previous guests. I went to ask for help from different staff members this time explaining that I had all of my credit cards and the passport locked in the safe and that I desperately needed them for that night. They informed me that the only key that was missing was for our safe. They told me I had to wait till the morning. I asked the gentleman at the reception to phone his manager. He reconfirmed that at the weekends there was noone in charge of this hotel. I asked for the name of the manager which I was refused. When I encouraged him to follow the rules of the hotel, I was eventually given the name. That night I lost my tickets for £190 for the musical as when I had to pick them up at the Box Office, I didn't have any ID - having it locked in the safe.

The next morning I went to ask if the maintenance person was at work and the lady told me he starts at 9.30 not realising that it was 10.15 as the time changed. The gentleman was late. I had to wait another hour for the safe to be fixed. Francesco this time looked more professional and took his more desirable attitude. However the entire experienced was very stressful and unfair.

All in all, the hotel is located in a lovely area and the price wasn't too bad. Our shower was broken but it wasn't a big deal to us. However, the entire experience of unprofessionalism and terrible attitude of staff members whose initial response was to argue their point instead of helping me makes this hotel lose its fantastic potential. And making me lose £190 due to the hotel's fault is never a good sign.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank consciousDecisions
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Firstly I booked into shufflesbury premier hotel in Paddington and they gave our room away, they then proceeded to put us in the basement box room it was awlful. After a heated discussion with the receptionist they gave me a refund (still have to wait to check its gone through) and we moved to the royal eagle hotel. The receptionist 'Nash' couldn't have done more to help us, he found us a room with a bath and gave us a discount because it was meant for 3 instead of 2 (weekend away with my mum for mothers day) the room was rather small but suited us fine. We asked if we could upgrade to a slightly bigger room for the next night and he did completely free of charge. This room is very spacious with two double beds. We are so happy with the treatment we received and would definitely recommend staying here. Easy to walk to hyde park or a 5 min taxi ride to Oxford Street. Rooms affordable too. Will definitely stay again. Ask for Nash if you have any problems he is definitely dedicated to making sure his customers are happy. Would advise breakfast elsewhere unless you like bread in different forms.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank xsamrx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

we were moved here as there were problems at the hotel we were booked into. This was of a less standard than where we had booked and it showed. However, the hotel was clean and the linens changed daily.
Breakfast was provided to us as compensation for our move but it was very poor. They only provided bread bread and more bread with a very poor choice of 3 cereals. It would have been nice to have had cheese and yogurt and warm croissants as the ones there were cold and poor quality.

Room Tip: Be aware the rooms are very very small
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple