“Great hotel, location, service etc but you must like a firm mattress” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel The Caesar

Hotel The Caesar
Ranked #289 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Long Ashton
“Great hotel, location, service etc but you must like a firm mattress”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Nice location - 10 mins walk from Paddington in a lovely terraced building. Service was excellent at all times from the warm welcome to departure.

The first room I was in was too close to the lifts which means you get people talking loudly coming in and out but they swiftly moved me to a room further away - nothing was a trouble.

Room service food good - nice 3 bean chilli and fruit salad.

Rooms nicely decorated with all mod cons. Smaller than some places I have stayed at but you don't come to London to spend time in the room. Bathroom very nice with quality toiletries and excellent shower temp/pressure. The towels were huge and soft. i am 7 months pregnant and it makes a change to get a towel that I could wrap all the way around! It is quite pricey so look out for deals.

The only bug bear for me was the bed. The mattress was extra firm in both rooms I saw. I had an extra 2 pillows to try and get comfy but it did not work. I have a bad back so a medium or even soft mattress is better as you need some 'give' so there's not pressure on your joints. I ended up sleeping on the couch which was much better.

But let's be realistic, people have different tastes in mattress and this just was not good for me. If you like a firm bed then this is an excellent hotel to stay at and I would def recommend.

Like other reviewers I would avoid a room near the lift/stairs for peace and quiet and also away from the street as there are refuse collections early on Mon/Wed/Fri mornings. Otherwise - enjoy!

Room Tip: avoid a room near the lift/stairs for peace and quiet and also away from the street as there are ref...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MrsNCFC
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have recommended us to future users.

I am sorry that you found the beds too firm for your liking, but as you state this is a personal preference. The beds are deisgned to accommodate most tastes.

I do hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Lee Melville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights. It was a quick walk from Paddington station, so easy to get to from Heathrow via the Heathrow Express. The staff were very helpful. All requests were promptly addressed. The room was pretty clean and comfortable. It was a bit small but that's the tradeoff for being in such a covenient location, I think. (close to 3 different tube stations)
The one thing that was a negative was that because we were on the ground floor and the windows must have been really thin, we could hear every conversation from people passing by. It was almost like they were in the same room, not kidding you. But it was a quiet enough street that this wasn't too big a problem.

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank gebu
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Thank you for taking time to write your review, we value your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, it is always rewarding for the hotel team to know that our hard work pays off.

We look forward to been able to welcome you again in the future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I've stayed at this hotel several times, on short one-night business trips. I have always found it to be be great. Recently I have been staying at the Park Grand Hotel, which is on the same street as The Caesar, as the rooms are slightly cheaper. I decided to stay at The Caesar on my last business trip.

I was late arriving at the hotel, and the check in staff were friendly and helpful. Augsti was very friendly and gave a great welcome and first impression. When I was shown to my room I was slightly disappointed as it was small, only a shower and no bath, and the window looked out onto a brick wall. The location of my room must have been near to the kitchen as all I could hear was clattering dishes and the cooks yelling at each other. When I realised that this was continue and possibly prevent me from getting a good night's sleep, I asked reception to move rooms. This was agreed and I moved to a larger room on the third floor with a lovely view over Queen's Gardens. This was the kind of room I have stayed in at the hotel before, and cannot fault. The rooms are very clean and modern.

Breakfast was very good, with a wide selection of buffet items, which were all replenished frequently. Although my room rate included a full English breakfast, I was in the breakfast room for about 20 minutes and could not see any other guests having this type of breakfast. The waiting staff were very busy, and I was seated in a corner meaning that it was difficult to get their attention, so I gave up and just ate from the buffet as I was on a schedule to get to my office.

The disappointing thing about this hotel is that it looks like it needs a bit of TLC now. The wallpaper in the corridors is peeling off and the carpets are stained. In my room, the white paint on the walls was scuffed and chipped. The tap on the bathroom sink was loose and not fitted properly. I would not expect to find these things in a four star hotel.

Overall, this is quite a good hotel at a good price, and suits me well for short stays. I will be back and would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank monty69Edinburgh
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you choose to use us over a neighbouring Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay once you were allocated a room more to your liking.

The Hotel has a ongoing upgrading programme of works with all bathrooms currently been replaced. The Corridors are showing some wear and tear and will be attended to in the first quarter of 2012. We are also upgrading the Hotel lifts.

I hope you will continue to use the Caesar Hoetl and look forward to welcoming you back.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed here with our two young boys in a family room. It's a bit small for 4 and the bathroom is very small, but the room is clean with flat tv and good decoration. 5-minute walk from Paddington Station (Heathrow Express). Very friendly personnel. Good breakfast

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank nolanboks
Thank you for taking time to write a review, we value your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here, after coming straight from the airport. We really liked our room, and loved the located - RIGHT beside Hyde Park! The breakfast in the morning is really great. Only disappointment were the unfriendly reception staff. They barely said 4 words when checking in. Otherwise, great.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank travellerk02
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry that you found the reception staff unfriendly, this is a very rare comment indeed as we pride ourself on our staff and service. Your comments will be passed to the team to ensure that our service remains consistant.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Venice, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed at the Caesar for 2 nights recently. It was easy to find, clean and in a convenient location to three different underground stations. It made for easy access to anywhere we wanted to visit around London.

I don't know what Alan C could be referring to but this place is far from a dump. I'm guessing someone has never stayed in a European hotel and we encountered nothing of the sort on our visit.

We paid $200 USD per night and for that price a basic breakfast would have been nice to be included but that was my only gripe.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Davis2001r6
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Thank you for your review, your kind words are very much appreciated.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was my second time at the Caesar. I went to London with my girlfriend and sister. We had a standard double room (a superior room), and my sister had a single room. Our rooms were both on the third floor. Our was right by the elevator, and my sister's room was further down the corridor. The room by the elevator was a bit noisy because of people using the elevator. Also, because our room had a double bed and I was a bit restless at night, my girlfriend couldn't get much sleep. I requested another room with twin beds. Luckily enough, we got the same room where we had stayed on our first time at the Caesar. So, now we know which room to ask when we are staying at the Caesar the next time. This room is just perfect for us. Also, my sister's single room was very good; she told me that she slept really well.

On our first day, the hot water boiler broke down at the hotel, so there was no hot water.
Alternative shower facilities were offered at another hotel across the street, and we were given a key and a room number at the hotel and went to take a shower there. Fortunately, the boiler at the Caesar was fixed the next day, so this was only a minor inconvenience. Still, it would've been nice if we had been offered some compensation by the hotel because of this, for instance a free drink at the bar.

We had a breakfast plan, and I must say that the breakfast buffet at the Caesar is great and the service is impeccable. I would, however, like to point out that it might be a good idea to change the buffet every now and then. The buffet was exactly the same as it was a year ago. Still, excellent breakfast and service! Finally, we ate dinner at the restaurant one evening, and the food was really good.

Many reviewers have complained about the small room sizes, and I think I also wrote about this in my first review. True enough, the rooms are quite small. Then again, when I visit London, I don't really go there to sit in my hotel room. In fact, rather than complaining about the room size, it is much more noteworthy that the Caesar is modern and CLEAN which is something that is not self-evident in (many or maybe most) London hotels. For instance, the other hotel where we went to take a shower when the boiler was broken was simply dreadful; the room smelled of smoking. The rooms at the Caesar are all non-smoking.

Somebody mentioned problems with the TV in their review - that the TV had switched on at night by itself. This happened to us once during our stay, but we didn't mention this to the staff.

The same reviewer (Alan C), who complained about the TV glitch, paints a pretty grim picture of the Caesar. I must say that can't agree with his review at all. True, the hotel can be a bit noisy but nothing compared to some other London hotels. In fact, we once stayed at Hotel 82, which is located in heavily trafficked road (Gloucester Place), and couldn't sleep at all. Compared to that experience, the Caesar is a quiet place.

In short, the Caesar is a great London hotel and located in a very nice and quiet residential street close to Hyde Park, the Paddington Station and Bayswater tube. The staff is friendly, particularly the service staff at the restaurant. (Rytis, in particular, is a nice and friendly guy. So, hotel manager, if you read this, please tell Rytis all the best. In fact, give him a bonus!)

To sum up, we will definitely stay at the Caesar again when we visit London the next time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the elevator(s). If you want a nice view of Queen's Gardens, ask for a room...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Hamppu
Thank you for taking time to write a review, your feedback and comments are welcomed.

I am pleased you chose to return to The Caesar for a 2nd time and that you enjoyed your stay again. Rytis is a valued member of the team and following your review he will be nominated for our employee of the month award.

I wish to offer my personal apologies for the breakdown of the boilers, this was unexpected but as with anything tecnical these things can happen. We took every step possible to ensure this situation was quickly dealt with, including offering shower rooms in another local Hotel, although I understand the Hotel was not to the same standard as The Caesar.

I hope we can welcome you a 3rd time and thank you again for your comments