“lovely stay over”

Ranked #286 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lovendegem, Belgium
“lovely stay over”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We just spent a surprise weekend for my birthday in this hotel in London.
The location was perfect for us. The location is that quiet that we could even leave the window open to sleep.
Reception staff was very kind and we felt comfortable with them. Also, breakfast buffet was nicely prepared and there was a nice range of a bit of everything.
Only minor thing, we know that Belgium is a small country, but we were a bit surprised though that the guy taking care of our luggage wondered where Belgium could be and if we had an enormous long trip travelling to London. But nevertheless we made a good laugh about it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you kindly for taking time to leave your comments, we do value all feedback and it is great when our guests enjoyed their stay.

I hope you had a pleasant "sort" journey back to Belgium and thank you for the free geography lesson to our staff!

I hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Lee Melville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

On my last stay at the end of 2011 i was in a single room; which was small but otherwise excellent.
As this time i was staying for 8 nights i booked a double deluxe room; this had a separate sitting area, large bedroom and bathroom. All spotless on arrival and kept spotless by the cleaning staff.
Having space to spread out was great; there was a desk to sit at to use a laptop and the tv could be seen from the couch and the bed.
The staff here are just as friendly and helpful as on my last visit.
As i said in my previous review this hotel is very well located and is within 15 minutes walk of Paddington Station - making for easy access to Heathrow airport. And there are three tube stations within 10 minutes walk.
I was offered discounts vouchers for breakfast (not sure why) - but used them most days for the excellent continental breakfast in the downstairs dining room.
I highly recommend this hotel and would not stay anywhere else in London.

1 Thank Ross B
Thank you for your review, it is great to see guests returning as this is our biggest complement.

We are delighted that you again enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you a 3rd time.

Toronto
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have not stayed at this hotel yet. However, I sent two emails in two weeks to ask questions about a package they offered online and I have yet to receive a response.

If this is how they treat potential customers, I am concerned about how they will treat customers once they already have their credit card number.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lindsay B
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
I am very sorry to read your comments. The Hotel prides itself on its service and I sorry if you have not had a reply.

On occasions, spam filters etc can block emails and we may not receive them.

Please feel free to contact me directly on leem@derbyhotels.com. where you can be assured of a speedy response.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. Nice clean hotel, staff very helpful . My room was a single, small room but it was comfortable enough. It had a safe, tea/ coffee facilities. My gripe would be only 2 coffee sachets and 2 milks,but I'm sure if I had asked I could have received more.
My shower door was damaged, but was rectified quickly when I brought it to their attention. The free wi-fi wasn't exactly free as you could use it for an hour each day, then you would be charged.
Breakfast wasn't included in the price,but there were plenty of cafés just a short walk away as was Bayswater underground. Didn't try the bar or restaurant so can't comment on them.
An ideal situated hotel to do the usual sight seeing in London.
I would consider staying in this hotel again, should I been back in London.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your feedback, this is appreciated.

I am pleased that the Hotel delivered and that you enjoyed your stay. The wifi service is 100% free and we do not charge for any wifi service. Given that I have had 3 comments on wifi charging in a week, I will be investigating what may be happening here. Any future guests should note that we do not charge for this service.

I do hope that we can welcome you again.

San Isidro, Argentina
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights, amazing service! The food at the restaurant is life changing, absolutely great cheff! The pleace was spotless. The location is so divine. We will come back in our next trip to London.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I am very thankful for your kind review and complements on the Restaurant -the Chef will be pleased.

I do hope that we can welcome you again the future.

anaheim
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Considering the hundreds of other options in London, I can safely say that I won't be returning. It's not that they were horrible, but there were some things that personally I wouldn't want to deal with again. The first, would be the incense in the lobby. When I checked in, it wasn't going, but a couple other times it was and incense makes me ill. Thankfully, once up in the elevator & down my hallway it couldn't be smelled anymore.

I've seen reviews of the single rooms and crossed my fingers I wouldn't be assigned one of the horrible ones. I wasn't, so I was very thankful for that. Though the room seemed recently done or luckily spared the wear and tear rooms can get, the design of it was annoying. There was a step up of about two inches from the bathroom to the main room. Perfect toe stubbing height! The head of the bed was positioned inches from the door. I didn't think anything of it until woken up in the morning by the staff's loud voices and banging around from the hallway and rooms nearby. I could very plainly hear conversations. I tried to go back to sleep, but gave up after about an hour. Then I took the shaking fist photo attached to this review lol I could literally open the door to my room from my bed. So odd.

On the bright side, the staff that I encountered in person were friendly and helpful. Check in was efficient. Wifi was included. My room was wonderfully clean and the bathroom stocked with nice soap, shampoo, body wash, etc. Towels & bedding were of good quality. The TV only had a handful of stations in English & didn't work at first until I realized a cable at the back had come undone. But it did have another handful of stations from a variety of other countries.

1 Thank mrsjuliansark
Thank you for your comments and feedback, we do value these.

I am very sorry and disappointed that you feel you wont return in the future. The incense is a standard of all Derby Hotel Collection Hotels and although not to everyone's taste it is generally well received.

All rooms at the Hotel have a unique layout due to the age of the building and I am sorry if the room your were allocated was not to your liking. Given that you compliment the quality of all other aspects of the Hotel services, I would ask you to give us another opportunity, as I am sure that we would have a room that suits.

Please feel free to contact me directly (leem@derbyhotels,com) and I would be happy to make your arrangements for you.

Lodi, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed overnight before flying to the US.
First thing is location - close to Paddington Station, in traffic 10-15 mins by cab, with no traffic less than 5 mins. The hotel neighbourhood is pleasant and about 10 minutes walk from the shops and restaurants of Queensway. Its also less than 10 minutes walk to hyde Park for excercie opportunities! I did not try the bar or restaurant.
My room was clean and quiet, although I could occasionally hear other room doors closing, they were not loud enough to really disturb. The room was an adequate size but, as with most Central London hotels, is not huge. An improvement would be a safe in the room.
Reception staff were very friendly and welcoming.
The only negative for me is that there is a surcharge for wifi. while I woud be very happy to book this hotel again, I have to share with them that I tend to look for hotels where the wifi is included.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul C
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am confused about your charge for wifi as we offer this service complimentary to all our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.