“Basic, Budget Hotel”

Ranked #997 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Basic, Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed in a family room on the first floor as there were no double rooms available - the accommodation is very basic, beds not very comfortable, however the room was clean and had all the necessities required such as a fridge, tea/coffee facilities and a small flat screen television.
There is no breakfast room in the hotel and breakfast is served in the room from 8am - we had to make an early start so had breakfast in a lovely pub just across the road - The Portman - and there is a great Spanish restaurant just a little further down - Vinoteca - where we had an excellent evening meal.
The hotel is very centrally located, just 5 minutes walk from Marble Arch tube station and ideal base to explore central London - ideal if you are just looking for a bed, considering the extremely high prices of London hotels.

Room Tip: Go for a family room with ensuite facilities
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank welshtraveller2305

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here for one night in a family room with en suite on the fourth floor. The staff were friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel overall is of the standard which I would expect from a 3 star B&B. The only let down was the noise from the traffic but it was in central London after all.
The breakfast of boiled eggs and toast was simple but sufficient and was brought to our room a few minutes after we requested it by calling reception.
We would stay here again, as the location is a couple of minutes walk from Marble Arch tube station.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2011

After traveling around Europe for almost 7 weeks and staying in everything from hostels with shared bathrooms to 4 star hotels, I can assure you this was by far the worst accommodation booked.

On arrival we were told our rooms had been confused & that we would have to have separate rooms, to which we said was fine, however they failed to tell us that one had the toilet & one had the shower - a plastic box, with a portable shower much that of the camping variety, positioned in the front window of the hotel! The sheets were dirty & covered with hair & hair balls.

Upon asking for these to be changed the lady barely apologized and put another sheet on top of the dirty one?! The room was generally unclean but it was far too late in the evening to change hotels. The following day we were asked to move out of our rooms and into another one, when we said we were happy to stay separate we were told we HAD to move. By this stage I had found a condom wrapper & some American coins on the floor at the head of the bed too. Needless to say, we moved!

Spare yourselves and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Littlestar_00

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Dear everyone
I highly recommend you not to book a stay at Boston Court hotel. They have this scam where they make you book and pay a hotel and the night you get there they send you to hammersmith or east London. They promise the hotel is a better standard but it is worse and they refuse to refund any of your expenses. This is what happened when we got there. I had previously spoken with someone called Arahu by both phone and email to confirm my reservation but they didn't have my room anymore but wanted to send me to hammersmith without any reductions and without paying for the cab. They also lie eg. "take a black cab it is cheaper than mini cab", "the hotel is just 10 min by walk away" where it is actually 20 min away in car. And they are really unpolite.

So dear everyone help yourself and book a hotel somewhere else.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Annalaerke
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2010

This is definetely the worst hotel I have ever booked into. It was dirty and smelly but the safety was my biggest concern. All of the fire extinguishers had been marked as condemned but the manager said it was fine.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Romrell
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Avoid this filthy, broken hotel at all costs. It's well-situated and cheap but even so it's very poor value. I stayed one night in a single room. Unfortunately, I paid first and just dumped my bags, not coming back until late at night. That's when I found:
* the basin in my room had been broken off the wall. Obviously this had happened some months before, judging by the dirt embedded in the broken edges. The manager tried to pretend he was surprised when I showed him the next morning.
* the basin hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Perhaps the dirt was holding it in place.
* the 'hot' water was tepid at best, even after running it. It wasn't hot enough to shave in but there was no plug in the basin either so being able to shave was just a crazy dream anyway.
* the toilet hadn't been cleaned. It smelled.
* the toilet roll holder was the metal sort you get in municipal public toilets. The toilet rolls weren't in it.
* the bins hadn't been emptied since the last occupant.
* the last occupant's towel was also still in the room.
* even the kettle had water in it from a previous occupant.
* the bed had only one pillow, no spares anywhere in the room. On investigation, this turned out to be two pillows, so old and flat and compacted that they both fitted into a single pillow-slip with space to spare.
* there was paint on the bed linen. It had obviously been used as dust sheets during decorating, then put back into service as guest bedding.
* the bedside light was broken.
* there was a full size, noisy fridge in the room with nothing in it. I had to unplug it in order to get some sleep.
* the shower, on a different floor, hadn't been cleaned. It contained hair from at least three other people. I had to clean the shower before I could get in it.
* I had to climb up around 80cm just to get into the shower.
* the TV didn't pick up any channels at all. I envy the other reviewers who got 50% reception.
* the room furniture mostly consisted of a battered 'dressing table' (actually a desk), with chunks knocked out of it and burn marks on the surface. There was no chair or stool to sit at the desk.
* the breakfast was one cold, hard-boiled egg, two slices of toast made of cheap, white bread (no option of brown), a slab of jam in a bowl, a plastic cup of cheap and bitter apple juice, and a couple of sachets of coffee and sugar. No teaspoon to make coffee or to eat the egg with. The toast arrived warm, which was a genuine surprise. I timed how long the breakfast took to arrive after me asking for it: thirty-nine minutes.

Never, never stay here. You're just paying for punishment and the experience may well ruin your trip. Nasty.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank cambert
New York City
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Though I travel on a budget, I do expect to stay in hotels that are clean, pleasantly decorated, and well-appointed. I spent an entire week at this hotel, and felt like I was at a youth hostel. Perhaps this is OK for student travelers, but as adult professional, it felt like I was roughing it. Everything was worn out. The bathroom was tiny and not very user friendly. The staff was reasonably nice, but their English wasn't very good, so it wasn't always easy to get the information I needed. I'm fine with a small room, but expect it to be a place I enjoy being when I have to.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business