“NEVER AGAIN :(” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #995 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“NEVER AGAIN :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I booked this hotel for a weekend away. We booked this hotel through 'just in time' hotel booking agency and decided on this hotel as it was central and with a small baby plus pram it meant less tube trips to the places we wanted to visit.
We arrived in London at 9.20am and thought we'd call the hotel to see if it was possible to leave are luggage with them while we spent the day looking at the sights. They said it wasn't a problem.
We arrived at the hotel at 10am where the receptionist was on the phone. She passed me to forms to fill in (still on the phone) When she finally got off the phone, I showed her my confirmation booking form (deposit had been paid) which she then told us, sorry we've no room here!!!!!!!
She said she'll get on the phone to try and re-locate us. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the agency (which weirdly wasn't the one we had the name or number for!???!) blamed the hotel for the mistake and the hotel blamed the agency. The hotel also said that we shouldn't have had a booking as they don't have space for cots (cot required was written on our confirmation letter)
We then spent almost 3 hours asking at every hotel we passed if they had a room for the night. All to no avail:(
The hotel and the agency kept 'promising' they'd sort something out and that they would call me back. I chased and chased them by phoning for most of the day and it wasn't until late afternoon that they called me back to say they found a hotel but it was in Shepherd's Bush area, a 25-30 min road journey away.
By this time are day had been ruined and I was getting quite upset by the whole situation, especially with having a baby to think about too.
We told them that we didn't want the other hotel (they wouldn't give us the name of it until we confirmed we wanted it, again all a bit weird!??!)
So the agency said they would send an email to confirm cancellation and refund our deposit.

Today is Tuesday and I still hadn't had an email. I called the agency number that was on my letter and they had no idea that we didn't stay at the hotel. The said their report back from the hotel was that the booking went ahead and all was fine!! I explained that it wasn't and told her the story. Within an hour, I received an email confirming cancellation and refund. So beware....who was the agency that the hotel was dealing with over the weekend and why oh why would you take a booking and deposit when you no full well you can't accomadate people???
Angry, dissapointed???? You bet I am.
Rant over!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Emma N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed in a family room on the first floor as there were no double rooms available - the accommodation is very basic, beds not very comfortable, however the room was clean and had all the necessities required such as a fridge, tea/coffee facilities and a small flat screen television.
There is no breakfast room in the hotel and breakfast is served in the room from 8am - we had to make an early start so had breakfast in a lovely pub just across the road - The Portman - and there is a great Spanish restaurant just a little further down - Vinoteca - where we had an excellent evening meal.
The hotel is very centrally located, just 5 minutes walk from Marble Arch tube station and ideal base to explore central London - ideal if you are just looking for a bed, considering the extremely high prices of London hotels.

Room Tip: Go for a family room with ensuite facilities
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank welshtraveller2305
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here for one night in a family room with en suite on the fourth floor. The staff were friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel overall is of the standard which I would expect from a 3 star B&B. The only let down was the noise from the traffic but it was in central London after all.
The breakfast of boiled eggs and toast was simple but sufficient and was brought to our room a few minutes after we requested it by calling reception.
We would stay here again, as the location is a couple of minutes walk from Marble Arch tube station.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

After traveling around Europe for almost 7 weeks and staying in everything from hostels with shared bathrooms to 4 star hotels, I can assure you this was by far the worst accommodation booked.

On arrival we were told our rooms had been confused & that we would have to have separate rooms, to which we said was fine, however they failed to tell us that one had the toilet & one had the shower - a plastic box, with a portable shower much that of the camping variety, positioned in the front window of the hotel! The sheets were dirty & covered with hair & hair balls.

Upon asking for these to be changed the lady barely apologized and put another sheet on top of the dirty one?! The room was generally unclean but it was far too late in the evening to change hotels. The following day we were asked to move out of our rooms and into another one, when we said we were happy to stay separate we were told we HAD to move. By this stage I had found a condom wrapper & some American coins on the floor at the head of the bed too. Needless to say, we moved!

Spare yourselves and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Littlestar_00

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Dear everyone
I highly recommend you not to book a stay at Boston Court hotel. They have this scam where they make you book and pay a hotel and the night you get there they send you to hammersmith or east London. They promise the hotel is a better standard but it is worse and they refuse to refund any of your expenses. This is what happened when we got there. I had previously spoken with someone called Arahu by both phone and email to confirm my reservation but they didn't have my room anymore but wanted to send me to hammersmith without any reductions and without paying for the cab. They also lie eg. "take a black cab it is cheaper than mini cab", "the hotel is just 10 min by walk away" where it is actually 20 min away in car. And they are really unpolite.

So dear everyone help yourself and book a hotel somewhere else.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Annalaerke
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

This is definetely the worst hotel I have ever booked into. It was dirty and smelly but the safety was my biggest concern. All of the fire extinguishers had been marked as condemned but the manager said it was fine.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Romrell
cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Avoid this filthy, broken hotel at all costs. It's well-situated and cheap but even so it's very poor value. I stayed one night in a single room. Unfortunately, I paid first and just dumped my bags, not coming back until late at night. That's when I found:
* the basin in my room had been broken off the wall. Obviously this had happened some months before, judging by the dirt embedded in the broken edges. The manager tried to pretend he was surprised when I showed him the next morning.
* the basin hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Perhaps the dirt was holding it in place.
* the 'hot' water was tepid at best, even after running it. It wasn't hot enough to shave in but there was no plug in the basin either so being able to shave was just a crazy dream anyway.
* the toilet hadn't been cleaned. It smelled.
* the toilet roll holder was the metal sort you get in municipal public toilets. The toilet rolls weren't in it.
* the bins hadn't been emptied since the last occupant.
* the last occupant's towel was also still in the room.
* even the kettle had water in it from a previous occupant.
* the bed had only one pillow, no spares anywhere in the room. On investigation, this turned out to be two pillows, so old and flat and compacted that they both fitted into a single pillow-slip with space to spare.
* there was paint on the bed linen. It had obviously been used as dust sheets during decorating, then put back into service as guest bedding.
* the bedside light was broken.
* there was a full size, noisy fridge in the room with nothing in it. I had to unplug it in order to get some sleep.
* the shower, on a different floor, hadn't been cleaned. It contained hair from at least three other people. I had to clean the shower before I could get in it.
* I had to climb up around 80cm just to get into the shower.
* the TV didn't pick up any channels at all. I envy the other reviewers who got 50% reception.
* the room furniture mostly consisted of a battered 'dressing table' (actually a desk), with chunks knocked out of it and burn marks on the surface. There was no chair or stool to sit at the desk.
* the breakfast was one cold, hard-boiled egg, two slices of toast made of cheap, white bread (no option of brown), a slab of jam in a bowl, a plastic cup of cheap and bitter apple juice, and a couple of sachets of coffee and sugar. No teaspoon to make coffee or to eat the egg with. The toast arrived warm, which was a genuine surprise. I timed how long the breakfast took to arrive after me asking for it: thirty-nine minutes.

Never, never stay here. You're just paying for punishment and the experience may well ruin your trip. Nasty.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo