“My stay for a weekend” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #280 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“My stay for a weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I arrived last Sat afternoon with a lot of good aniticipation about this place. I'd seen the photos on the website and was impressed by the rationgs from others. I was staying alone for NFL weekend. When I arrived I was greeted by a friendly face, seemingly polish young lady with a lovely smile. I was then given my key and told it was top floor. There was no lift (neither here nor there for me that one to be honest!). So up I went up lots of winding stairs until I reached my room. I was gutted to find that on going in there was very little room to maneouvre. Just behind the door was the shower cubicle (power shower which wasnt screwed in fully) then the toilet room next to it all in one small square area. Clean enough dont get me wrong but very small. My living room area was a small bedroom area with a single bed just to the left of the door in and a small kitchenette against the right hand side, The tea towel was damp. There was adequate cutlery and cups, plates, pans and a microwave also which was impressive, along with a fridge (which unnervingly leaned forwards as you opened the door!).
On my first night I thought I would go to the local bars and met up with a couple of nice people. Ended up having a few drinks then getting back with a somewhat boozy head and then found myself waking up in the wee small hours with several voicemail messages on my phone. On checking, the hotel had rung me a few times to say if i wasnt back by midnight (around this time) I would be charged a fee (basically a first night fee). I didnt realise I had to be back by any time as I had been told it was a 24 hour reception.
Anyway this didnt materialise but its something to warn others about. Apart from this it was a decent hotel though the wind in the night did rattle my room window so much that I was awake by 4am again the following night.
There is a really nice friendly guy on reception - bald man with a very friendly attitude and very helpful so full marks for this. Area is nice enough to and the Bayswater station is 5 m ins round the corner. Nice bars, lots of shops and if youre up to it a 45 min walk into the heart of London
I wouldnt book here again personally but it was ok

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank djlucjohn1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was my third stay at Vancouver Studios and everything and everyone was just as pleasant and comfortable and welcoming as before. I really wish I had discovered this place 10-15 years ago, I enjoy my time here so much. Arriving from North America, you do show up well before checkin, but freshen up in the ground floor powder room and store your bags in the side office. Go explore for a few hours and return to your private little oasis in London. Each time I get a better rate than advertised, and each time I am somehow upgraded. Though on the small side, the rooms are always sparkling, particularly the bathrooms. This time, the wifi was quite erratic and more off than on, but when the stars were in complete alignment I was able to keep up with the friends back home and upload the day's photos as hoped. The little kitchenette is so convenient. VS is just a six block stroll from both the Bayswater tube station and the Sainsbury and Tesco markets. Stock up on a few essentials and you feel even more like a real Londoner in your personal neighborhood, rather than a tourist. Love love LOVE London and I will certainly stay at Vancouver Studios each and every time in the future.

Room Tip: As evryone notes, this is an old building and the stairs are STEEP. So if you have anything but a sm...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Christine C
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights in early October. Good location in Bayswater very near Hyde Park with lots of shops, restaurants and tube stations nearby. We had a quiet & comfortable double room over the courtyard. The room was small but there was enough space with a table, 2 chairs, kitchette and ensuite bathroom. Kitchette was well equiped so we could prepare breakfast and a few dinners in the room. Also had laundry facilities in the hotel, a nice convenience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Last week, my husband and I spent 5 nights at Vancouver Studios in London. This was the second time I had stayed there, and I wasn't disappointed. The rooms are small---but they are very modern and clean. And--the price is right, especially for the location, which is in Bayswater, close to a tube station. The staff was friendly and helpful. When we got there, our room was on the fourth floor (ground floor is zero, so really the fifth floor) and there's no elevator---and getting our luggage up there was not easy, plus we are 60-something's! So we asked to be moved to a lower floor, which the staff did soon as there was an opening. So, if you have much luggage or don't like to climb stairs, ask for a room on a lower floor. Would definitely stay there again. One downside---no a/c!! Both times I have stayed there the weather was cool enough to not need it. Oh, and the rooms all have little kitchenettes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Ditto on all the good things reviewers have said. Some more useful info:

Very short walks to Bayswater and Queensway stations. They are very different lines and connections so you can go just about anywhere. We walked from Paddington station to VS's with wheeled luggage. It's about 15 minutes. Easy. Everyone is doing it. Take Heathrow Express from Heathrow to Paddington and you can get to the hotel in less than 1 hour. Within a 10 minute walk you can eat just about any world cuisine you can think of. Reasonable prices for London. No need for cabs. Loads of people out at night. Very safe.

Damien and his staff are truly friendly and go out of their way to help you. Everyone smiles!

Room Tip: Rooms can be small outside U.S. I'm a bit claustrophobic, and as we were staying for a week, so...
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

A boutique hotel in a nice area of London. We had a studio with kitchenette facilities. Friendly helpful staff and a quaint charm. The owners have maintained the original ambience as much as possible. There is a period lounge and a restful garden you can enjoy if smokers aren't present. The only downside on the premises is that that the stairs are steep and narrow and there is no lift so carrying up large case is a bit of a mission. The hotel is close to underground stations and attractions like Kensington Gardens and Palace, the Albert memorial, the Royal Albert Hall, the Science Museum and Portabello Market

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this charming hotel for 1 night for her birthday. The hotel is based minutes from Bayswater underground so is very convenient to get to central locations in London. The room was quiet, bright and clean and was very well appointed with modern fittings while still maintaining the classic old charm of the hotel.
We spent some time in the garden the next morning and were entertained by the activities of the golden coloured house cat who was up to mischief!
We would definitely visit again the next time we are staying in London.