“Clean, comfortable, and friendly place.”
Review of Vancouver Studios

Vancouver Studios
Ranked #376 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Enjoyed our stay here. Staff was wonderful, friendly. Room was an adequate size, bathroom was on the smallish size, especially if you're 6'4". Bed was comfortable. Construction workers working on a building behind us were a timely group of folks as they started promptly in the morning but also ended late afternoon so not really a problem. Neighbor was wonderful! From the Prince Edward Pub to the shwarma's on Queenswater! Bayswater tube stop is about a 5 min walk and the Queensway tube stop a couple of more mins further. Walking distance to Kennsington Gardens and Holland Park as well as a couple of high streets. Though a bit of a distance from major attractions, the tube got us there easily and we were able to get a feel for more of London then just tourist sights. Clean, comfortable, and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bucko51

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am spending four months studying in London, and upon arrival did not have housing. I arrived to stay at Vancouver studios with two girls I had yet to meet that I would be living with. We booked the room for a week, expecting to have been moving into an apartment through a real estate company after that. THe studios were perfect- we each had a bed- bed, pullout couch, and cot. And a small kitchenette so that we didn't need to go out for every meal. They left us cookies, hot choclate, and tea free of charge. They cleaned the room and made the beds daily. They even washed our dishes for us! Very clean. The people who worked at the front desk were INCREDIBLY NICE. And available at all times. When we were short for a cab- one of them lent us money to pay!! On the seventh night we last minute found out it was unable for us to move into our appartment- and we ran back to the hotel hoping there was a room available. There wasn't, but they found us other AMAZING accomodation for a simular price and allowed us to hold our luggage there. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone in a heart beat- a wonderful location, atmosphere, safe feeling, and price. I liked it better then the appartment I'm living in currently! Such sweet people who work there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank gingerabroad
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Pros:
Superb location: 5 mins walk to Bayswater tube station and 5 more to Notting Hill Gate and Queensway; plenty of excellent pubs and restaurants nearby; a handful of food shops to stock up on provisions in the vicinity; the Whiteleys department store just round the corner; within easy walking distance of Portobello Road, Kensington Gardens and a number of museums).

The building itself: quaint listed building in a very classy part of town; high ceilings, sash windows; eclectic furniture and antiques; lovely wood flooring in the lobby. A small common room and modest but leafy garden are available for guests to unwind in.

Room: small but nicely decorated whose modest proportions were offset by the very high ceilings. Ours was equipped with a small flat screen TV (some have DVD players and films can be rented from the office), a balcony overlooking Prince's Square which we would have used had the weather been nicer, a small, clean and fully equipped kitchenette, a min-safe in the cupboard and hairdryer in the bathroom, and tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits replenished daily. It was a very quiet hotel when we were there and we slept well barring Saturday night when we were awoken by some early morning revellers on the street outside. Single and triple rooms are also available as are connecting rooms for smaller or larger parties.

Staff: helpful and smiley, they provided some good recommendations. There's the possibility to leave luggage in the office if you arrive early or leave late.

Price: excellent value for money.

Cons:
No lifts in this 5-storey building and the stairs are steep and narrow, as are the corridors which makes navigating them with suitcases tricky; patchy wifi which didn't always work in our room; our room wasn't the biggest and the bathroom was tight without much place to put things; no bath (there is only one room with a bath, all others come with showers, not that we minded); fire doors did tend to bang so might be more a problem in peak season.

Tips: ask for a lower floor room if you do have heavy cases or can't negotiate stairs. The rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the small garden and are quieter. There are numerous eateries in the neighbourhood including the very good Hereford Road restaurant (you need to book).

Summary: not the place to go if you're travelling with huge cases, have a steep stair phobia and would prefer generous living spaces, but perfect for anyone looking for a classy, quirky and very reasonably priced pied à terre in London. Highly recommend and will be staying here again next time we visit London.

Room Tip: Rooms facing behind the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wucie
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have stayed here a few times and find it very convenient. The latest stay was the week beginning 18 November 2013. I have stayed in the basement and on the other floors as well. Wi-Fi is a bit erratic in the basement, but my last stay was fine. Lots of shops; Sainsburys, Tesco, Whiteleys shopping centre etc. So you will be spoilt for choice.

Public transport is plentiful with the 70 bus to South Kensington a stroll away and Queensgate and Bayswater tube stations about 5min walk away. The self catering apartments allows you to rustle up a meal if you want to or you could use the many restaurants and pubs in the area.

There is no lift so if you have lots of luggage request a lower floor and the rooms facing the courtyard are quieter as noticed by others. For the best rate contact Vancouver Studios directly as you get a lower rate if they have your contact details on the system.

The house keeping was a bit slack as I had to ask for bathroom amenities on more than one occasion. The daily replenishment of tea, coffee, hot chocolate did make up for the blemishes.

Had some stuff delivered to the hotel and it was given to me upon my arrival. Friendly front of house staff. Will stay there again

Room Tip: Contact hotel directly for best rate. Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank thaanur
Reviewed 30 November 2013

In oktober I stayed here for the third time in a single studio. I choose Vancouver Studios because I have not managed to find a nicer studio in a nice area for a better price. The single studio is not big, and I would prefer a bathroom instead of a small basin in the toilet and a separate shower cubicle in the hallway (or in the room), but the shower is very comfy and that goes for the bed as well. I also like the small table and of course the kitchen. It makes it easy to have meals in your room. The studio is clean, quite soundproof (although the street can be a bit noisy) and the staff is really friendly. Last two times I stayed here there were some problems with the free wifi, but resetting it solved it. If you don't like stairs, this is not the place for you, or ask for a room on a low floor. The location is just perfect, with two underground stations and Notting hill and Hyde park nearby. There are plenty nice restaurants and cafes in the neighbourhood (I like Wesbourne grove). All in all I like this place and will stay here again for my next visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dutchlassie
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been staying at VS for the last 8 years and always enjoy my stay. The rooms are on the small side, but that is true of most places in London. It is always clean and pleasant. The staff is fabulous and I love Zues the resident cat that is always super friendly and gives me my cat fix while away from home. The kitchenette is key with multiple shops around to purchase the basic for the room. Location is close to both the central an circle/ district lines as well as the park. Stairs are the only draw back so ask for a lower floor room!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelingfreak
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here 3 nights in the apartment building, separate to the main hotel. Firstly, excellent service at check in, prompt professional and allowed us in early, check out was just as good. The room itself (Piccadilly) was much larger than expected, well appointed with a comfy sofa bed, full kitchen with accessories, stylish bathroom, washer/dryer & comfortable main bed. The room was exactly as described. The location is excellent, at the end of the street the #23 bus passes through the best parts of London and there is a Sainsbury and Starbucks plus many restaurants nearby. The main st is also less than 5 mins, Hyde Park is close too. All round it's a good find for a stay, I would stay again for sure

• Stayed: November 2013