“Disappointed...”

Ranked #933 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed...”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I booked online - economy single room at £59 per night for 3 nights. I made the mistake of booking first, and then i started reading some reviews for the hotel afterwards, the more recent ones were better so I thought it would be ok, my main reason for booking this hotel was because it was en-suite.
I assumed that the breakfast was included in the price but discovered when I arrived that it would cost £8 more, so I just bought food when i went out.
I booked in, was given a card key to a room on the second floor and told to take the lift to the 1st floor and then I had to walk up the other half a flight of stairs with my luggage to find my room...

The single room is very small, a bed, a small round table with phone and kettle etc and a wardrobe with 2 hangers in it and a TV.
I ended up using ear plugs to block out the noise at night, mostly from the people next door, not really the hotels fault, but the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything. Some kind of alarm went off two nights at 4am, the matress was too big for the bed, there are wires producing and holes in the walls, one of the shower head attachments was faulty, it was loose, the shower head needed cleaned, there was a nasty sewage smell from the drain on the floor in the bathroom and some kind of bug appeared from the drain on my last night, and that is why i am giving this hotel a poor raiting.
Good points... The view from my room (haha) have a look at the pictures! Seriously, the good points are...
It is close to the Gloucester tube station (shops) and about 20 min away from the V&A Museum and other attractions in that area.
They did empty my bin every day and change the 1 towel they supply, gave the room a quick clean, although the bedding wasn't changed at all, i slept on top of the covers because it was so hot anyway. I already knew the air conditioning wasn't working from the website.
You get quite a nice mini soap, shower gel and shampoo + toilet roll is supplied.
So basically it's not for the faint hearted, but maybe with a little bit more work it will improve?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Cat J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Window handle broken, bed broken, shower not working properly,curtain half undone, no air conditioner at more than 30degrees centigrade temperature. Thanks for providing the rooms with portable heater , Yup just what we need in a really hot summer..NOT!!!! Will never ever stay there again. Oh, and the lift... It's like a death trap...When we asked the reception if we can have a fan in our room, he said it's not his responsibility ..thanks!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Jimmate

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel 4 nights. With over 30 degrees outdoor and with no aircondition that was availabil, we had 4 hot nights. We asked if we could get at fan - but the answer was no! So we bougth one ourselves. There was coming leaking water on the roof - from the bath above.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Monika M
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Central location and very easy to find - off to a good start. However, on arrival at Reception, it seems that the staff speak barely any English! Although greeted with a smile, I was referred to a guest information sheet, by pointing and pen-tapping. Really not good, especially on Reception!

Room and en-suite were both beautifully clean. Bathroom obviously been recently refurbished. Modern and spacious, however could have done with a bath mat and more towels. I did ask for for towels, but these never arrived. I am not sure the woman at the desk understood me...
Room spacious, although sparsely furnished. ot sure if renovation completed however, so may be that more furniture to be added?

Excellent night's sleep, really comfortable bed. Unfortauntely, we were woken very early by what sounded like kitchen staff, chatting loudly and generally clattering around. be aware of your guests!

Overall, a good stay in a hotel that has great potential. In desperate need of some staff training, however!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

One half of the B&B has been tastefully renovated. The other half was being done. The double room we occupied for one night was quite spacious. There was a very large shower with hot water and a good pressure. The bathroom fittings were very good except there was little pressure on the hand basin water. This was possibly a good idea because the basin was rather small and shallow and any pressure on the water would have bounced right out of the bowl. There was an air con thermostat in the room, but it didn't work. This was maybe due to the renovation work in other parts of the building. There was no air con in the reception area and the outside temperature was 25C+ so really it was a little uncomfortable. The mattress on the bed was extremely hard. I was suffering from a sore hip so this caused enough pain to interrupt my sleep!. There was a large window at the back of the hotel which we had to open due to lack of air con. Unfortunately the lock on it didn't work and the room was accessible via the scaffolding up the back of the building. There were no notices indication Emergency Procedures in case of a fire etc. I am surprised, therefore, that the local Authorities allowed the hotel to accept guests.

Room Tip: When the work is completed I would return to this establishment. We were thankful that our window wa...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We arrived here late one Friday eve, we were dealt with quickly as had paid in advance. We did have a shock when we went through first door to find a bomb sight, there was no plaster on walls or carpet. It did seem they were in process of making the décor better. the noise from next door was loud during night, The staff seemed friendly but clueless. They did manage to throw one of my wives contact lens out whilst tidying the bathroom, when this was mentioned they were not bothered and didn't even say sorry. this was mentioned as we left, the only thing they were worried about was charging us for 99 pence for having a coffee we didn't even have. I soon told them what they could do with that. wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Jim S
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Room given was very small and noisy as the walls are only plaster board thick. The room has recently been re decorated but be careful of the electrical sockets if you have kids as our room had gaps around the socket that a child could easily push something into and a disaster waiting to happen. Lots of building work still going on so very noisy with banging and drilling from 7am. Only partially carpeted leaving a set of stairs we had to use very dangerous, also don't lean against the walls going down stairs or your best suit/dress will be covered in plaster dust and if you suffer from a chest complaint avoid as the dust in the air will do you no good whats over.
Fire alarm sounded twice just after 9am, we think it was to wake people up so the cleaners could get in as there was nothing saying anywhere that a fire alarm test would be sounded. The windows still haven't been finished as you can see pieces of timber hanging outside the window with what appears to be a foam filler oozing out and solidifying itself to it. The bed is very low and twice i hit my knee on the bedstead and the bed itself was very uncomfortable and the pillows just as bad. One word i would use for this place, AVOID!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple