“the most advisable cheap option for central london”

Cromwell Crown Hotel
Ranked #949 of 1,089 Hotels in London
venezia
“the most advisable cheap option for central london”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

I would advise this hotel to all those who wish to stay in central london not pretending spacious accomodation.
Friendly 24 hours reception, wi-fi and wide breakfast room.

• Liked — friendliness
  • Disliked — fruit juices
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansund
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

The worst shower / bathroom I have ever seen, and the staff was nothing else but rude!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sweeper123

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cardiff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2008

I needed to stay 1 night in London for an audition I had the following morning. I booked this hotel about a week in advance via activehotels.com

When I got off the tube at gloucester road I began to make my way towards the hotel, passing many other hotels on the way that all looked great. I really thought I'd done well, as I'd only paid £27 for a singe en-suite room.

When I got outside the hotel I began to think "oh my god". The actuall sign for the hotel appears to be rotting. When I went into the reception, I was immediately hit by the smell of vomit. Also the the building seemed to be in a very bad state of repair, wall paper peeling off, filthy carpet etc. I then had to pay the £27 again! I was staying on the 5th floor, the lift (which looked like it was going to break at anyminute) took me to the 4th floor. The lift was also very disgusting, black floor (black as in dirt) and walls. When I got out of the list the corridors were also horrible, great chunks of walls and doors missing. Everything very dirty etc. I then opened the door to the stairs, where I found a very rough looking woman lying down across the stairs smoking a cigarette!

When I got to my room I was appalled. It stank of vomit and smoke. The carpets were dirty (very dirty), all the walls were very dirty and the curtains were just horrible. Outside my window was the roof, looking out of the window I could see a syringe. Nice! My bedding had what appeared to be a large blood stain on it. Only 1 pillow.

The bathroom floor tyles were all chipped and cracked. In the morning I discovered that my basin didn't even work and my shower only had a little trickle, I had to wait about 20mins just for some warm trickle!

I didn't sleep well, the walls were so thin I could hear next doors occupant snoring as if he/she/it was in my room.

Lots of very strange people staying in the hotel, the types you wouldn't like to meet in a dark corner alone! Most seemed like they were from a lunatic assylum, probably what staying more than 1 night in that place does to you.

I couldn't bring myself to go for the breakfast, probably managed to spare myself ecoli or salmanela. (apologies for the poor spelling!) I got out as quickly as I could the that morning. My skin is still crawling from the memory of that vile place.

This is definately not a hotel, it is a very very very dodgy hostel full of very dodgy people. This place should be knocked down.

Please don't stay here! I can't bear to think of anyone staying here. Don't make the terrible mistake I did!

• Liked — Getting as far away as possible!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
23 Thank OHBrowne
Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

It was the worst hotel Ive ever stayed at! It doesnt even deserve the title hotel, its a BAD hostel! 10 rooms at each floor, with ONE shower and ONE toilets to share for us all!!! Everything was dirty, the toilet, shower, walls, floor... It was old and poor. We had ordered a tripleroom, but we had to switch rooms 3 times before they got us the right one. The breakfast was a joke. One plate of Corn Flakes, warm milk, a cup of coffee and a slice of toast?? Thats supposed to be the breakfast of a 2* hotel??? I wouldnt go back here even if I got paid good money for it, no way. The location was good, but by far not good enough to stand the crappy standard of this "hotel". The staff spoke very poor english and seemed not interested in the gusts at all.
So - DONT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Didnt like ONE single thing!
  • Disliked — Everything! From we walked into the "lobby" till we left!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
21 Thank tihauga
Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

This was possibly the worst experience I have ever had at an hotel! My friend booked us a night on their website as it was only a few tube stops away from Olympia (The Yoga Show) and we were looking for reasonably priced accommodation. From the first moment of entering the reception we were regretting our booking! It looked more like a brothel than a hotel. Money was demanded up front before you could even see your room. The carpet in the hall ways hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner for about 20 years which added to the dirty smell in the air. We got stuck in the lift on our way to our room, sounded the alarm but no-one gave a toss or came to help us, luckily it moved again! Our room was just a disgrace. The base of one of the single beds looked like either somone had spilt their dinner on it or worse. The curtains were hanging off the pole. The bathroom was vile, stains all in the bath. There was dirty underwear out side the window on a ledge, and the bed springs were sticking out of the mattress which really could have caused an injury if you slept on them. After a "discussion" with the unfriendly, unhelpful, non english speaking staff, we were given the key to another room but on entering, realised it was even more disgusting!! Strange slightly mental looking people wandering up and down the corridors - it was a wonder I got a minutes sleep! EVEN IF YOU'RE DESPERATE, DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Liked — Leaving in the morning
  • Disliked — Absolutely everything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
11 Thank BookieMidlands
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

We booked this hotel via Lastminute.com. It was advertised as a 2* hotel. Having further investigated what you would expect from a 2* hotel this place was worlds away from that. We arrived at reception and as other reviews have stated, the staff barely spoke english. Having already booked and paid in full via Lastminute, the staff initially requested payment again. Eventually they gave us our keys and we went to our room. We entered the room, to find that 2 of the three windows were covered with ripped sheets (not curtains), the other had curtains that did not meet. We had a family room, which consisted of 2 single and one double bed. The beds were in a very poor state of repair and the bedding looked very grotty. The bathroom was very dirty. Tiles were broken or missing throughout. The floor, bath, sink & toilet were filthy and to top everything there was a can of beer on one corner of the bath!! Dispite having prepaid for this room, there was no way that we (my husband, and 2 children and I) could possibly sleep in this room, our skin was crawling simply walking in and looking at the facilities. We were lucky enough to find alternative accomodation down the road, but would have happily travelled home late at night rather than actually trying to sleep in this room. I too, am disgusted that this standard of accomodation can be provided in London, and promoted by booking agents. I am so sorry for the families that have not had the opportunity to go elsewhere and have had to spend their holiday in this dire accommodation.

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank bcrm21
Anderson,SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

Ok to start off with, I booked online to get a good rate. Throw that out the window. They DO NOT accept online booking other than reserving rooms. You still have to pay at the hotel. Then in the listings it never states that the WC is shared. Oh my, I have had better experiences and bathrooms at a campground. A double room consists of 3 twin mattresses lined up in a row. Very meager accomidations. This hotel is a good deal if you are traveling alone or if you want that hostel feel vacation. But I DO NOT reccommend this hotel for any couples. Staff is as unhelpful as possible and your towels get changed maybe every 3 days. STAY AWAY!!

• Liked — The location was ok, but the Holiday Inn down the road was better.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple