“It is what it is”

Ranked #661 of 1,088 Hotels in London
New York
“It is what it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

We spent eight nights at the Falcon on our first trip to London in February 2011 and all I can say about it is summed up in the title of this review. It is not a terrible place, but you do get what you pay for at this hotel. The rooms are laughably small and the walls are quite literally paper-thin. When the maid in the next room was vacuuming she kept bumping the wall causing my bed to shake. The man in the next room was snoring, his wife clearing her throat all night, and we heard all this like it was happening in our room. The breakfast was average and since we stayed 8 nights and the menu was exactly the same every day, it did get rather boring. Oh, and don't bother using your "do not disturb" tags outside the door - the maids pretty much ignore them, a fact I discovered as I came out of the phone-booth-sized bathroom naked one morning to find the maid bustling about, even though along with the tag there were many other obvious indications that the room was not empty. Even when she saw I was there, she tried to keep cleaning - I had to ask her to leave and come back after I got dressed. Finally, there is very little room to unpack your luggage. The closet will hold about 4 items, and there are no dressers; so expect to live out of your bags for the duration. The beds are old, not too comfy, the pillows are flat and old, and the rooms are terribly dated. There is "no smoking" in the hotel, but a chain-smoking gentleman kept standing on the back porch and leaving the door wide open, so the whole hotel smelled of smoke anyway, including our room. Having said all that, if you can grin and bear it, the location of this hotel is fantastic, very close to the train to the airport and major underground and bus routes, lots of restaurants and shops; and the desk staff are also mostly very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SGill1125

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

I havent yet gone to stay at the Falcon, will be there next summer however they are so polite and responsive for every query I made before booking that i felt i need to say thanks. They had no obligation towards me i had not booked there yet though they answered every email and question. not the case with other hotels. well done and thanks, will continue this review after my stay

Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank odettefalzon
New zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Falcon for three nights in May 2010. We were thrilled to have been able to secure accommodation at the Falcon after reading such glowing reviews online. However, we were very disappointed at the room we were given near the top of the building. The room was tiny and the decor was very dated which was acceptable but the room was also not particularly clean with marks and holes on the sheets, dusty and mould in the shower (the bathroom was incidentally tiny and could barely fit my husband who is 6'1)!! The bed was uncomfortable and creaky so we didn't have a very good sleep but we decided to stay the three nights as the location near Paddington station was fantastic and perfect for all the tours and sightseeing we wanted to do whilst in London. We also had a very limited budget so couldn't afford to pay more than the 80 or so pounds per night. However we did wonder if we might have been better off just paying 20 pounds each for a backpacker/hostel. The breakfast was fine but make sure you get there early as there are limited seats and two mornings we had to share tables with others while other people hovered waiting at the door for a seat. We were grateful for the cooked breakfast though and the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful when asking directions and advice. I would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it to others but for some budget travellers it might be acceptable - especially if the rooms were a bit cleaner.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

My husband and I booked to stay at the Falcon Hotel for four nights in March 2011. On arriving the decor was old and the room was very small, we could hardly fit in the bathroom as it was more like a tiny closet. We decided to spend the night regardless but checked out early the next morning. The fire alarm went off, the matress was so soft that it almost swallowed us and the hotel was very noisy. Although breakfast was average we had a terrible nights stay and would recommend this hotel only to back packers. However the staff were accommodating in providing us a full refund for our remaining stay and by allowing us tonuse their Internet facalities and printer to book alternative accommodation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaJohannesburg
seekingahotel, Owner at Falcon Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
We recall these guests very well and we are sorry they decided to leave such a negative review for us. Yes, our building is old, in fact so old it is listed by the English Heritage as a building of historical importance, not much we can do about its age we regret. But we appreciate the guest was thankful of us helping them to find alternative accommodation. What they did not say is that they paid 4 times the price and took a room at Hilton round the corner from us and we know that for a fact because we booked it for them!!! The moral of story is the old saying that if you can afford it then fine but you always get what you pay for. Our moto is we do not even pretend to be Hilton but we are at fraction of the price, as (if not more) clean, comfortable and caring which we call our 3 cees!... and we remain proud of it!
Nechanice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

To keep it short: Staff was great, room was clean and actually bigger than I expected due to the previous reviews! We were pleased by the breakfast, were asked every morning if we´d like an English breakfast. Had a choice of fried or scrambled eggs. I felt comfortable in our room. The only thing what we didn´t enjoy as much was very soft double bed. Perhaps my back is old :-)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Hoveski
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

The hotel has basic facilities and the rooms are plain but sufficient. The thing that makes this hotel stand out is the close proximity to Paddington Station and the fantastic staff.
From the moment I arrived the staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. Bizarrely, i had a room with a shower but my toilet (just for my room) was along the hall and I had a key for it! Odd but I only wanted a cheap room to sleep in for a few nights.
If you are looking for luxury, don't stay here but if you are looking for somewhere budget to sleep with helpful staff, near Paddington, it's worth it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank stay2
doncaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights. The hotel is very welcoming and is nice and warm and cosy. The room was cleaned very well each day and the owner was very friendly, always a smile and a hello. The key to this hotel is the location, close to all transport and there are many restuarants and shops very close by. All in all a good value hotel considering its location to central londonand transport. The only thing I may say is that the breakfast is quite basic but cosidering the price I cant complain.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends