“A reasonably priced, perfectly adequate Hotel for a short stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oxford Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #938 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cornwall
“A reasonably priced, perfectly adequate Hotel for a short stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed here in a single room for three nights; the receptionist greeted me in a friendly manner and set the tone for all the staff I met - they were unfailingly courteous and helpful. My room was perfectly adequate for a short stay; the bed was a 'small' double size; the linen was fresh and clean and although I found the mattress a little too firm for my liking and also would have preferred a duvet to sheets and blankets, I slept well enough; earplugs are recommended, as the hotel plumbing is rather noisy and the sound-proofing between the floors and rooms reflects the fact that this is not a modern building. The bathroom was small, but clean and adequate. My room was serviced daily and the towels replaced with fresh laundered ones. The breakfast room is in the basement and the breakfast itself was rudimentary, but as there was a 'fridge, a kettle and a microwave oven provided in my room, with local shops and cafés nearby, that did not bother me. One criticism I do have is that the telephones in the guest rooms only receive incoming calls. There is a payphone in the corridor, but this was out of order when I was there; to compensate for this, the receptionist offered me the free use of the telephone in his area - for local calls only. For the price I was charged, I thought this hotel was very reasonable; it is very conveniently situated - a few minutes walk from Paddington mainline railway station, Lancaster Gate Tube station and the London 'bus routes. I would certainly stay here again; before I left, I asked to see a double room in case I wish to bring my Wife with me next time; I was courteously shown one of the larger rooms which looked to me to be perfectly adequate for a couple.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Jim N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I would NEVER stay at this place. The staff and the management are a bunch of crooks. I made reservations way ahead of time. Then two days prior to my stay I called to confirm my stay but the clerk said he could not find my reservations in their system. I had to call other places to reserve a room. After I did, I called again but this time they so "happened" to find my reservation. I tried to explain that I already made reservations elsewhere but they would not budge at all. They would not admit to their mistake and charged me for one night stay. I asked to speak to the manager but he was even more rude than the clerk. Their motto is the hotel is always right... screw the customer. Do yourselves a favor and avoid this place. There are many other decent budge London hotels!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Phil B

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I travelled with my family. Unfortunately we choose the oxford hotel. I small lobby greets you along with a rude manager and then u haul your own suitcase through a narrow staircase. The breakfast is in the stuffy basement and very very basic. The rooms are also very small. I will never recomend it to anyone.However a big thumbs up for the next door coffee shop which serves great breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank sreeIndia
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

This hotel is definitely not luxurious. It is basic, but that is reflected in the price. The rooms are small, but the bed linen is clean! This is not the place for a romantic break away - if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the room! The location is great - a few minutes walk from Lancaster Gate tube - and the area has some pretty good places to eat if you don't want to venture into the centre. One point though - the breakfast at the Oxford is awful! If you're lucky you get a sachet of instant coffee to add water to, a croissant and a roll. There will be jam and butter, but possibly not much else. It is also served in a VERY small room so get there early! Mind you, as long as you are not looking forward to a great breakfast, and you're prepared to stay in basic accommodation, I would still recommend the Oxford. I've stayed there twice now and would do so again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and had lovely views over the tops of the nearby houses. It was gorgeous...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CI5_GIrl
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel twice first time in January 2009 and then in December 2010. Both times we were 4 persons and we stayed in the same room, room was a very good size and it didn't feel crowded at all. Rooms were clean and tidy, we had a fridge and microwave in the room which is very convenient.
Location is perfect, very central, and right around the corner from Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate Tube Station.
Breakfast was good and eat as much as you like. They also offer cooked english breakfast for a small fee.
Staff are very nice and helpful.
Place is a bit old and no elevator but Great value for money, If I had to go back to London I'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank FabsM
Beira, Mozambique
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

We had such a nice stay at the Oxford. Our room was ready really early, so we could check in about three hours ahead of check in time. About 1km's walk from the station. Rooms were nice and big compared to other budget hotels in London. The beds were fine, the pillows were just soooo hard! Guys at front door were nice, there was always someone there,even really late at night. We stayed right at the top so we had a nice view as well, will really go back to this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuzelMiddleton
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Stayed there for a one night trip to London to see a show and the sights. It's in a great position, next to Hyde Park and close to the Lancaster Gate tube on the Central Line. Reception staff are incredibly friendly, and I found the room to be very clean. TV reception is terrible - but we weren't in London to watch the TV, so that's no big problem. Didn't stay for breakfast as the breakfast room is tiny and in the basement and was very full when we poked our head round the door!

I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple