“three star hotel??”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #917 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 December 2009

We were very disappointed.The room was so small that two people could not move between the beds at the same time. No chair, just a tiny table between the beds. Nowhere to keep your two small suitcases except under the beds - very difficult to take anything out. Admittedly the bathroom was nice and clean. The "breakfast-room" was a catastrophy: no matter what time you tried to get in, there were no free tables or seats. Clearly, you were not meant to have the breakfast you had paid for in advance. The location, of course, was fine, with the Tube station around the corner and great restaurants with good value for money in the neighbourhood. This was not a three star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sarvikalle
There are newer reviews for The Oxford Hotel

Reviewed 4 December 2009

We stayed for four nights. My criteria for London hotels are location and price - we don't expect to spend too much time in there! Our normal hotel was booked so we decided on The Oxford - £70 per night for a double (including breakfast) in a hotel at Lancaster Gate.

Our room was on the third floor - no lift and the stairs are quite steep. Not a problem for us but if you have limited mobility it's probably not the hotel for you. We'd reserved a double but ended up with a family room. It was nice and big with a corner with kettle (and tea, coffee, etc.), fridge (with milk!) and a microwave. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate.

The breakfast room is in the basement and is quite smallI although we never had a problem getting a seat even on the two nights where the hotel was full. The breakfast choices are cereal and toast. Nothing particularly special but it's rare to find breakfast included in room rates in LondonI and in any case, we don't really need a cooked breakfast every morning.

I really think this hotel is very good value, especially with the in-room microwave and fridge. We've found a new favourite hotel in London!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2009

After reading the negative reviews I was expecting something tragic. But once I got there, I was pleasantly surprised with what I got.

The single room that I booked wasn't a shoebox. There were 2 single beds joined together and there was plenty of room to move about. Room was well equipped with a TV, hairdryer, ketlle, microwave oven with coffee and tea,etc..It was clean and comfortable. Plenty of power points to charge your electrical stuffs so that's a plus point as well. Hotel is really quiet so I slept well..

Breakfast is pretty basic (cereat. toast and jam/butter). Could be improvised in the future though.

The bathroom is really tiny. So those on the plus sized category might not like this. But water heater was functioning, and it was clean so it was actually alright.

Please note that there are no elevators here, so it's not disabled-people friendly, nor it is suited for the elderlies. Carrying huge bags will be tiring..Stairs are a little steep but I was still okay with it. The hotel allows the guests to leave their bags after checking out if their flight is still hours away so guests can still roam around for last minute shopping and get the bags later. No lockers though, just be sure to lock your bags securely.

Location would this hotel's main advantage. Just 3 minutes walk from Lancaster Gate tube station. And 5 minutes walk from Queensway and Bayswater tube station. Food is not a problem as there are plenty of shops/restaurants/cafes around. There's no wifi in this room, but there's a cyber cafe nearby if you need to use the internet.

With 55 pounds per night, I think I got a good deal.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Khairene
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I had a single room in the basement for which I paid 55 pounds per night, including tax. As accommodations in London go, this seemed pretty cheap to me.
Good points: Cheap (to me anyway), private washroom (not a given in London), ensuite microwave, coffee maker and mini-fridge, fairly quiet, reasonably centrally located (near both Lancaster Gate and Paddington stations, laundromat, internet cafe and small market to get fresh fruit all less than a block away.

Not-so-good points: Breakfast (free cold breakfast was included, but I didn’t find it very appealing. After the first week, I stopped bothering with it, just kept bananas, milk and some granola bars in my room), bathroom in particular was small, stairs were steep and narrow( I have size ten feet, and if I put my toe against the base of the next step, a good 2 inches of my heel would be hanging out over the edge of the previous step) Oh, and no elevator.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely, all I need is a clean quiet space to lay my head at night, I wish the breakfast was a little more appealing, but the microwave and fridge were more than ample compensation.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank glenmd
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel on October 2nd 2009 with our employees visiting London with quite a large group of 18 persons. As there weren't enough rooms available on the main premises 3 persons of us had to stay at another location of this hotel in the same street.
We booked 3 rooms for 4 persons and 2 for 3. All rooms were quite small and suffocating, some of us tried to open windows but did not succeed. We were glad a fan brought some coolness in the night otherwise we would not have been able to sleep because of the heat. We must add that the beds were quite good. In the morning the breakfast was really very poor. The breakfast area was in the basement and although there were 2 rooms these were too small and some people had to sit with others otherwise they would have to wait because there were too many people. The breakfast was the most poor I ever had in London. The only food available consisted of white and brown slices of bread with some awful tasting cheese and cups with jam. You had to toast the sandwiches yourself so everybody was queing for the toaster which was quite annoying. We didn't even get fresh coffee but powder coffee which added to our annoyment. We could not even get an egg or other things to put on the bread. So the breakfast was terrible we had to go elsewhere to at least get a nice fresh cup of coffee. I would certainly not recommend this hotel for large groups or to anybody for that matter. I would strongly advise the management of this hotel to at least change their breakfast policy because everybody present was complaining a lot.

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank IloveLondon2
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We just returned from a stay in London at this wonderful little hotel. The room was very nice and clean. We made full use of the hot pot for coffee, and the microwave. The en suite bathroom was perfectly adequate. The location is perfect. A lovely area with many nearby restaurants, cafes and pubs. The short walk to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens made for some wonderful afternoons in the outdoors. The nearby Paddington underground and rail station made getting around a snap. We would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a great value in London.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The Hotel has a great location - close to Lancaster Gate tube, Paddington Station and numerous shops and restaurants. It's also very close to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.
Our room (for 4) was clean and neat and suffiently spacious. The en suite was more than adequate and not as tiny as some we saw during our trip. The room included a small fridge and microwave so we didn't have to eat out every night.
Service was great - the staff were friendly and always helpful.
The price was good and included continental breakfast.
Altogether, I thoroughly recommend this hotel - it certainly contributed to our enjoyment of London.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family