“What would you expect from a cheap hotel?”

West Cromwell Hotel
Ranked #865 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Very small rooms. The lift was so small that it could only fit a person, so carrying heavy luggages up the stairs may be troublesome. Breakfast was of very cheap quality. Cheap cereals, some ham and cheese slices and toast. However, for £35 a night, there's not much to expect in the first place. Not suitable for families, but maybe for budget travellers.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Booked on basis of price, so I shouldn't have expected much. A single room on almost the top floor, it was too warm, I had to have the window open, facing the A4 Cromwell Rd not enjoyable! Something in the room didn't help my breathing, my problem not theirs I guess. It was clean, had basic things supplied, the shower pressure was good and the water hot. Reception staff did what they needed, but isn't life boring!! Breakfast very basic, I struggle without marmalade! So I struggled. The coffee seemed Expresso strength in a coffee pot, a bit powerful. All in all, basic, a handy room for ONE night, I was woken up by people, I thought, coming into my room, very noisy so soundproofing no good as flagged up by others. Fire escape route by stairs or onto the roof, so if that is a concern don't come to the top floor.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Will never stay here again.

After exiting the lift into the hallway, I could audibly hear a lady in the throws of passion, with her boyfriend panting along quite loudly. The bed was banging against the wall, and this was REALLY loud for all to hear. Walking through the door, which slammed shut behind me, the noise suddenly stopped as they realized they may have been heard.

Thoroughly awkward.

The room was dirty, with old fixtures and fittings, and smelt of something foul. Can't place what it was.

Pros: Tesco 2 minutes away.
Cons: Everything else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Well what do you expect from a 2 Star Hotel for £35 a night? The answer: Nothing
I stayed here because I flew into London Gatwick and was stupid enough to leave my wallet in the airplane. Therefore my pre booked 4 Star Hotel of which I am a Gold Member would not let me stay there because I had no Credit Card to show and the room was £315 – Intercontinental Zero points.
Well done on my side. How do you survive 2 days of London with only a Passport and £120 emergency cash in the bag.
£40 Gatwick Express Train
£18 Tube ticket (2 day pass)
£35 Hotel breakfast included but not yet tested in this review
£98 Gone

£22 Left for 2 days for food, coffee, etc. (lucky I was on a business trip).

• The rooms are absolutely clean and furnished with some spartanic but useful furniture
• They let me pay in cash
• I was able to check in immediately at 10am because of my situation to make some phone calls
• They gave me wifi for free again because of my situation
• And they helped me to survive on my £22 budget with a lot of tips

I am absolutely wowed by this behaviour and the friendliness of the staff here.

A big thank you to these great people at the West Cromwell Hotel. I wouldn’t have made it without you.
Yes I am completely biased but in a situation like this you learn that luxury is not everything.

5 STARS

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This hotel is situated accross the road from Gloucester Road underground station so the location is very good and very convenient. Although the hotel faces a busy road the rooms are reasonably quiet.
They are also quite well appointed. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel does however have a number of stairs leading to some rooms so people with mobility problems or who have a lot of luggage could be challenged.
There is a Waitrose super market accross the road which opens at 7:30am from which breakfast items can be purchased at much cheaper prices than in a restaurant.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that does not face Gloucester Road
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner during November 2012 for two nights.

We paid £75/night which is very reasonable for London.

Pros:
- free tea and coffee
- walking distance to Earl's Court tube stn
- tv, hair dryer, shampoo etc all included
- lift available
- supermarkets close-by

Cons:
- needed a thorough clean ( but not terrible condition)
- overall some TLC required (broken tiles, fitting, etc)
- pillows like slices of bread
- very thin walls
- disappointing breakfast range

Overall, this hotel is exactly what it says on the tin: a two star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 26 October 2012

For London it may be a reasonable price, however it is very basic. I had a tiny room in the attic, you walked and were immediately faced with the toilet door, there was a small single bed and bedside table, and the pillows were about as thick as a laptop. Breakfast was very basic too, cereal and toast, cheese and cold meat.

As the heading says, don't expect too much, but it was warm, reasonably clean and hot showers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business