“Cheap and cheerful”

Griffin House Hotel
Ranked #925 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Booked for one night and the only drawback was the radiator had been left on a high setting so the ground floor room had got a bit too hot and I didn't feel safe enough to leave a window open as it didn't appear to have a security catch.

Otherwise the room was very clean, the ensuite bathroom small but very nicely fitted and for the overall price and location this was an excellent find and I'd definitely recommend it and stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 November 2013

It was a nice place that was close enough to the tube and in a nice safe neighborhood. The local main strip wasn't very nice because of all of the hooka bars, but if you cut behind the main street, there was a beautiful private garden and a handful of armed guards that made it feel safe even at night.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The location was perfect, just a short walk from marble arch tube station, Barclays bikes right next door and felt very safe walking around there at night! The staff were helpful and the rooms basic but clean and surprisingly spacious! The shower left a lot to be desired! Breakfast was inclusive, till late morning and a big variety! Very impressed! Only downfalls were the stairs! Request lower level if like me you don't understand the meaning of traveling light as the stairs are steep and numerous and there is no porter, not even an offer of assistance! Overall a very good stay and will be going back when in London :)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bell-wanderlust
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I had to go to a weekend seminar and just needed somewhere close by that didn't cost a fortune - this was at the cheaper end of the scale but looked nicer than others near Paddington. The area is lovely, and I really enjoyed the short walk to Lancaster Gate in the morning along the quiet streets of Surrey Gardens and past the Hyde Park Stables.

I received a very friendly welcome when I got in late at night and they were kind enough to give me extra towels (I later realised I had missed the towel on my bed). The breakfast started a bit late for me at 8.30am but when I appeared early at 8.15 they cooked me eggs regardless.

It was extremely clean and I slept in room 14 (sounds like others have had an awful experience in the shared loo) but they said I wasn't sharing it with anyone. I know this is true because I blotted my lipstick in the morning and dropped the tissue in the loo (didn't want to flush one sheet away) and it was still there in the evening. It is nicer to have your own loo but you know when booking that this is the situation and that is what makes it cheaper.

So all in all, I had a good stay here, it suited me well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A friend of mine stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. On the second night I went to visit her in her hotel ( I live a 15 min walk away), I'm British and have lived in London for 10 years.

Upon arrival I was told I was not allowed to go to her room as no visitors were allowed after 9.30 pm?! In all my years of staying in hotels I have never heard this before. I tried to reassure the porter I had no interest in staying there as I was a local...but to no avail.

DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL! Really weird

Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Jane R
Reviewed 7 August 2013

On arrival and shown our room (downstairs on a narrow, twisty stairway) to a triple room which would barely accommodate a single human being, we said we could not possibly stay 2 nights here (1 night was pre-pd & 2nd pd on arrival). We were told there was no refund and we had to live with it, but after more complaining were offered 1 extra room on main floor (for the 70 yr olds) at no cost for 1 night and adult son slept downstairs. This was much more like a Hostel! There was no phone service, inadequate towels, ok juice, etc for breakfast but a disaster. After having traveled 2 wks (Ireland/England) this was a terrible way to end our last nights. However, Richard did arrange car transport from there to the airport direct - which helped.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My single room was tiny and initially I was a bit taken aback by that. But! The staff are incredibly nice and helpful and very sweet - all of them - and they really go beyond what they need to to help you. The place is *very* clean and they have a surprisingly nice breakfast. And the location is hard to beat. All round a good deal made special by the awesome staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo