“Very good hotel in a great location”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #120 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This is a very good hotel in a great location for shopping or theatre visits. Rooms can be a little small but are well equipped and do have everything you need with good bathrooms. The upper floors give you great views. Staff are exceptional and nothing is too much trouble for them especially concierge and reception. Breakfasts are good if a little crowded at weekends and the theatre menu in the evening for an early meal is well priced. The dinner menu is limited even if quality is good and as is usual in city hotels the wine list is expensive for very ordinary wine. However a great central location means huge eating out choices from Michel line stars to small more reasonable restaurants of all types. Its great location means fabulous shopping and theatres are all within walking distance and the tube for further afield is very close. Overall a highly recommended hotel that we use frequently.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you very much for you great review. I am delighted that you had such a good service from reception and Concierge.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We enjoyed an overnight stay at The Cavendish on Jermyn Street this weekend and had the best night's sleep! I'm tempted to call the hotel and ask for the name of the bed we slept on-it was that good!The Classic room was well presented and comfortable, the hotel is extremely well located and staff were friendly and helpful throughout. My boyfriend was particularly impressed with the four sausages he received with his full English breakfast, although he had ordered two different types! He was only slightly sullen that they forgot his toast, but despite this, they still get 5/5. Overall, I can't fault it and would happily stay again and recommend to friends and family staying in the capital.

2 Thank THubbs
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Thank you very much for your excellent review. Regarding the beds we actually have 2 different types, if you could let me know the room number that you were in I would be happy to get you the details of the bed that you slept on. My address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com.

Manchester
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the Cavendish for 2 nights as part of my husbands birthday celebrations. It's really close to Green Park tube station and you can have a good look at The Ritz on the way past if it's your first trip to London! Our room was on the 11th floor so had a good view over London. Bed was so comfortable it was hard to drag ourselves out of it in the morning. The room was a good size and very clean with everything we needed. The staff are keen to please and they even sent up a chocolate cake for my husband's birthday which I thought was lovely.

Have to say though the drinks in bar are rather expensive. We would definitely stay at the hotel on our next visit to London but maybe avoid the bar.

Altogether thoroughly recommend The Cavendish!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor.
1 Thank tigers50
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted that you had such a good experience with all aspects of the hotel.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions and the service is absolutely fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble and the hotel is in a fantastic location. The rooms are always clean and very nice. The food in the restaurant is amazing and the bar has a great selection of cocktails. I would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted that you think we have the best service in London as we work very hard with the team as we strive to achieve the best service.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon to The Cavendish London.

Norway
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cavendish for the 5th time when going to London recently for the Boxing Day sales. We love the location; walking distance to "everything", and with all the traditional shirtmaker stores down Jermyn street and the faboulous Fortnum & Mason just across the street.

The building itself is not much from the outside, but on the inside you will find both public areas and rooms of excellent standard. A taste of affordable luxury. We usually stay in a classic double room. It's on the smaller side, but modern and has everything we need for a few days stay.

The breakfast buffet is very good and the service is quick and attentive. The hotel probably had more guests than usual between Christmas and New Year's Eve, and we had to wait 10-15 minutes to be seated the 3 mornings we were there. We relaxed in the nearby lounge and didn't mind.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review and delighted that you keep returning and that you had a good stay on your last visit.

I hope that I can welcome you back on your next stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My husband, adult son and I had two king executive rooms at this hotel. The rooms were tastefully decorated, the bathrooms modern and spotlessly clean. We liked the Nespresso coffee maker in the room. As first time travellers to London, we appreciated being picked up in the hotel limo. Breakfast was easily the best of all the hotels we stayed in on this trip. We also had an excellent dinner one night in the restaurant. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. The staff were friendly and efficient. Ricky in the breakfast room deserves a mention, a friendly, personable young man who provided excellent service and took a genuine interest in us. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, we could see the London Eye from our window.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank treasureParis
Thank you very much for your great review. I am delighted that you had such a good stay and that you thought the breakfast was the best that you had on your trip, I have passed that on to the chef. I have also passed on your excellent comments about Ricky who is easily one of our stars on the breakfast team.

Brighton
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This was my 2nd stay at The Cavendish, located just off Piccadilly right behind Fortnum and Mason. My friends and I took advantage of a special overnight offer and booked a couple of rooms (including breakfast) for the Monday before Christmas so we could treat ourselves to an early evening meal at the Wolsley in Piccadilly and then do the Christmas Lights and Shop Windows along Bond Street, Oxford Street, Regents Street and the Arcades around St James's. The hotel reception was delightfully decorated for Christmas which added to the magic of the festive season.
The hotel has its own underground car park. The reception staff were most welcoming. My room was not ready, I had arrived in torrential rain a couple of hours early, but the receptionist did tell me that if I upgraded (an extra £20) a room was available immediately. I did not feel pressured to upgrade but I took advantage and found that I had a medium size, well appointed room on an upper floor with a super panoramic view of London ranging from the Post Office Tower , St Paul's, The City with it skyscrapers, The London Wheel, Big Ben and The Houses of Parliament. The red sunrise over London the following morning was spectacular . have to say that my friend who did not upgrade regretted it when they saw my room and the view.
Breakfast was included in our deal but the full English does cost £22 odd if you have to pay separately. The choice, freshness and quality of the breakfast buffet was excellent - oh the joys of being very naughty with a full English and then going back for top up. The usual cereals, fresh fruit (salad), cheeses, cold meat cuts, smoked salmon, croissants, rolls, jams, pastries were also available if you fancy a lighter breakfast. Plenty of choice of fruit juices, tea and coffee were to hand. You could have eggs cooked to order and if you fancy a kipper they were on the menu too. The only slightly downside of our breakfast was that the hotel was extremely busy and we had to be seated in a relatively cold over-flow room. Nice room but not as nice as the main restaurant with it wide airy windows looking out on to Jermyn Street and Fortnum and Mason .
The rooms were very quiet and the beds comfy, There was a iron and ironing board in the wardrobe as was an umbrella which you could borrow or buy. There are in room tea and coffee facilities (with yummy Duchy biscuits). On my previous visit, I had a great walk in shower (plenty of room for 2 of you) and no bath, but this time I had a bath with an overhead shower. Only because of my arithitic legs I much prefer the walk in shower option than the bath one.
This hotel is well located in a lovely area of London, with characterful shops, buildings and private galleries (e.g. Christies), Green Park, Picadilly Circus, St James's Palace, Bond Street, Regent Street,, Royal Academy and theatreland just minutes walking distance. The immediate area outside the hotel is surprisingly peaceful given its proximity to the humdrum of the tourist locations nearby. The hotel lounges and bar areas are very comfortable and relaxing.
A most enjoyable short stay. We will certainly return if the opportunity for another good deal arises.

Room Tip: If you want London views, ask for a room on one of the top floors on the side with views of St Pauls...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank marinablue
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted that you had such a good experience and that you really enjoyed the breakfast. We ensure that all of our breakfast produce is Locally and UK sourced to ensure the best possible quality.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.