The Cavendish London
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$212
  • Room Service
US$269
US$200
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$114
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$120
US$218
US$191
galahotels.com
4,218 results
All reviewsjermyn streetfortnum masongreen parkgreat locationpiccadilly circuspre theatre dinnerroyal academyclassic roomsuperior roombuckingham palacewest endlondon eyehigh floorbottle of champagnebirthday cardlondon skylineleicester square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A comfortable hotel at an affordable price, The Cavendish is well situated in an attractive part of London, very handy for galleries, restaurants and theatres. Our room was comfortable and spacious and the staff were incredibly helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Judy K,

Thank you very much for your excellent review and great comments about the team, I know that they will all really appreciate it. Thank you for letting other travellers know about our great location and how close we are to so many attractions.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here last week on business. I chose it as it was easy to walk to my offices. The staff where incredibly friendly and very efficient . My only grip would be that as I arrived late I decided on room service . The food was not that great . In fairness I was given every opportunity to complain but chose not to . Partly as the staff in room service etc where very efficient and friendly and I wasn't expecting cordon Bleu . The location is excellent I only had a classic room but it was very comfy . The white company products were a nice touch and the room was spotless . Would I stay here again definitely it's less than 20o yards to the back Doors of Fortnum's one of my favourite stores. If you are using the tube , green park was easier and less busy than Piccadilly Circus . 5 minute walk if that from green park station.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lilybuttons

Dear Lilybuttons,

Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted that you had such a great stay. Thank you for your great comments about the team, I know that they will all really appreciate it and for letting other travellers know about our great location. I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your room service food and it would be very useful for me to get your feedback on the food so that I can follow it up with Nitin our Head Chef. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is an excellent hotel, with attentive and knowledgeable staff. BUT, when we entered our room 319, I should have walked right out again and requested another. Wife stopped me and we remained. MY TIP TO ANY READER IS THIS. If you are allocated a room with the last two digits of 01 or 19 then be aware that the lift shaft is in your room. There are three lifts and the staff will inform you that the two outer lifts that go through rooms 01 and 19 are turned off overnight and only the centre lift is used. But when asked what the strange metallic noises were in our room during the night we got no valid explanation.
The restaurant serves excellent food and breakfast was very good and cooked to perfection.
The facilities in the room were good.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms with the last two digits of 01 or 19.
1  Thank nejbiii

Dear nejbiii,

Thank you very much for your great review and comments about the team as I know that they will all really appreciate as they make every effort to ensure our guests have a great stay in London. Nitin our Head Chef and his team will also be very happy with your comments about breakfast. I am sorry to hear that you had a disturbed sleep from the lift noise, I can assure that this is not always the case and we have had our lift company look at that immediately to ensure that our guests are not disturbed during their stay.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked this hotel initially for it's location. I was treating my wife for her 60th Birthday to tea at the Ritz and also to the theatre at night and this hotel was ideally situated for both of these which were in easy walking distance.When we arrived at 10:30 am we were able to go to our room immediately which was a pleasant surprise. Also there was a lovely cake and flowers waiting for us in the room. The room was very clean and tidy and was very welcoming. The staff were very courteous helpful and polite. We had an evening meal before going to the theatre which, although my sirloin steak was a touch tough, was well presented and enjoyable.Overall the stay at this hotel was very enjoyable and relaxing and would recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in London.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a better room if you want a bit more space.
1  Thank BrentMitchell52

Dear BrentMitchell52,

Thank you very much for your excellent review and thank you for letting us celebrate you Wife's 60th Birthday with you and I hope she had a great time. We are very lucky to have the team that we do and I know that they will be very appreciative of your comments.

Thank you for your recommendation that is really appreciated and we hope that we can welcome you back for your next family celebration.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I love the location of this hotel, the beds are comfortable and the view from our room on the 14th floor was amazing. Plus, in general, it's quiet.

However there are a few reasons why I was less than happy with my stay and I promise I am not being a grumpy reviewer who only sees the bad things.

If you are staying for any length of time, be prepared not to have too much space. Most of the hanging space in the wardrobe is taken up with the ironing board and if there are two of you there isn't much space in the bathroom either. They could easily have put up a shelf or two. On the subject of bathrooms, the water pressure in the shower was so feeble, I couldn't even shampoo and rinse my hair (thick and long) twice - a little frustrating. There was also no extractor fan, nor window, so ventilation was zilch in the bathroom. And given the windows in the bedroom didn't open either (and I know it's a safety precaution but a little would be nice) it was less than desirable.

On one occasion at 4 am during our stay, the deafening fire alarm sounded for several seconds. Not knowing what was going on, we got up and then went back to bed, as it had stopped, so we assumed it had been an error. Having been deeply asleep, we actually didn't question it and just wanted to get back to sleep as we were attending a conference and were tired. The next morning we received a note through the door apologising and explaining that the evacuation - which we knew nothing about - had been necessary. I'm sorry, but this just didn't go down too well with us at all, knowing we could have burnt in our beds on the 14th floor and nobody checking on us, and I do think the Manager should have gone to much greater efforts a) to ensure all guests were actually evacuated and accounted for, if necessary, and b) to make up for having woken everybody up so rudely in the event that it was a technical error (which it was). It's no harm to have this happen, but at least carry out the procedure thoroughly. Flowers, chocolate, a personal call, whatever. They should have done FAR more.

There is a note beside the bed saying that a turndown service is available on request and to ring Housekeeping to request it. One early evening, we did this and the Housekeeping lady said she didn't know what we meant and that the concept was something she was not familiar with!

On the day of checkout I asked if I could check out a little late, the lady on reception confirmed that they were not fully booked and indeed they did not need our room, but wanted to charge me extra for this after 1 pm (I had asked for 1.30 pm). Unimpressed they would not let me stay the extra 30 minutes without charge when they don't even need the room. Added to this, a very persistent lady who didn't understand much English came to service the room before 9 am on the final day, I told her I was leaving today but would hopefully do so later than normal checkout time. She then came back 2 hours later, not waiting for me to actually answer the door but just walking in on me, ready to service the room. Aren't there any channels of communication in this place?

We didn't take full advantage of the facilities so I don't really want to comment on them (although we had tried the pre-theatre menu on a previous stay in London, not as a guest - it was ok, but service very slow and the atmosphere in the restaurant a little frosty).

So would I stay here again? I'm not sure. I wanted to like it as it is in a really good location but you don't live in the view, so I think I'd rather have a bit more space and feel comfortable with staff who communicate and put the comfort and safety of their guests first. I really didn't feel this was the case with The Cavendish.

3  Thank MrsSparty

Dear MrsSparty,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback from your most recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your room and especially that you felt the water pressure was to low and that your extractor was not working. If you would be able to let me know the room number that you stayed in I will be able to get my maintenance team to have a look immediately as either should not be the case, and I can only apologies for this. Thank you for feedback about the incident with housekeeping and reception as well and this feedback has been passed on to both teams as a training priority, as this is not the level of service we should be delivering.

Our guests safety is our number one focus and as a management team we practice our fire evacuation every 2 weeks, to ensure that in the event of our guests being in any danger we all know the procedure to work with our team and the Fire Department to ensure our guests are safely out of the hotel. While safety is our number 1 priority we also do not want to disturb our guests during there stay if we can handle a situation without doing so and still ensure their safety at all times.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London to show you our true service levels.