“lovely hotel, friendly helpful staff, yummy breakfasts.”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #108 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel, friendly helpful staff, yummy breakfasts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

really lovely hotel, very clean, comfortable,friendly and helpful staff. bedroom/bathroom clean , tidy and very comfortable. breakfast was yummy and so much to choose from. we also had evening snack in the lounge again, friendly, helpful staff and yummy. car park was very good value for money. near to some of the best shops in London. loved our stay would highly recommend and would book again.

Room Tip: clean, friendly and very comfortable. yummy breakfasts...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear katelmiles,

Thank you very much for your great review. We are very lucky to have the team that we do, who put in so much effort to ensure every guests has a great time in London and I know the whole team are delighted with your comments.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Varese, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that this hotel over the years has always been a favourite that I love to come back to. We first stayed there over new year's eve some years ago before it changed management and it was great then, but now is even better!

The hotel's locaton is absolutely perfect, distancing just 3-5 minutes wak from piccadilly in the heart of London but in a quieter and chic side street (Jermyn Street), which has many nice boutiques (especially for men, but some women's wear as well and a cute cheese store). There are also a few little restaurants close by as well as a Tesco Metro which is open 24 hours. Fortnum and mason is just across the street and is perfect for chic shopping and afternoon cream teas.

My husband and I stayed in the Cavendish hotel over the Easter holidays and first if all, when we arrived we were told that our room had had a "complimentary upgrade" from classic to executive room! so we were very happy. The staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to help you (and don't expect tips either, which is very refreshing... although I do tip when I think it's appropriate!).

When we arrived in our room we were ecstatic - it was huge! the bed was enormous (think super king size, like two queen sized beds put together in one huge bed) and the bathroom was very large and super-clean with both a large shower and bath tub, which we enjoyed immensely. The rooms are cleaned twice a day by very polite staff, just remember to put your "do not disturb" sign outside the door in the late afternoon, just in case ;)

The breakfast was included in our holiday package (try to get it included, as it's quite pricy at £18 per person), and was delicious, with all sorts of fruit, english and continental breakfast as well as pancakes waffles etc.

Our room also had a nespresso machine with free coffee, as well as a kettle with tea and biscuits and a free bottle of water, which was a great touch. We also had a big TV and BOSE music system which was also very nice.

The bed was super comfortable, and the room was just perfect.

The hotel also sent us a "pre-visit" email asking if we required anything upon our arrival (you can ask for things like champagne etc in the room if you like), and also sent us a thank you email after our stay which I thought were both nice touches and great customer service.

There is free wifi without access code thoughout the hotel.

There are only a few "slight negatives" I would say but only to be really, really fussy:

1) The hotel prices are quite high. We were lucky to have an Easter break package which was much cheaper than usual, but if not we could not afford to stay there. I think if they reduced the prices of their "classic rooms" regularly that would be great marketing for them;

2) the noise of the air con outside the building is quite loud. Not sure what can be done about this, but I'm fussy about having constant noise whilst I sleep;

3) the water pressure in the shower wasn't amazing, but the shower is fine otherwise. I tried putting it on the jet setting but the spread of the jet is too narrow to use it for the whole duration of the shower;

4) the hair dryer only works if you constantly keep your finger on the "on" button, which is a little tedious when trying to style your hair.

I would definitely recommend staying here and if you can get a cheaper package, it's definitely worth it, most of all for the great service and perfect location.

Room Tip: try to look out for package deals to save money
1 Thank Luisa B
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Luisa B,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are delighted that we are your choice of hotel in London and that you really liked your upgrade. Thank you for some of your feedback, as it is really important to us and the only way that we can improve. It will be great if you can let me know your room number that you stayed in and I will have the team look at the shower pressure as it should be quite strong, my direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com. We do have promotions running about 7 times a year on our website and a very special discount to all members of our database about 4 times a year as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

York, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just returned from a weekend at The Cavendish and what can I say? The whole experience was simply wonderful from start to finish. The staff were first class and nothing was too much trouble for them and with it being my birthday they made an extra effort by giving me a beautiful birthday cake which was really appreciated. The situation of the hotel is perfect and the room had a fabulous panoramic view of London - the only negative and its a very small negative was some noise from a club not far from the hotel when they were leaving in the early hours and horns of taxis, however, this certainly did not spoil our stay! A plus was being able to have breakfast delivered to the room - absolutely perfect and superbly delivered! The second day we went to the breakfast room and this was excellent - the choices were incredible and delicious! I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends or family and will certainly be returning - for me its a perfect location, perfect staff, rooms and service - all making it a pefect birthday weekend. A big thank you to all the staff at the Cavendish - keep up the good work!! Julie & Alf (York)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if possilbe
1 Thank UKBlonde007
Dear UKBlonde007,

Thank you very much for your brilliant review and for letting us celebrate your birthday with you. I know that the whole team will be delighted when they read your review, especially Nitin our Head Chef with your comments about breakfast as he is continuously working on improving the selection and we have a few new items coming in the next few weeks.

We hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to London.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very good hotel placed in Mayfair, close to Piccadilly Circus, restaurants, theatres, Soho, Buckingham
Palace and Leicester Sq. i.e., everything a tourist need in London is around. It's a fair cost for all those kind of stuffs.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear fik74,

Thank you very much for your great review and for letting other travellers know about our great location and how close we are to so many of London's attractions.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

northerner abroad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My first visit to The Cavendish was perfect. The staff were all,without exception, wonderful. Everything was.
This was my fourth visit in the last couple of years and nothing has lived up to the first. Nobody has ever acknowledged that I've ever been there before - reception staff are adequate but not really friendly (on checkout I was told my perfume was 'very strong' but that it was 'quite nice' - said wihen she saw my somewhat horrified expression).
I got a cheap(ish) deal so expected a small room - it was - but it had no view whatsoever, no opening window, loud AC, awful acoustics (plumbing noises from very early in the morning, banging doors likewise, next door's television, very near the lifts) and it looked a little bit tired (scuffs on skirtings and wallpaper).
The bed was fab. The curtains very nice and they kept out the light in the morning.
I would say avoid room 402 unless you don't mind the above and/or get a really good deal. I would suggest requesting a high floor facing the opposite direction and paying more for a bigger room - especially if travelling as a couple. They now have free wifi, but it didn't work on my iPad.
The lounge bar was empty when I visited it apart from a couple of business men so there was no atmosphere. It's in dire need of redecoration although the furniture is comfortable. I was facing the restaurant and had to watch one of the serving staff and the man dealing with bookings flirting openly with each other - was a tad unprofessional I thought in front of a guest.
The concierge staff were as good as ever - got me a taxi immediately and knew exactly where my restaurant was
Tried the new bar when I returned but was ignored so gave up.
I love the location of this hotel and I will go back purely because of that first perfect visit - I want that experience again.

Room Tip: Not room 402. Higher up and facing the Eye - also bigger and with bath as well as shower. Plus away...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Finoula
Dear Finoula,

Thank you very much for your review and your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your previous stays have not lived up to your first stay that you had with us and that you feel the hotel needs a bit of TLC. We are always doing work on the rooms and public areas to ensure that we maintain our standards and I will be having a look at room 402 with my Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers to ensure that we get the room to the standard that it should be. It would be great if you could let me know the dates of your stay that would be very useful to follow up with the team some of the service shortfalls that you experienced and I can make sure that we get these aspects right. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

We hope that we can welcome you back for your 5th stay and make it as special as your 1st.

Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in April on our babymoon. From the moment we arrived I was impressed. I travel to and stay in London a lot for business and this was my first trip to the cavendish and not my last.
All staff were lovely and super efficient and we were given an absolutely gorgeous room - 1015 - with fabulous views. White Company products in the room too, lovely!
The location is great, opposite Fortnum & Mason and near Green Park and Piccadilly Tube stations.
We used room service and the restaurant for breakfast and both options were fab, the OJ and pastries were lovely.
I would absolutely recommend the Cavendish and their staff. It stands up against many of the 5*s I have stayed at in London but offers better value.
Perfect!

Room Tip: Room 1015 has FABULOUS views!
Dear Vixster722,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are humbled that you have compared us to many 5 star hotels in London. Our team are the key to our service levels as we are a 4 star hotels they all strive to deliver a 5 star service and ensure that our guests have a great stay in London.

We are delighted that you have said you will return and we hope we can welcome you back for both work and pleasure.

Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Second time at the Cavendish and really enjoyed the central location and friendliness of staff, we will stay again but next time perhaps on a higher floor, we were on level Five but higher ones must get better views and be quieter. Liked the Nespresso machine, makes a change having a decent cup of coffee in the room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gables28,

Thank you for your great review and we are delighted that we are your choice of hotel in London. The next time you book directly with the hotel please let us know your preference to be on a high floor and we will do our best to ensure you get a room with a great view over London.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.