“Not if you have kids”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #126 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Not a single room in this hotel has two beds; only queen and king beds available. If you have young kids and don't want to co-sleep, your only option is a superior room with a cot. Classic rooms are too small to fit cots.

The kicker? The Cavendish charges £40 per cot per night! I found this ridiculous given cot service is usually complimentary in the U.S.

This is not the only 4-star hotel in Mayfair, better options are out there if you have kids and want to stay in the very central Mayfair neighborhood.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Rohk19,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback, we do have many rooms with 2 separate beds however not in our lowest room category only in our Superior and Executive rooms. We do charge £40 for an extra bed in the room but do not charge for a baby cot. That must have been an error on our side for which I can only apologies and If you can please let me know the date of your stay and the name of the booking and I I will get that refunded immediately. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit of London.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

When I next return to London (which I hope to do often), this is the only hotel I plan to book. The location was perfect, in a safe location within walking distance of all of the sites my family wanted to see. The staff was exceptionally helpful, even assisting to facilitate the repair of a flat tire on our rental car. The room and amenities were spotless. We had lunch in the hotel restaurant and I must say that the pan seared salmon dish was one of the best preparations of that fish that I have ever tasted. You can not go wrong with The Cavendish London - an absolute treasure!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear RBorden73,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are delighted that we are your choice of hotel in London, and I know the whole team will be so happy with your comments about everyone being exceptionally helpful. I will be sure to pass on your comments about the Salmon to the whole kitchen team who I know will be delighted.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the hotel, my 1st stay I could not fault a thing. This time there were a few things that put a damper on my 30th Birthday weekend stay. There was confusion over our luggage when we checked in- it had not been sent up to our room as we had been told it had. The shower was not very good and the temperature difficult to control. On check in they needed a debit card to hold the balance of the stay plus an extra £100 for any additional charges that may occur. On check out we decided to pay the balance using a different card. We checked out on the sunday and the money that was being held from check in was not released back into my bank on the sunday which resulted in over £400 being held by the cavendish until the following saturday. So don't make the same mistake we did! On the plus side we had a fantastic view on the 14th floor overlooking the London Eye, the room was lovely and location superb.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Melody S,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback, I am disappointed to hear that your second stay was not as good as your first especially as it was such a special occasion. If at all possible it will be really useful if you can let me know what room number you stayed in that way I can follow up with the Concierge team about what happened with your bags and our Maintenance team to ensure the shower gets checked. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your debit card, like all hotels when guests check in we take an authorisation on the card that is presented. If a different card is used for payment we are not able to use the same authorisation code so the system releases the authorisation automatically but the bank can take 2-4 days to release it, depending on your bank. I can only apologies for the confusion and that the process was not fully explained to you.

I hope that we can welcome you back for your next special occasion to show you our true levels of hospitality.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have stayed here for three nights.The room,a classical one, was small for two persons carrying two medium size suitcases. The bathroom was also small. We didn't have breakfast because we found it expensive for us. Our room did not have a lovely view because it faced the yard and the roofs of nearby buildings. But it was quiet,and clean. The staff was excellent. The air con worked perfectly.The location is ideal for central London,close to (Green Park and Piccadilly) tube stations.
Room tip:avoid classical room. Ask for a high room face the street.

Room Tip: Room tip:avoid classical room. Ask for a high room face the street.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear xristina90,

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted to hear that the team took such good care of you during your stay and that you found everyone to be excellent, I know they will all be very proud about your comments.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My stay at The Cavendish London was nice. The guest services team was very helpful and friendly upon check-in although there was a small glitch with payment which took a bit to resolve but was done gracefully. The room itself is comfortable but the amenities were a bit basic. Room size was extremely small to the extent that there is hardly any space for baggage so when you have your suitcase open it blocks the tiny pathway between the bed and the wall. There is a tiny gap between the bed and the desk. However, the hotel itself is in a great location on Jermyn . Street in the west end of london and within walking distance of Picadilly, St. James, Regent's Street, etc. as well as transport links. The concierge was extremely helpful and was great in helping me resolve various issues on my last day before travelling. They really went out of their way and were extremely knowledgeable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sammooha,

Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted that the team took such good care of you during your stay. Thank you for also letting other guests know about our great location and how close we are to so many of London's attractions.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The summer special rate provided great value for a centrally located, well appointed hotel with friendly service - especially in the bar. Within easy walking distance of Green Park tube station (at £50 per night parking, public transport is an option well worth considering), Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, the Ritz and loads of other "must see" sights around London, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the "made to order" breakfast menu is a must - the eggs benedict and omelette were delicious, as well as the "tea leaf" tea, which we hadn't had in years. I wouldn't necessarily have an evening meal in the restauarant again as the service was very slow (the printer ran out of paper and our order got lost!), the portions were on the small side and the air con was very chilly. However, the restauarant does discount deals which offer reasonable value for Central London. Overall a wonderful anniversary break so thank you to the Cavendish!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear stewb50,

Thank you you very much for your review and we are delighted that you had such a good stay and that the team were so friendly, and I will be sure to pass on your great comment about the bar team. I am delighted to hear about your breakfast being so good, but very disappointed to hear about your dinner experience as I can assure you this is not the level of service we are looking to offer and I will pick this up with the team, so thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Excellent location. Within walking distance to all major sites and close to the Picadilly tube station. Convenient location to return to rest during the day in between sight seeing. I had a superior queen room but it was terribly small. My husband and I had to take turns moving around the room. One of us had to sit on the bed while the other moved around. The bathroom was a decent size. My 2 adult kids had a superior twin room. Their room was a decent size but their bathroom was small. Very clean and staff is friendly. Tesco supermarket 3 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear vashtin,

Thank you very much for your review and for letting other travellers know about our great location and how close we are to so many of London's attractions and that we are walking distance to the theatre's, restaurant's and of course Oxford Street the longest shopping street in Europe.