“Excellent stay”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #122 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We found the staff welcoming and the room comfortable. The location is perfect for some of London's most iconic sites. Close to underground and buses and Fortnum & Masons. Our only complaint was the slow elevators.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewbyR
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear NewbyR,

Thank you very much for your great review and I hope that you had a great trip to London. Thank you for letting other travellers know about our great location and how central we are to so many of London's attractions. Thank you for your feedback regarding the sped of the lifts and this is something that we are actively working on at the moment.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to the UK.

There are newer reviews for The Cavendish London

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was playing a lead part in the musical Alchemy being staged at the Jermyn Street Threatre so it was a no brainer
to book into the Cavendish for the weeks run. The car was taken by their safe and secure on site basement garaging service and our cases left at reception as our room was a little late becoming available. We were given complimentary drinks while we waited. The welcome was friendly and the room very good if a little tight. We asked for a view and my goodness we got one. From the Houses of Parliament to the Eye to the Shard, St Paul's, Docklandsand round to the Post Office Tower. Tea and biscuits in the room ...... Lovely.....complimentary water etc. breakfast was fantastic! Our neighbours were noisy first night but things settled down after that. Wonderful stay. Thank you The Cavendish.........we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Loobabe,

Thank you very much for your great review and I hope that the show went well. I am delighted that the team took such good care of you, we are lucky to have a team who are so passionate about looking after our guests and ensuring that they have such a good stay in London.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have had several business stays at the hotel in the last 6 weeks as my London office is just around the corner and it ticks all the boxes except for one. The location is perfect for a peaceful stay being located off Jermyn Street with little traffic. The ambience is very pleasant, the staff exceptionally friendly and approachable. However, the Classic double rooms are'bijoux' to say the least. For example, there is no space to locate your suitcase, either leaving at the opposite side of the bed (which I did) or park it in the small corridor between the bed and the shower room. If you are staying with a partner, then it is even more of a challenge as to where you store your cases. My wife is joining me on my next trip, so it 's going to be fun moving around the room!
In my last room, I had to move a seat to get into the wardrobe (which is fine for one person but certainly not enough space for two due to to the ironing board being stored inside). The rooms are furnished well with all expected amenities.
I recommend the restaurant's Pre-theatre dinner 3 course menu. The restaurant is very pleasant and the staff exemplary regarding service and friendly manner. The food is excellent - imaginative, well prepared and presented and very good value for money compared with others in the locality. The bar on the ground floor is small but intimate.
Breakfast (at £22.50) is a little pricey unless included in your rate. There is a menu for 'cooked to order' if you do not want to eat from the well stocked hot and cold buffet. I had room 1208 which had stunning views across London taking in The Shard, London Eye, The City, Post Office Tower etc.
If the roomsize is not an issue for you, then The Cavendish is, in my view, a 1st class, well located central London hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a 'City' facing room from the 10th floor upwards
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear willpettit,

Thank you very much for your great review about the hotel and the team as I know that they will all really appreciate it, and no more so than the kitchen team. We change our menu every 3 months to ensure that all the items are local and seasonal.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have visited London many times and have stayed indifferent parts of town. As we were going to see the Summer Exhibition we decided on The Cavendish as it s close.
From the moment we checked in we felt very welcome. The room was large for London standards with everything you need for a comfortable stay. All staff was very friendly. Breakfast was a big surprise with so much fresh fruit and a warm menu to choose from.
Only little minus was the tiny bathroom.
We will definitely be back and no, we hVe not been paid to write this review!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear reina2705,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us. Nitin our Head Chef and his team will be particularly happy with your comments about breakfast. We try and source as much of our produce as we can locally to ensure that everything we offer is not only sustainable but also the best quality available.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Not a single room in this hotel has two beds; only queen and king beds available. If you have young kids and don't want to co-sleep, your only option is a superior room with a cot. Classic rooms are too small to fit cots.

The kicker? The Cavendish charges £40 per cot per night! I found this ridiculous given cot service is usually complimentary in the U.S.

This is not the only 4-star hotel in Mayfair, better options are out there if you have kids and want to stay in the very central Mayfair neighborhood.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Neil B, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Rohk19,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback, we do have many rooms with 2 separate beds however not in our lowest room category only in our Superior and Executive rooms. We do charge £40 for an extra bed in the room but do not charge for a baby cot. That must have been an error on our side for which I can only apologies and If you can please let me know the date of your stay and the name of the booking and I I will get that refunded immediately. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit of London.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

When I next return to London (which I hope to do often), this is the only hotel I plan to book. The location was perfect, in a safe location within walking distance of all of the sites my family wanted to see. The staff was exceptionally helpful, even assisting to facilitate the repair of a flat tire on our rental car. The room and amenities were spotless. We had lunch in the hotel restaurant and I must say that the pan seared salmon dish was one of the best preparations of that fish that I have ever tasted. You can not go wrong with The Cavendish London - an absolute treasure!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear RBorden73,

Thank you very much for your great review and we are delighted that we are your choice of hotel in London, and I know the whole team will be so happy with your comments about everyone being exceptionally helpful. I will be sure to pass on your comments about the Salmon to the whole kitchen team who I know will be delighted.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the hotel, my 1st stay I could not fault a thing. This time there were a few things that put a damper on my 30th Birthday weekend stay. There was confusion over our luggage when we checked in- it had not been sent up to our room as we had been told it had. The shower was not very good and the temperature difficult to control. On check in they needed a debit card to hold the balance of the stay plus an extra £100 for any additional charges that may occur. On check out we decided to pay the balance using a different card. We checked out on the sunday and the money that was being held from check in was not released back into my bank on the sunday which resulted in over £400 being held by the cavendish until the following saturday. So don't make the same mistake we did! On the plus side we had a fantastic view on the 14th floor overlooking the London Eye, the room was lovely and location superb.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Melody S,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback, I am disappointed to hear that your second stay was not as good as your first especially as it was such a special occasion. If at all possible it will be really useful if you can let me know what room number you stayed in that way I can follow up with the Concierge team about what happened with your bags and our Maintenance team to ensure the shower gets checked. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your debit card, like all hotels when guests check in we take an authorisation on the card that is presented. If a different card is used for payment we are not able to use the same authorisation code so the system releases the authorisation automatically but the bank can take 2-4 days to release it, depending on your bank. I can only apologies for the confusion and that the process was not fully explained to you.

I hope that we can welcome you back for your next special occasion to show you our true levels of hospitality.