“Excellence in all aspects”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #141 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had a long stay in the penthouse at Duke's last month. We had very high expectations and Duke's managed to exceed them all! Where to start? From the wonderful service at the front desk, to our lovely room, through to the ultimate in staff training and service at all levels. On arrival, we asked for a number of changes to our room which were cheerfully accommodated immediately by an army of staff, led by manager, Emilie, who all arrived at once, so as not to inconvenience us more than one time.

The concierge, Iain and Majeur, were wonderful. They handled a number of theatre bookings for us prior to our arrival, and were able to meet our needs for specific type of seat and days. They also were invaluable in identifying great places to eat in the area and making reservations-from fine dining to gastropubs. A wealth of up to date information.

We breakfasted at the hotel most days, and the staff in the dining area, starting with Arthur and extending to all, was outstanding. We also dined at 36 and had great food, including the little extras, and terrific service.

Alessandro in the bar, and his staff were wonderful on the two occasions we were lucky enough to go to the world famous "martini bar." Intimate, so make a reservation!

Our housekeeper, daily food service to the room and all the other little details of personal service made it like at stay at Downton Abbey for us!

We hope to make it our London home away from home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy B
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review. We always aim to provide a home from home for all of our guests and to exceed expectations. We are all delighted to hear that we succeeded! Also, it’s lovely for our team to be recognised as we do invest so much in them to create and deliver memorable experiences. I do hope you are well and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Debrah Dhugga

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

On our second trip to London in two years, we decided to try this hotel. And it ended up being one of the best choices we made! The rooms are a tad small, but adequate, quite OK actually for London. The bathrooms are nice. The rooms are clean, well maintained, and well appointed. They have a nice little gym, and the Duke's Bar is THE BOMB! Drop in for the famous Vesper Martini, its strong and tasty. Great service by Alesandro and the rest of the crew there.
They also maintain two private rooms that can be used by hotels guests 24 hours a day, the drawing room and the champagne room, great for late nights since we were with a big group who liked to keep things going late at night. The service is top notch all around. And the location is possibly the best location you can have. A stones throw from the heart of Mayfair, easy access to transpo, and walking distance from a myriad of great spots, Green Park, Picadilly, Soho, etc.
There really isn't much more you could ask for in a small boutique hotel. Give it a try!
Room for improvement: the beds could be more comfortable and there aren't a lot of outlets if you have many electronic gadgets to charge each night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank for you taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed in London 4 times in the last month for business and always I choose Dukes as "home away home".
The location is perfect, central and but quite. The rooms are well decorated, confortable and bright.
I never had a breakfast as I am always in hurry in the morning but I like grab a "coffee on the go" in the lobby.
The staff is always polite and all are always smiling at the reception.
Definitely I will go back again on my next visit in London.

Room Tip: I always book a Classic Room, reasonable price and good size considering other hotels in London. I...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you very much. We always aim to provide a home from home for all of our guests and to exceed expectations. We are all delighted to hear that we succeeded! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visit London every year. This hotel ranks as one of our favorites. The location is second to none. Easy access to the tube, steps away from Green Park, and a 10 minute walk to the west end theater district. Now as far as the hotel itself....The staff is EXCELLENT. It was amazing how they recognized you as you approached the desk to get your room key. Never once did we have to say our name or room number. How is that for legendary service. There is no way you could single out one person for their excellent service and attitude. Everyone was just wonderful...
The rooms are well appointed, comfortable, quiet, and well laid out. Lots of nice details....
If you stay at this hotel you MUST visit the bar. The martini's are a bit pricey but who cares!!!! The service, presentation and memories are well worth the price!! If you don't visit the bar your stay will be cut in half.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TonyN76

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Duke's Hotel in St. James in London is a very authentic British hotel situated in London centre. The hotel is located out of the way on a side street on St. James Place and away from the city traffic but within waking distant of Trafalgar, Oxford Street, Pall Mall, and Piccadily. The hotel takes a formal and more subdued tone with muted colors, dark woods, upholstered furniture and an elegant historical ambience. The staff at the front desk and entry are welcoming, friendly and very tuned to the needs of the guest.

My room was spacious by London standards. The room was very clean, quiet, well appointed with crown moulding and a plush carpet, with a formal dark wood writing desk and stuffed chairs that still made room for an ample, comfortable and firm bed accompanied by half a dozen pillows. Closets were well illuminated and spacious. WiFi was complementary. The room had the usual flat screen television. The bathroom was outfitted with a shower tub combination with a very spacious sink and counter.

Staff was very pleasant throughout my stay. I had room service one night that was delivered on time and was well presented and prepared. Morning breakfast was served in the lower dining room and was done with attention to all details. The hotel has tendency to go big for scented candles in the reception area which are personally not to my favor, but otherwise I was extremely comfortable throughout my stay.

A highlight was a reserved table at the intimate "Thirty Six" Bar with friends Friday night. Martinis are the specialty and are served to perfection. The bar was jumping most nights; a reservation is strongly recommended.

Have now been to the Duke's several times, and will return during my next visit to London.

Room Tip: Have a drink at the "Thirty Six" bar but please make a reservation.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well and we are now becoming your London home. Our team here at Dukes London are so pleased with your comments and support. We look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Do not lool further if you are planning to stay in London for business or with your family (I did or do both). This is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are spotless, the gym is great (with a steam bath) and more than anything else the team is just amazing. Do not forget to grab a cup of coffee before leaving the hotel in the morning. It is the best in the town..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be and it’s lovely for them to be recognised. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Having stayed at Dukes a couple of days ago, I must say this place is amazing. The hotel use to be a house before, you really get the feeling that you are in a big house, not a hotel. From the moment I walked in I felt at home. The staff, friendly, efficient and always willing to help, the location, the food, the martinis...I cannot wait to go back with my family!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Violet S
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special time with us. We always aim to provide a home away from home for all of our guests and to exceed expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

Warm Regards,