“Top notch boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #128 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Geneva, Switzerland
“Top notch boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

excellent repeated experience whether for business or leisure. nice rooms and perfect staff
Price wise quite fair.highly recommended. very good breakfast
location is very convenient
a perfect british experience

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for such a lovely post. Our team here at Dukes London are so pleased with your comments and support. I do hope you are well and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Debrah Dhugga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Everything that could be said about The Dukes Hotel in London is frankly extremely positive.

From the convenient location to the quality of its premises, from the comfort of its suites and rooms to the privacy of this enchanting boutique luxury hotel, everything at The Dukes is extraordinary and unique. But moreover what really makes the major difference and places the Dukes Hotel in the top tier band is the quality, professionalism and charming personality of all its staff. They are all delighted to run the extra mile to make you feel at home and treated like a "duke".

Management, reception staff, porters, butlers, room service, restaurant team and of course the people at the famous and unforgettable bar, all my gratitude goes to them.

And it goes without saying that we will be back as soon as we can.

7 Thank Vicente S
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Staff:

All very helpful and pleasant. Made to feel very welcome and important. Should be said, we spent very little time in the hotel, not using bars, restaurants or spa, so I cannot comment overly on those functions.

Rooms:

Comfortable, nothing special. Clean and functional bathroom. Large bed with a firm mattress made for a lovely night sleep. Good climate control in room, although noisy. We ended up opening the window instead but then you contend with the C. London background noise. Couldn't really win either way but we settled on the outside noise and air-con off.

Location:

Tucked away from the hustle bustle but just 2 mins to Picadilly with all of it's luxurious shopping and attractions in one direction. 5 mins in the other you are at The Mall, Buckingham Palace or enjoying the sunshine in Green Park.

Conclusion:

Great hotel if you can afford to stay. there will no doubt be better bargains out there but if location is the primary aim and money is not a huge concern then this is where you want to be staying in London.

Room Tip: We were in 503.
2 Thank danstewartuk
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for taking you time to provide your feedback regarding our lovely boutique hotel. Our team are working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team.
Regarding Air Condition, please provide us with your contact details as our Reception team would like to update your profile and to allocate you a quieter room with less electrical noise for your future stay.
I do hope you are well and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I returned to Dukes Hotel 25 years after we had spent the first night of our honeymoon there. The hotel itself was fine, clean and the food (we only had breakfast) satisfactory.

However it was on the whole a disappointing experience in comparison with our experience 25 years ago. Two things happened which put me off side as soon as we arrived. We arrived in our car and were greeted by a porter. We had prearranged the valet parking but when I mentioned this to him he called out the price "that'll be £58 sir". This is totally unnecessary and just indicated his lack of sophistication - it was embarrassing. Then when we got to the desk the booking sheet indicated a twin room, when I had expressly asked for a double bed. Now this turned out fine as they converted the bed to a double which was fine but again disappointing to have to make clear the error. The very delightful Jasmine did her best to recover the situation but a room booking system which cannot give an accurate reflection of what a guest has booked is not good enough really. Then the porter who took our luggage to our room looked too long at his hand at the £1 I gave him as a tip for bringing up our luggage. Just plain rude. It was difficult to make myself understood when speaking to the staff whose English seemed quite limited.

However rooms were fine - if rather dull - we had chosen a room with a sofa in it so slightly up the price range. But by the time we had got to the room the effect had already been shattered.

The side rooms downstairs have charm - the bar and drawing rooms for example. The restaurant itself in the basement was a bit of a disappointment. The overall impression was of a hotel which was trading on being an English classic, with badly trained or managed staff and a refurbishment since 25 years ago which may have provided more rooms but lost a lot of the charm it once had. Disappointing. If I had been booking a bed and breakfast in Manchester or something like that, this sort of thing I would take in my stride but really not good enough for St James's.

4 Thank AlexMPease
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience of DUKES LONDON. The team and I were disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations when you stayed with us.

I can only apologise re the parking however It is our policy to verify the price for Valet Parking your car with our guests in order to ensure that all parties are aware of the charges which will be placed on the room.

I am saddened to here that you disliked our rooms I can only apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy the restaurant. As we work only with high quality products, we endeavour to provide dishes similar to haute cuisine which you should experience on your next visit. If you prefer our Michelin starred chef would be happy to discuss any suggestions you may have.

Myself or our Operations Manager Emilie Polastron, emiliepolastron@dukeshotel.com, would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you directly. If you would please provide us with your contact details and we will be in touch as your comments are not the usual standard or feedback we would receive from a DUKES guest, I only wish you had mentioned during your stay or on your departure. I do hope we can discuss further.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

In general, I don't usually stay in boutique hotels, although an except or two are made based on location and/or reputation. This is due to a lack of a frequent hotel points scheme or just a feeling that one is taking a chance on the service/room quality. However, after reading some of the reviews and hearing that Ian Fleming have used the facilities, my apprehension was pushed aside. The night manager who checked me in was very professional and even remembered my name when passing by in the hallways a few days later. Very impressed. The rooms were clean and very functional. Athough an older hotel, it looked like they recently updated the carpets. One thing for sure, it was not musty. My room was on the 5th floor, but the old-time elevator(sliding door and metal scissor gate; so cool) on reached the 4th floor. Yeah, it's got its quirks. The old-school bar cart and chair-side martini service was a nice treat. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at Dukes and would come back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriel L
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Dukes, and we loved it! The hotel is intimate, refined and very welcoming. We arrived at around 9:30am after a red eye flight from the United States. Our room was ready and waiting, and we started our day with a delicious breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. The hotel graciously gave us an upgraded room as well as champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries to make our stay even more memorable. The renowned bar exceeded expectations... great atmosphere and we enjoyed the artful drink menu. The head bartender/manager is truly a master. Beyond the hotel's walls, we couldn't have loved the neighborhood more. So much within walking distance... Churchill's War Rooms, Buckingham Palace, terrific shopping on Jermyn Street and Piccadilly. We very much look forward to staying here again! (Quick note... they don't have a swimming pool that I am aware of, but I accidentally hit the swimming pool rating below, and can't seem to delete it.).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aimee F
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special and memorable time with us. Our team here at Dukes London are so pleased with your comments and support. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home from home.

Warmest Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We spent one night at the Dukes Hotel as a birthday treat for my husband. Great location, delicious Sunday brunch and breakfast, delicious cocktails, excellent welcome and service, lovely Ren products in bathroom. We were upgraded to a luxury room as part of a spring package - the room was large enough but I was perhaps expecting a little more luxury. Apart from that, it lived up to expectations and was a most enjoyable stay.

1 Thank Simon M
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014