“British Charm”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #135 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is beautiful and the staff are friendly and efficient. The room was small but clean and the bed was very comfortable. It was near shopping and famous tourist spots and not too far away from a Tube station. It was our first time in London and our first time staying here and I'm definitely going to stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team are working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It has been quite a few years since we last stayed at the Dukes and, sad to say, I wasn't quite as enamoured as I have been on previous visits. On the positive side, the staff were extremely courteous and helpful as always and the location of this hotel is hard to beat in London. The hotel even recognized my husband's birthday and sent a delectable small dessert up to our room which was a nice touch.

But I did feel that - given the price tag of over 500 pounds per night - some things were just not up to par. For example, we were sad to find that the beautiful buffet breakfast which was there on our last visit has gone. Now you need to order from the menu which was fine but limiting.

One or two things about the room were also lacking. We booked a Luxury Room which claims to have a "sitting area". This is a bit of a stretch. There is no "sitting area" - merely an arm chair tucked in behind the TV situated in the perfect position for stubbing one's toe during nocturnal visits to the loo. Only one luggage rack and four coat hangers on arrival which - although quickly corrected on request - didn't jive with the price tag for this hotel not to mention a strictly rationed one small bottle of complementary water per person per day. And, trust me, you don't want to go anywhere near the mini-bar as the prices are usurious. And then there is the hair dryer situation. Admittedly the hotel is constrained by UK law that prohibits hair dryers in bathrooms, but that being the case, the hotel needs to place a wall mirror somewhere close to the plug in the bedroom. I literally had to blow-dry my hair "blind". I haven't written off this hotel for future visits but I am inclined to explore other options for my next London visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the small personal touches provided to you during your stay and you loved our location.
In the recent history, we offer a la carte breakfast , however on sunday we offer a brunch buffet.
We are an old style boutique hotel and each room is individually shaped and designed, with different interior and a vanity mirror is available in the room, located inside the drawers.
Thank you again for your time, all feedback is very important to us as it enables us to improve our service to our guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES in the future.
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Spent part of my honeymoon at Duke's 21 years ago.Superior then, superior now. Everything about it is first rate: Reception, bar staff, cleaning staff. Best martini in town. Great location. It was money well spent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Terry F
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a memorable time with us during this special occasion. Our team here at Dukes London are so pleased with your comments and support. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed at Dukes a number of times and have been treated extremely well from our very first visit. Front desk staff are well trained and courteous, as are all the staff. Ian, the concierge is brilliant at obtaining great last minute show tickets. The rooms are classically elegant and it's like a home away from home without all the clamour of a bigger hotel. Our only disappointment is that the prices jumped significantly a couple of years ago in a short period. It's in a great spot, hidden from busy roads, and has super restaurants and shops very close by. Greens Park is close by for transit or a lovely walk to reach Buckingham Palace.

Room Tip: The junior suite is a great luxury!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you very much. We always aim to provide a home from home for all of our guests and to exceed expectations. We are all delighted to hear that we succeeded! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Thanks to United Airlines it took 2 days to get from the East Coast U.S. to London. We were beyond frazzled when we arrived. The air conditioning in my room was not worrking so the nice Italien desk clerk from Verona immediately gave me another room (an upgrade) with lovely air conditioning. This front desk person was exceptional but the young woman at the desk seems to be suffering from the millenial disease of talking too much and listening too little. And in checking out, the Asian desk clerk neither said thank you nor good bye.
But these are small things when the location, decor and general sense of comfort are perfection.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank dishSewickley_Pa

Dear dishSewickley_Pa, Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay in the hotel, I am so sorry your experience has not been perfect in every way.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Hotel and our location;St James's Place is an oasis of calm but just moments away from the hustle and bustle of central London and some of the most iconic sites.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes Hotel on your next visit to London so that you can sample more of our British Charm.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This gem in St James is worth every pence. And it will set you back a few. The rooms are small, but the public spaces are great and welcoming. The bar here is said to have inspired Ian Fleming's James Bond's preferred martini preparation. True or not, they are experts. The location around the corner from the Ritz and walking distance to the glories of Mayfair make this a perfect pied-a-terre in London. If you exercise, there is a serviceable gym/spa on the property, but don't choose this hotel for a grand spa experience. Choose it if you want to feel and be treated like the upper crust who have stayed here for decades.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CCD121
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Our team are working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dukes London in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is probably the first review I write about a hotel stay but I thought it was worth doing it. After reading the excellent review's about this hotel we decided to book a room there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.On arrival we were a bit disapointed as the room was small and in order to dry my hair I almost had to sit on the bedside table to be close to the wall mirror that was hanged in one of the corners.When we left for dinner we mentioned this to the staff at the reception.They immediately offered us to see an alternative room on the 5th floor overlooking the the courtyard that was much more pleasent and spacious and that we were happy with.They not only arranged for our belongings to be moved while we were having dinner but also left a bottle of sparkling wine together with a card congratulating and wishing us all the best! Great customer service and attention to detail,we will definetly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2sunflower2014

Thank for you taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Warm Regards,