“Excellent service!”

Ranked #137 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent service!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had a great time at the Dukes Hotel in London.

The staff is extremely professional and friendly and the hotel is located in a fantastic area of London, with theatres, museums and shops.

I booked the hotel with my family and it has been a really positive experience, I wish I could stay there longer!

Is highly recommended for families, couples and friends who want to experiment the proper London life!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laila433
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special and memorable time with us. Our team, here at Dukes London, are so pleased with your comments and support. I do hope you are well and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest Regards,

Debrah Dhugga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Where to start!! I arrived at the hotel 35 minutes before the 14:00 check in time and was shown to the drawing room. After waiting 20 mins without so much as a sideways glance from staff I gave up expecting to order lunch & a drink. I was shown to my room, which can be politely described as shabby chic... But mostly just shabby! The wi fi connection is terrible making the completion of my work very difficult. The room is hot but to put on the air con is tantamount to having a flight path in the room so loud is the noise. I rang room service to order lunch but they were busy so had to ring me back....! 15/20 mins later they rang back. The simple club sandwich was soggy and I'll formed! The next day we had room service breakfast that cost 48 quid... That turned up cold , soggy toast and elements missing ! We went out all day and came back to have a quick drink in the bar before going to dinner.. To be told it's too full!! Go and sit in the lobby there are 3 people before you!!! This twinned with the filthy top to toe look from the 'waiter'... Oh the irony! So we complained.. (how did we manage to keep quiet for so king!) The point I made to the duty manager Gabriel is that you can't charge 5 star prices and either provide a substandard service or the services 'not be available' for 'whatever' reason! We then went into the drawing room only to witness 2 more individuals complain as to the lack of attention as they wanted to order drinks..bearing in mind the cocktails are £18 a pop, even the most simple minded person would understand the benefit to the bottom line in providing an adequate service!. I then went to the ladies to find I had to wait in a queue..... What on earth was I paying for! No bar service, no toilet service, rubbish food, snobby staff! We cancelled our meal in the hotels restaurant not wanting to risk further disappointment and got a take out! It was mildle amusing to ring down for plates and cutlery...... At no point did we demand any refund or money... However the duty manager contacted the Operations Manager and agreed the refund of room service breakfast etc & a reduction of 25% on the booking...... Guess what they miss understood the charging structure of booking.co and now I'm awaiting a call back with regards to the £100 they've not refunded. What a nightmare! Unfortunately we bore witness to many complaints whilst staying there! Spend your money elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Leedslocal15
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

A quiet oasis of calm tranquility good old fashioned service and superb food and beverage selection
We had visited the bar at Dukes many times but this was our first visit and it was Great.
The staff were so friendly from the moment we arrived very early to the moment we left also very early .
The food has a rating of 3 rosettes which in the UK is very good.
The bar is just divine being very difficult to get a table unless you are a resident the cocktails are ………..sorry ………..to die for !!!!!
You have to try the Vesper Martini created for Ian Fleming the writer of the 007 James Bond
novels
The room was lovely the bed so soft and comfy
I would return.

Room Tip: Well they all would be quiet some might be a little small but ours was a junior suite so fabulous
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ButlerInService
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special and memorable time with us. Our team are so pleased with your comments and support. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked in as a special anniversary getaway - wanting to try something in town. It was everything I hoped - quiet and tucked away - it felt like our own cosy little corner of London.
Service was fantastic and all the staff for very friendly - we also had easy access to the theatre in the evening. I hadn't realised they do afternoon tea so will be going back to sample!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well and we are now becoming your London home. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Mirfield
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at The Dukes a few times before, but it must be at least 8 years since the last time, I was therefore interested to see if my latest trip on a Secret Escape deal would show if the standards had been maintained. Generally speaking I am able to report that they have. The check in was quick and very efficient and the female clerk very polite and informative. Having arrived before 2pm are room was not ready so we went off to get some lunch and returned just after 2pm to find our room ready and our luggage already there. The room was quite large with a good size bathroom with all the usual trappings. The room was showing signs of minor wear and tear and my only complaint would be that the air conditioning was very noisy even on its lowest setting and it was therefore impossible to sleep with it on. Only a minor point but could be a pain if the weather was really hot.
The breakfast was excellent as usual but I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that it was a chaotic with lots of staff running around but not doing anything. People were waiting for tables on the Sunday while at least three tables just needed re-setting. Someone needs to take control here. Although I wasn't kept waiting and was shown straight to a table, the service was slow and had I arrived 10 minutes later I would have had to queue.
Overall impression is that this is a nice hotel. Would I stay again? Yes I would but only on a deal, as had I stayed here on their normal tariff it would have cost me in excess of £500 per night and I am afraid it's simply not worth that. At £375 for a two night stay including full English breakfast with Secret Escapes it was a good deal. Hopefully I will be back sooner this time to check it out again

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeterMirfield
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great little hotel tucked away off Green Park.

Booked through Secret Escapes and got a late checkout time. Stayed here one night. Big room, good service, two minute walk from green park station through the park. Friendly and speedy checkin and checkout.

Would stay again.

Stayed August 2014
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for taking you time to provide your feedback regarding our lovely boutique hotel. Our team are working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the future.

Kind Regards,

Rutland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Service on arrival was excellent and staff very helpful. Room & bathroom were both quite small despite it being a superior room but clean and attractive. Little cocktail bar was cosy and drinks were excellent as was service.
However breakfast on both mornings was a disaster. The waitress muddled our orders, on both mornings my cooked breakfast arrived at the same time as the bowl of fruit & yogurt I'd ordered. Wrong drinks were brought , croissants never arrived and we gave up on these. Items we had never ordered arrived at our table,On the second morning we were asked to wait in a small room adjacent to the dining room as no tables were available. We joined 4 other parties in this room and waited half an hour for a table - despite many tables being available but insufficient staff to re-lay them between guests. A general atmosphere of discontent palpable amongst guests and lots of complaints to staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sue h
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Sir,

I was really sorry to read your review and read you did find your breakfast service below your expectation. All of my team strive to ensure that all guests have a the experience that we are proud of and well known for I am truly sorry to acknowledge that we have failed to provide the service up to your expectation.

Due to the size of our THIRTYSIX restaurant and the breakfast demand that we had on those particular dates, we had to ask some guest to briefly wait in our lounge, but I can ensure you that we tried our upmost to accommodate guests as quickly as possible and offer coffee while waiting for a table.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you and hence would be most grateful if you could contact the Food and Beverage Operations Manager, Roberto De Vivo on robertodevivo@dukeshotel.com at your earliest convenience.

Your faithfully