“Tricky to Review”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #133 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having read all of the swell reviews I booked this at an extremely reduce rate - thankfully - through Hotels.com. How did we like thee, let me count the ways:

Location: Excellent, just down from Piccadilly, set in a quiet mews with a very fetching courtyard entrance.

Reception: Staff polite and competent. Good idea at check out to ask guests if they had put items in the safe, a gentle reminder to ensure we had checked our room carefully before we left. Bellmen procured taxis quickly and efficiently.

Room: Small but normal for London standards. Nice linens, good sized bathroom. It's a quaint and cosy property. Air conditioning individually controlled but completely inefficient, can't imagine what it must have been like when 25c outside! Even with our windows wide open all night it was stuffy and miserable.

The significant negatives:

The Martini Bar: The much ballyhooed Martini bar is small, boring and - wait for it - £18 for one martini! I repeat: £18 for a martini with virtually no booze in it. It also closes early, even to residents, on a Saturday night.

Room rate: Our friend paid £330 for a teeny, weeny room and it's not worth it. Continental breakfast is £18. These prices are a step too far for this standard of hotel.

I am reluctant to be too harsh because it is a charming place but overpriced in every way. I also overheard three different people having to query/argue their bill on check out. Sadly I have to say I wouldn't repeat the experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank usagirl
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. Feedback such as yours is key to us. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Hotel and our location; St James's Place is an oasis of calm but just moments away from the hustle and bustle of central London and some of the most iconic sites. Most importantly I am pleased that you found the service provided by the team to your expectation. I am sorry you felt that the Air conditioning in your room was not efficient and I will indeed investigate further. I was also sorry to read your comments on the bar, it is favoured by many people around the world I was sorry to read it was not to your style. It is old world charm serving great martinis which I appreciate may not be to everyones taste.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future to DUKES LONDON, again many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts .

Best Wishes,

There are newer reviews for Dukes Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had a great time at the Dukes Hotel in London.

The staff is extremely professional and friendly and the hotel is located in a fantastic area of London, with theatres, museums and shops.

I booked the hotel with my family and it has been a really positive experience, I wish I could stay there longer!

Is highly recommended for families, couples and friends who want to experiment the proper London life!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laila433
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special and memorable time with us. Our team, here at Dukes London, are so pleased with your comments and support. I do hope you are well and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Where to start!! I arrived at the hotel 35 minutes before the 14:00 check in time and was shown to the drawing room. After waiting 20 mins without so much as a sideways glance from staff I gave up expecting to order lunch & a drink. I was shown to my room, which can be politely described as shabby chic... But mostly just shabby! The wi fi connection is terrible making the completion of my work very difficult. The room is hot but to put on the air con is tantamount to having a flight path in the room so loud is the noise. I rang room service to order lunch but they were busy so had to ring me back....! 15/20 mins later they rang back. The simple club sandwich was soggy and I'll formed! The next day we had room service breakfast that cost 48 quid... That turned up cold , soggy toast and elements missing ! We went out all day and came back to have a quick drink in the bar before going to dinner.. To be told it's too full!! Go and sit in the lobby there are 3 people before you!!! This twinned with the filthy top to toe look from the 'waiter'... Oh the irony! So we complained.. (how did we manage to keep quiet for so king!) The point I made to the duty manager Gabriel is that you can't charge 5 star prices and either provide a substandard service or the services 'not be available' for 'whatever' reason! We then went into the drawing room only to witness 2 more individuals complain as to the lack of attention as they wanted to order drinks..bearing in mind the cocktails are £18 a pop, even the most simple minded person would understand the benefit to the bottom line in providing an adequate service!. I then went to the ladies to find I had to wait in a queue..... What on earth was I paying for! No bar service, no toilet service, rubbish food, snobby staff! We cancelled our meal in the hotels restaurant not wanting to risk further disappointment and got a take out! It was mildle amusing to ring down for plates and cutlery...... At no point did we demand any refund or money... However the duty manager contacted the Operations Manager and agreed the refund of room service breakfast etc & a reduction of 25% on the booking...... Guess what they miss understood the charging structure of booking.co and now I'm awaiting a call back with regards to the £100 they've not refunded. What a nightmare! Unfortunately we bore witness to many complaints whilst staying there! Spend your money elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Leedslocal15
Reviewed 17 August 2014

A quiet oasis of calm tranquility good old fashioned service and superb food and beverage selection
We had visited the bar at Dukes many times but this was our first visit and it was Great.
The staff were so friendly from the moment we arrived very early to the moment we left also very early .
The food has a rating of 3 rosettes which in the UK is very good.
The bar is just divine being very difficult to get a table unless you are a resident the cocktails are ………..sorry ………..to die for !!!!!
You have to try the Vesper Martini created for Ian Fleming the writer of the 007 James Bond
novels
The room was lovely the bed so soft and comfy
I would return.

Room Tip: Well they all would be quiet some might be a little small but ours was a junior suite so fabulous
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ButlerInService

Thank you for such a lovely post. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a special and memorable time with us. Our team are so pleased with your comments and support. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked in as a special anniversary getaway - wanting to try something in town. It was everything I hoped - quiet and tucked away - it felt like our own cosy little corner of London.
Service was fantastic and all the staff for very friendly - we also had easy access to the theatre in the evening. I hadn't realised they do afternoon tea so will be going back to sample!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well and we are now becoming your London home. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed at The Dukes a few times before, but it must be at least 8 years since the last time, I was therefore interested to see if my latest trip on a Secret Escape deal would show if the standards had been maintained. Generally speaking I am able to report that they have. The check in was quick and very efficient and the female clerk very polite and informative. Having arrived before 2pm are room was not ready so we went off to get some lunch and returned just after 2pm to find our room ready and our luggage already there. The room was quite large with a good size bathroom with all the usual trappings. The room was showing signs of minor wear and tear and my only complaint would be that the air conditioning was very noisy even on its lowest setting and it was therefore impossible to sleep with it on. Only a minor point but could be a pain if the weather was really hot.
The breakfast was excellent as usual but I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that it was a chaotic with lots of staff running around but not doing anything. People were waiting for tables on the Sunday while at least three tables just needed re-setting. Someone needs to take control here. Although I wasn't kept waiting and was shown straight to a table, the service was slow and had I arrived 10 minutes later I would have had to queue.
Overall impression is that this is a nice hotel. Would I stay again? Yes I would but only on a deal, as had I stayed here on their normal tariff it would have cost me in excess of £500 per night and I am afraid it's simply not worth that. At £375 for a two night stay including full English breakfast with Secret Escapes it was a good deal. Hopefully I will be back sooner this time to check it out again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterMirfield
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great little hotel tucked away off Green Park.

Booked through Secret Escapes and got a late checkout time. Stayed here one night. Big room, good service, two minute walk from green park station through the park. Friendly and speedy checkin and checkout.

Would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for taking you time to provide your feedback regarding our lovely boutique hotel. Our team are working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. Their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back to DUKES LONDON in the future.

Kind Regards,