“Wonderful London Expereience”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #142 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I was booked into this hotel by friends who were celebrating a wedding at a nearby venue.

Credit goes to the excellant customer service so many quality hotels these days seem to have lost., One of my favorite local hotels in Aberdeen is the Marcliffe at Pitfodels and Dukes Hotel came very cose to matching the excellant quality. The door staff and lounge service team are 1st class. The hotel is situated in an excellant location, my friends and I enjoyed the shoppingf nearby the following day. and returned for an excellant afternoon tea.

The Bedrooms are a very high quality very true English, the cleanliness is second to none. High recommend a very quiet location hotel is hidden in a private courtyar. It does not have carpparking onsite..

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed 12 November 2010

stayed in London quite a few times ,this time at Dukes ,the hotel is lacking quite a number of things to bring it up to date.Room was very poor for the amount charged would have liked a refreshment tray in the room rather than everytime we wanted to have a warm drink had to use room service !!!! at a cost.Breakfast service poor including getting a hair in my food.Won't use again or recommend.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Tucked away in a corner of st James, Dukes thinks of itself as an exclusive London gem, and prices accordingly. I phoned and requested an ultra quiet room, and was assured that this would be provided. On checking in the staff solicitously showed me to a room on the top floor, which was in most respects perfectly nice, even smart.

However, at bedtime I discovered that the hotel's entire aircon plant, about 1000 kw of it, was located on the flat roof above my bed (good old Google earth), and it rumbled and moaned all night. Ghastly. Basically, if you want a quiet night's sleep dont stay in a mayfair hotel, is probably the motto.

Apart from that, the people and the property were perfectly nice, though at £350 a night they should have been!

Mayfair hotels are snooty - expect to be asked to leave the bars if you arent wearing a jacket and tie, and expect to be charged like a wounded rhinocerous. We spent an hour trying to find somewhere to have a (jacketless) drink.

Frankly, for £350 I would choose a river view suite at the plaza on the river, or a room at the Landmark.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Coltbridge
Reviewed 26 October 2010

One of the best! Arrived early and checked in right away! Room and Service - OUTSTANDING!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AAT25
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I must agree with "Golden". This hotel does not compare with its glory days and may well be under different management.

Booking a suite for a one week stay (for approximately just over $1,000 USD per night), we asked for an early check-in and a higher floor. Neither request was honored. In fact, we arrived at 11:00 AM, and were told our room was not ready. We left to have brunch at the Woolsey and a walk around the area.

We returned at 1:45 PM. Not only was the room not ready, they clearly were not on top of the situation, as they had completely forgotten our names and previous conversation (although staff had not changed in the interim).

We waited in the lobby until 2:00PM and had to again inquire as to the availability of the room. We were told that the desk clerk would have to check with a "colleague" and would let us know. I informed her that, since check in is promised by 2:00PM I fully expected to have a room immediately, or would check accomodations at a different hotel.
A miracle occurred and we were shown to our room.

We were disappointed in the suite, which was not representative of the one pictured on the website. (It was The Lord Nelson suite--111-- and located on the first floor.) The view was of an office building and the roof of the Hotel's Lounge/conservatory.

That evening when I asked for ice the front desk said it would arrive shortly. However, over an hour later, it still had not arrived. I called down to cancel the request and the response was "Have you changed your mind about the ice?" Unbelieveable.

At breakfast I was told that we would be charged, even though the rate booked was inclusive of English Breakfast. The dining staff was kind enough to get that straightened out, but I point it out as another weakness in the management of the hotel.
The booking confirmation (made through a very reliable travel agent who handles all of our company travel), confirmed both fruit and a bottle of champagne on arrival--there was fruit, but no champagne.

I was informed that a package had been delivered to us and left at the front desk, but when I inquired they had no knowledge of it. It took a visit to the reception area for me to locate and claim the package which was out in plain sight on the counter.

When we checked out, there was a breakfast fee of just over two pounds on the final bill. I have no idea what that represented, nor did I have the strength to dispute it.
It is a small price to pay for the lesson I learned--NO MORE DUKES HOTEL.

To be frank, that is unfortunate for them, because we are opening a new branch of our service in London and were looking for a home-base for our employees on future visits.

With the exception of the front desk, the other employees of the hotel were quite helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, Dukes was a disappointment to us and does not live up to the hype. We were left with the distinct impression that they do not seem to value business travelers.

In the future, we will spend our $1,000 elsewhere.
Paul and Mary Lou Desmond

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Husband took me to this gorgeous little hotel, just by Buckingham Palace for a surprise weekend away in Sept 2010. We entered the hotel by it's side entrance, (straight to the breakfast room), so took a few mins to work out our way up a level and to the main reception area, where we were warmly greeted by very polite staff. Reception area is small but very elegant. Tall chairs to sit in and watch the comings and goings were very comfortable. We were taken to our room which was below the street level, so we didn't have any view out of the small window, but nonetheless, the room was immaculate, a very well stocked mini bar (with unusual treats), and the shower was to die for! Could hae stayed in that shower for hours, very powerful and the shower head bit unusual. Hotel close by to all you could wish for, a few mins walk from the Ritz and St James' tube station, right in the middle of London, yet so peaceful and tranquil.
Went through the main reception area (off the main street, down a small lane into a courtyard, after a Saturday night out in London and were greeted by very polite doormen/porters.
All in all - 5* treatment, yet you pay for this with their 5* prices.
Definitley recommend!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
DukesStJames, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. It is highly appreciated.We are pleased you had a memorable stay at the Dukes Hotel, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

Kindest regards
Debrah Dhugga

Reviewed 30 September 2010

i am glad to have a wide ranging forum to post an inexcusably poor experience at Duke's this summer.We had been customers for a number of years- probably staying at Dukes 5-6 times over a period of 20 years- at least twice with a grade school child. In those visits, we had been treated with respect, top service, and a luxurious experience. So, when visiting London, enroute to Ireland for 4 days this summer, my husband and I eschewed staying at the Connaught, in favor of the smaller and intimately gracious experience we had come to expect at Dukes. I think management ,or SOMETHING ,has changed since out last visit- 5-6 years ago.
As returning customers, we were stuffed into a very small room on the 4th floor, where we suffered the inconveniences of non-existent shaving/make-up lighting in the bathroom, broken a/c, and because one can't have electrical appliances in bathrooms in England, the hair drying process was carried out standing on one's head trying to sit down at a desk with no mirror, while trying to stretch the cord from too many feet away to nearest outlet- ridiculous. The 4th floor elevator, in "old wing" worked only occasionally. One of us was feeling the heat ( particularly when a/c was broken) badly, and so the 4-story climb up and down was arduous. The a/c was fixed by a very nice repairman who had to drag his ladder into our room and dismantle the ceiling to access the compressor on the roof- all while we were trying to dress for dinner.

After the first day, we asked to be switched to a room where we could at least see in the mirror. When I discussed this with the manger, a guest who was standing next to me echoed frustration with her lighting also. The manager said he'd move us the next day, as he had nothing available that evening. He asked us to pack in the morning ,and porters would move us into our new room while we were out ..We spent a good amount of time re-packing and left our suitcases in our room. Upon returning at the end of the day, we were faced by a blank expression when we asked the desk clerk for our new key. The manager was summoned, and he eventually emerged to tell us that they had been unable to find us a suitable room. So, back to the 4th floor to unpack( again) for 3 more days. No apology or concession whatsoever from Management.

Our only recourse was to report the shabby treatment to our travel agent, who had just booked a honeymooning couple at Duke's - and promptly cancelled it. Never again-

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple