“Heart of Kensington”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #352 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here with our points and were not disappointed. From the beginning, with check-in with Diaina, to the amazing complimentary breakfast, service was definitely key at this centrally located hotel.

There was only one lift, which could prove difficult if the hotel was busy, but we didn't mind taking the stairs down if it was occupied. The bathroom was a bit small, but not surprising as the building was once a row house (for me it was fine and my 6'2" husband managed).

Plenty of light in our room and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room was clean and many amenities within the room were nice bonuses (coffee pot, hair dryer, iron, etc.).

The staff overall was very helpful and service oriented, asking us how our day was or how our stay was at every point of service (if asking questions or entering the restaurant for breakfast).

Special kudos to Diaina for all of her kind help and personal service.

• Stayed: March 2014
Tom H, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for an amazing review! We are thrilled to hear that you found your room comfortable, that is what we're here for after all, and of course the service and breakfast as well, they say it's the most important meal of the day!

Daiana and the rest of us sincerely hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Tom

Write a ReviewReviews (4,017)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have been staying at this Radisson for 15 years now and it continues to improve each time we return. Very nice recent refurbishment. Nice newer carpeting and paint. The decor and furniture is a nice combination of modern and classic styles. The lift is faster and the rooms have new and secure electronic locks.
The restaurant has finally found it's legs with an improved "English" menu.
We can tell that staff has had a lot of additional training in the last couple of years. Everyone is always pleasant and always helpful. All staff smile and greet guests when passing and this always helps.
As usual Ahmed exceeds expectations. He always takes good care of us each time we visit.
Darius is also very accomadating and helpful.
We look forward to returning to our "home in London".

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for an amazing review!

We are delighted to know that you like our ongoing attempt to improve certain things around the hotel and of course our most important asset, the service. Just wait and see what we have further in store for our restaurant!

Darius, Ahmed and the rest of us very much hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

You will receive a lovely warm welcome at this plushy comfortable hotel situated in the hub of South Kensington. Great to access Central London hot spots and also the cultural facilities of the Natural history , Science, and V and A museums, a short walk away.
The hotel is tres chic with interesting decor and gorgeously draped Victorian windows. The staff are amazingly polite and attentative but not overly so. The afternoon tea is definetly worth partaking in!
The rooms are spacious and smart with a contempory feel.the bed was a delight as the mattress was firm but very comfortable and because the windows have luscious flock drapes and are glazed the hustle of London outside seemed worlds away , had the best sleep in ages!
It was very suitable for our London overnight theatre trip and was so easy to get in and out of London we would definetly do this again. It was lovely to have some quality couple time again.
I would definetly recommend it,
They even have a Gym but we did not have time to go ,maybe next time.
Claire Norris

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room facing the front. It was classed as business but was large and spacious and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Claire,

Thank you so much for your grande review!

We are thrilled to hear that you found us to be comfortable and warm, well located and chic!

I cannot thank you enough for such an amazing review we are over the moon that you enjoyed your experience here so!

We sincerely hope to see you again soon so you can try out our gym!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

In spite of my status Elite, I was received in the check in with an offer of upgrade paying a height while I am ELITE and while the upgrade of room(chamber) is understood(included) in the offer!!!!
The staff, set apart in the bar in very courteous summer when in the reception it in catastrophic summer!!!!!

It is 3 times faith whom I am very disappointed of the Radisson group !!!!

And no compensation was proposed to me in spite of frightens them "Yes I can"

A shame!!!!

Even Dyut Manager was not capable of making the slightest effort!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gius A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review.

We will continue to look into and discuss this matter with you personally.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice and I've enjoyed my stay very much both times. When booking this hotel you accept that it has turn of the century charm (that is the previous turn of the century) with all that goes with that, squeking floors, small bathroom, narrow corridors etc., but I like that much better than a sterile modern hotel. Between my two stays there has been made much needed improvements to the windows and the door locks which I appreciate.

The location is very fine, close to the Underground, bus service, a couple of nice restaurants within a few minutes walk and a quite nice neighbourhood.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear are very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tor,

Thank you so much for your great review!

We are so happy to hear that you notice and enjoy the improvements that we are always making and of course the location of the hotel.

We hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Was booked into here as a place to stay in central for the night. Check In staff were extremely friendly and despite a few hiccups with my card (They don't accept Electron) I was shown to my room.

My room was on the ground floor and was extremely small. I mean, They had a desk set up with room to work but the bed was so close to it that I couldn't get the chair out from under it. It was more ergonomic for me to sit on the end of the bed and type. I could also hear the guy in the room next door and vivid vocal detail of the television programme he was watching and even his movements. Very thin walls.

I'm a bit of a vocal complainer when things are this bad (and it's not very often, My reviews on here are usually very positive) so i went to twitter to complain, Someone at Radisson must have been keeping an eye out because within a few moments i got tweeted asking for my room number and a call came through from the manager who moved me to a much larger room, The room was extremely big and included a desk i could actually use, However the wi-fi in this new room kept dropping, perhaps to stop me tweeting :P

All in all it's a nice hotel but because of the buildings age, it suffers from having it's share of small rooms, creaky floors and a very unusual layout.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a larger room to the standard size they provide.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tom H, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly as we hold service above all else.

I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with your original room but hope you enjoyed your new one. I was also sorry to hear of the wifi issue you encountered however I can assure you that it was not an attempt to hinder your tweets!

We are nothing but grateful for candid feedback of this nature as it allows us to review our standards and improve our levels of service and product.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have stayed at the Radisson in Edinburgh several times and at the Radisson at Heathrow. This Radisson came a very poor second. The room was very small, the bathroom very cramped, we were promised champagne and chocolates and had to ask twice for them. Evening set meal choice was poor. Breakfast choice was poor and the selection inadequate. Waiter was non-existent until I went to find him - we had to wait 20 mins and we were still not offered tea or coffee until we spoke to the breakfast manager. There was obviously a jam and butter shortage. Catering for continental guests who like a selection of Wurst and cheeses was almost non-existent. I expect the same from all Radissons' - its why I go there and why I pay - sadly disappointed with this one and will not be going back. I'm very sorry to have to make these comments as the Radisson is my go-to luxury hotel chain I also apologise if I sound harsh but you expect hotels in a chain to be as good as each other - go to Heathrow or Edinburgh Radisson - much better

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sun are VERY hot
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Thank Jacqueline Vict... W
Tom H, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you for your candid review, we thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback which allows us to step back and review our service.

I was very sorry to hear that our meal selections were not to your taste, we have menu change overs to fit the seasons so perhaps you could come by for dinner another time.

I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with the size of the room you were allocated and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.

As I am sure you are aware, space is at a premium in central London and therefore the rooms at this particular location are smaller than the rooms in Radisson hotels in other cities around the world.