“Thank you for a wonderful time, Tanja!!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #346 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Dear all,

please mark my words, as a consistent business and leisure traveller.
The reception and treatment I got at the Vanderbilt hotel was exceptional.
I have to hail Tanja (receptionist) for all the work she put in to make my stay at the hotel worthwhile. and for all concierge travelers coming to Britain, GO TO THE VANDERBILT!!

best regards K

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay S
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Kay,

Thank you for your compliments to us all and especially to Tanja.

we are all very pleased with your endorsement of the hotel, and would like to continue to be your host hotel for all visits to London.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights in the Vanderbilt in May 2014. I booked a room for myself, my Wife and our Daughter. When we checked into the hotel,Reception informed us we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a Business class room as it would be more spacious for the 3 of us. Sounds good i thought, Well it wasn't! The room had a queen size bed and a sofa which we were told was a sofa bed. The sofa wasn't made when we arrived so we asked for the bed to be made up for when returned that evening. When we did return the room was still as we left it! We were then informed by house keeping that this sofa bed was in fact only a sofa! So at 10.30 pm they proceeded to bring in a fold away bed. Next problem, no where to put the bed as the sofa took up so much room! It ended up with this sofa stood up on its end lent against the wall where it stayed for the rest of our stay! Not exactly the service you would expect from a £200 per night hotel!
The following morning we were asked by Reception if we would like to change rooms but having only one night left it seemed pointless to have to pack, unpack and then repack again! We did ask if the sofa could be removed but it wasn't, not a massive problem, but as i said, not exactly the service i would expect. The other issue with the room was the ventilation fan in the bathroom, which ran continuously, quite annoying when trying to sleep!
Generally the hotel seemed quite nice. We had lunch in the restaurant one afternoon, the food was good but the service was poor.
To sum up my stay i think my review it title says it all - Not to bad but will not return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Warren,

Thank you for staying at the Vanderbilt Hotel.

I am sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay with us, and please be assured that I will have this followed up with relevant members of staff to ensure such experiences are isolated.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

A last minute change in my schedule meant that my usual hotels were all booked up, so I took this opportunity to try somewhere new... variety is the spice of life and I was hoping to find something a little more intimate than my usual haunts.

First impressions were great, the hotel has that boutique feel that I like and as a frequent visitor to some of the mainstream chains, it made a refreshing change. The check in staff were friendly and after a long day the light hearted banter about why I hadn't visited before was
refreshing - it was nice that I'd been upgraded from a single to a twin which I assume meant a bigger room so all was looking promising.

The public areas were well kept, clean and the decor in very good taste... I was shown to the lifts and a high standard of decor and cleanliness was maintained in the corridors... but sadly, that is where my good feedback ends... I really wanted to like Vanderbilt - it's convenient, it had that boutique feel... but it was down hill from the moment I entered my room... firstly, the quality of decor was way below the public areas of the hotel and it the level of cleanliness wasn't what I'd expect. In the bathroom I found a used face cloth in the wash basin, the wash basin was very slow to drain and the complementary water had already been opened and half drunk.

But I was tired, it had been a long day so I ignored that, I had work to do and the wifi in my room kept failing - assuming that I was just unlucky and in a badly covered area (I appreciate this happens) - I opted to head down to the bar to try the wifi there, have a drink and a
bite to eat.

Again the staff were friendly, drinks were served quickly, as was the food. Sadly, the wifi in the bar also kept failing / running extremely slow - they clearly have a problem (I work in IT so am pretty convinced it wasn't me).

The food wasn't particularly special (someone had got carried away with the deep fat fryer and it was dripping in grease), but it did fill a hole so at the end, I tipped a smaller than usual amount and retired for the night.

Imagine my surprise when the following morning I found an additional "optional" tip on my itemised bill - when I queried it, I was told it was optional and if I'd like, they could remove it for me... as a result I was asked to then sign a piece of paper to say that I had "refused to
pay" the optional amount. This is quite aggressive language and incredibly cheeky in my opinion.

I'm not one to usually complain, and I travel frequently and spend half my life in hotels so know that things will go wrong - but having had so many things be wrong, in what accounted for a touch over 12 hours was impressive - None of them on their own would have prompted me to write such a damning review - but if my experience is anything to go by, all is net well at the Vanderbilt.

As a good will gesture, I wrote to the Radisson customer support email address with details of my experience... but with over a week passing with no reply - I thought others should learn from my experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nomadic_Yorkshireman

Dear Guest,

thank you for your candid comments.

I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay in our hotel, and please allow me to assure you that all matters you have addressed are being investigated and followed through so that corrective actions are taken.

If you can please be so kind to contact me directly prior to your next visit so that I can personally ensure that you are well looked after with us.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

From the moment my sister and I arrived it was a wonderful experience. We were greeted very professionally and courteous. Our room was small but very clean. It was our first time in London and the staff was very helpful the whole 9 days we were there. We had breakfast there every morning and the food was great. Being so close the the tube station was also a big plus.
Mr. Mishra the General Manager was very kind and made sure our trip was all it could be. We had a wonderful time. I loved it so much I am going back again in the fall.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie M
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Debbie

Thank you for your wonderful compliments. My team and I eagerly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A fabulous hotel . Cosy sofas and authentic fireplaces. The staff were efficient and very welcoming. Our room was a very nice size beautiful front facing window , elegantly decorated , furnished well equipped and clean. Breakfast was first class and the location was excellent. Thank you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tonybony71
Ahmed M, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Tony,

Warm regards,
Ahmed

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have used this hotel 3 or 4 times a year for this 20years. I always stay by myself on business. But I never felt lonely. Because this hotel is located on bustling street ( but not noisy), very near the tube station and there are many shops and restaurant . Staff is all kind , pleasant and cope effectively to the problem so quick.
So next time i 'll stay in this hotel again !

Room Tip: I like the front side with sun shine, But the back side is quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank 757fuji

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic experience at the Vanderbilt Hotel. Our customers are paramount to us and I am heartened by your kind comments regarding the staff and service you received at the hotel. I am also happy the hotel location was convenient for you.

Warm regards,
Ahmed

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very good location and near enough opposite Gloucester road tube station. Very awkward layout because of the alteration to the buildings, as per another review on here it was extremely hard to navigate the long corridors with anything more than a shoulder bag. Check in staff upon arrival very friendly, afternoon tea was a shambles. It felt more of a money making add on in the breakfast hall rather than something with any organisation. Recommend booking somewhere alternative for tea rather than having it at the hotel. Bar staff had no idea how to make any sort of drink more complex than something in a bottle out of the fridge. We were at the hotel as total of 26 hours, and upon heading to our room after check in at 13:00 there was a dirty room service tray outside a room next to ours. Despite observing several staff walking past it, it was still in situ upon our departure at midday the following day. Breakfast was quite a delight and the shining part of our stay, thoroughly recommend bothering to venture down for anything you can think of to start the day with. After breakfast when our room card stopped working, getting trapped in the lift going up & down was a strange experience because you needed the key to operate the lift. Check out was like something in a comedy show, the 'trainee' as described on his name badge 100% fitted the bill. He decided half way through the process to attend to a taxi driver arriving to collect two americans with the baggage despite mid conversation with us. At this point we left the hotel, passing him on the outside with no acknowledgment that we were even there. Still to this day not know if we completed check out..

Room Tip: Rooms at the back do not face the busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aaron,

thank you for your candid comemnts. We have made a note of your suggestions and will ensure that corrective actions are taken from our end to ensure we identify ways that could have improved your experience with us. Kindly note, that our restaurant will be undergoing a substantial refurbishment at the end of July which will only imporve our commitment to 100% guest satisfaction gurantee.

If I can be of any specific help, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the hotel reception.

The Vanderbilt Hotel