“Christmas at The Egerton”

Egerton House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Christmas at the Egerton was delightful. It is just the place you would want to be for a charming old fashioned Christmas. Like being at home with all the work done for you. The Christmas decorations were stunningly tasteful. There was a beautiful real Christmas tree.
The inviting lounge with roaring fire was so comfy, just like being at home. There was a relaxed atmosphere and it was lovely being able to chat with staff and guests.
There were nice touches like a Christmas stocking with pretty gifts plus stockings for my two dogs.
My dogs were thoroughly spoilt by the staff; furthermore there was absolutely nothing that was too much trouble for them to do. The manager Michelle was so kind and even came in on Christmas Day.
Of course one can't really write a review without saying the location is excellent. Close to Harrods, museums, Hyde Park, and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank shining-one
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas at The Egerton House Hotel and that you felt that it was just the place to be. It is a home away from home and with the Christmas tree, the stunning decorations and the roaring fire, not forgetting the Christmas stockings and Santa’s visit it did feel very special. I am delighted that you enjoyed the doggy Christmas stockings, we cannot forget about them. The atmosphere was very relaxed and cosy and a good time was had by one and all and I am really pleased that you felt that nothing was too much trouble and that the dogs were thoroughly spoiled.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future so we may spoil all of you again.

Michelle Devlin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights the week before Christmas to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.
We had high expectations before we arrived but they were exceeded.
We were looked after by all the staff to a very high standard, every whim was catered for.
There were lots of nice little touches which made our stay memorable, such as little treats left in our room and complimentary drinks in the bar.
The concierge reserved a table for us at Le Gavroche for dinner, this is after I had tried to get a table there for years without success, so if you want anything similar, do ask the hotel in advance.
We had heard about Antonio's Martini's so we had to try one or two, caution don't drink these on an empty stomach, they were delicious but lethal.
All in all we had a fantastic time and will certainly make this our London home from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dane D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the site following your stay before Christmas and it was our great pleasure taking care of you on your very special anniversary.
It is so rewarding to hear that you had high expectations and that they were exceeded. We do work incredibly hard to ensure that each and every guest goes away feeling that they have been well looked after and that every whim is catered for. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the little touches and that you managed to try one of Antonio’s famous martini’s albeit lethal.

I am delighted that we managed to successfully get you a table at Gavroche and hope it was also a memorable experience.

I have passed your kind words to all the team and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

What do I have to add to the previous reviews. This small hotel and staff are do service oriented that you feel like being home away from home. Of course the rooms are one of a kind with extremely comfortable beds. The level of attention to detail in each and every room is remarkable. Great guest amenities and large bathroom with shower in the bath. Free strong signal wifi and comprehensive office in your room makes this a great business stay as well. Try the martini cocktails at the bar all supplied by the very friendly and well educated bar staff. Oh nearly forgot the location couldn't be better very close to Harrods and Knightsbridge. Surely it's not cheap but if you want to spoil yourself and your partner you cannot make any mistake choosing this Hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank stalenbu
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Egerton following your recent stay with and I am thrilled that you were well looked after and that you felt like it was your home away from home. I am also delighted that you liked your room and found the beds to be extremely comfortable. We do pride our selves on the level of attention to details in all rooms and try to anticipate what our guests needs and wants. Our complimentary Wi-Fi and abundant stationary drawers do make it a great business stay as well and a visit would not be the same without one of our famous martini’s which I am pleased that you got to sample.

I have passed your kind words to everyone who appreciate your time and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Warm regards

Reviewed 20 December 2013

What separates this hotel from other high class establishments is the quality of the staff. We recently spent a week there and were delighted with the care, attention and plain good manners shown to us, especially as neither of us were very well.
It may lack the glitz of a modern boutique hotel but it more than compensates with its warm and homely welcome.
It is a pleasure to be looked after by such delightful people.
We will return.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Giffers

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and it was our great pleasure to take care of you both. Thank you so much for your lovely words about the team which I have passed to one and all. We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and that you will consider The Egerton to be your home away from home and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Warm regards

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was here for one night in November, and took a junior suite or the equivalent. Now London is an expensive place for hotels, so space is at a premium, but despite that - I think that the word suite is a mite too far for a sofa at the end of the bed. But you be the judge. Time also, I think, to give the bathroom a workover, as separate shower and bath are now the standard which boutique five star hotels in Kensington and Chelsea need to meet, at least in my opinion.

And if we´re being picky: if I want to be picked up at the airport then I´m doing so because I have a tight schedule - I don´t want to wait for the driver for 20 minutes. I would have been better off taking a taxi - and to be frank it would have been cheaper too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
14  Thank SwissFrenchBrit

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the site following your stay with us in November and I am sorry to hear that you did not feel that the suite justified it’s title
and that it was only a sofa bed at the end of the bed. They are in fact quite spacious and we have 4 studio suites ranging from 34 to 39 meter square. I appreciate that you felt that the bathroom needed a work over as a separate shower and bath are now the standard for 5 star properties but it is an old property built circa 1820.

I am sorry if you had to wait for 20 minutes at the airport, the driver should have been there to meet and greet you on arrival and I will be conducting an investigation to see what happened.

I am saddened that your visit wasn’t what it should have been and that you were disappointed with your stay and I am grateful for your honest feedback.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed in a "suite" for two nights. It was old-world pretty - chandelier, canopied bed, etc., but not really a suite. No separate living room area, just a couch pushed up against the end of the bed. Although they've gone to some effort to modernize, the bathroom is very small (combo tub/shower), and the bed not the most comfortable. The high point of the visit was the excellent martini in the tiny but charming bar. I took advantage of breakfast service one morning, and it was not great - in fact the croissant was pretty darned awful. All in all, it was a decent stay, but given the price point and the lack of gym and spa, I wouldn't go back. Honestly, I'm not sure how it earned such a high rating on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Carla K
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with and we very much appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that the Victoria and Albert suite was not available when you were with us as this does have a bedroom, bathroom , sitting room , walk in shower and terrace which would have been more suitable for your needs. The suite that you had is actually one of our studio suites and while it is quite large it doesn’t not have a separate living area and the bathroom does have the combo tub/shower. We certainly have gone to a lot of effort to modernise as it was built circa 1820 and we do maintain it to the highest possible standards. It is a pretty and pleasant hotel and we are in a great location and I am thrilled that you enjoyed a martini in our cosy drawing room. It is rather charming. I have taken your comments on board and can assure you that we want every guest to have a happy and memorable stay and I am only sorry that we did not do this for you.

Thank you once again for your honest feedback and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The location of Egerton House is just excellent. Right in the middle of Chelsea and Kensington, but in a secluded street. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The Bar, run by Antonio, is a charm and a must go. To be perfect the rooms could be a little bigger

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NunoVaz
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on the site for us and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt that the hotel was excellent and in the best location in London. I am also delighted that you found the staff to be nice and helpful and I have passed you kind words to everyone. Our bar is a little gem run by the martini’ maestro himself and indeed his martini’s are a must. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and we would be delighted to show you around as our rooms are all very individual and vary in size.