“Dark and unwelcoming”

Ranked #830 of 1,068 Hotels in London
uk
“Dark and unwelcoming”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I felt that we were put in the worst room because I had a child. We were put in the far depths of a dark basement room. My child is very quiet and causes less noise than most adults.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed here for one night with friends. On arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff and complimentary tea, beautifully served in the elegant lounge area of the hotel reception. Our room (2nd floor on the front of the hotel) was pleasant and benefitted from large windows which opened - great if you want fresh air. Beds were comfy with two pillows each and crisp white cotton sheets. Bathroom was spotless with excellent and powerful shower and I liked the little basket with shower gel, shampoo, body lotion etc. There was an air-conditioning unit in the room which unfortunately, only worked intermittently and was rather noisy. Our friends (whose room was on the back of the hotel) could also hear a dull rythmic thud until the early hours from the nighclub nearby, so you might like to invest in earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Hotel is well placed for museums just a few minutes walk away and South Kensington tube station about five minutes. As breakfast was not included in the price, we chose to eat out so unable to comment on the food. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay in this comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the nearby nightclub.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Fakenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed here for one night to go to the proms at the Royal Albert Hall and chose based on location and what turned out to be photos of nothing I actually saw in the Hotel. We booked a King/Queen bed and got two twin beds pushed together and the receptionist seemed to find it amusing that we questioned this and actually stated this is what all the hotels do. We had to leave the bathroom door open to use the toilet as there was not enough leg room betwen the toilet and the door and the shower cubicle was so small and an awkwardly placed that you had to have limbered up and used several yoga positions to get in it. There were cracks in the sink and the windows didn't meet their frames. The staff barely looked up from their computers or reading materials to speak to us when we asked a question and seemed to be unaware of the presence of any guests as they conversed about girls, going out and getting drunk loudly in broken english. The only good part was the breakfast although the staff were very rude the food was nice and a good selection on the continental buffet. In short, we got punked out of our money and the supposed English Elegance was definately missing.

Room Tip: Ring before you book and do not stay in room 205
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed here on Tuesday after a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Great room. Great late night food. Friendly service. All in all it was £20 more that another four star hotel near the Albert Hall but much much much better.

One slight criticism - the shower was a little low, and lacked pressure. That said it was not intolerable.

Room Tip: Use Booking.com
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The rooms are very tired and in need of refurbishment. We had a triple room with no window - it was like being in a cell. The furniture was broken and dated. The beds were past their best. Decoration was oldfashioned. We had a lift on one side of the room and a nightclub on the other which played loud music until 3:00am. The wallpaper in the hallway had grafiti on it. There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Bathroom needed updating too. The staff were not very friendly either. Will not be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Staying at Gainsborough Hotel

I stayed at the Gainsborough Hotel for almost a week, and frankly- it was the worst hotel I've ever visited.
First of all- the phone was broken in my room, and it couldn’t be fixed. They did offer to transfer me to another room - but just the day after.
The second room I was transferred to was even worst- It was so tiny that you had to move thinks in order to pass from the bad to the toilet, and it had no closet so I had to put my stuff on the desk, the bathroom was broken and the air-condition didn't work. Asking for another transfer was too much- and I was offered to pay more and upgrade my reservation in order to get another room.
And it wasn't the end- the service was horrible, there was a false fire alarm that was on for more than 5 min in the middle of the night, both rooms were very noisy, and more and more..
As a physician I travel a lot, and I've never been to such a worst hotel.
I really think it deserved less than 2 stars , so that other guests wouldn't be misleaded like I was
Dr S. F

Room Tip: don't come to this hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stayed here and wish I had not bothered.

Overpriced rooms are small, basic, old fashioned and in need of modernising. Room was on the 3rd floor, lift not working, surly uncommunicative staff who seemed to only have a basic grasp of English and must have missed the lesson on manners!

After departure I called the hotel back within 10 mins to say I had left my shoes in the room. I had to call back three more times over the next few days to chase this up as nobody called me back. I was eventually told that my shoes could not be found.... No surprise days later! I asked to speak to the manager (Mr Ambrose) to complain, but was told that he would not take my call and will not deal with complaints. The staff would also not tell me who owned the hotel and told me to direct my written complaint to the hotel general address.... I.e. The people you are complaining about are the ones who deal with your complaint!!

Seriously frustrating, definitely one to avoid!!

• Stayed April 2011